• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Carter

Carter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,459
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Picked this up at a yard sale recently, not marked but looks US and I have no idea what it is or what it is used for, can you please help?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/img5205k.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/img5204l.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/img5203yn.jpg/

#2 Carter

Carter
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

Sorry about the title spelling, should read Unknown Nylon Case

#3 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

Senior Mod, Criag Pickrall is the member you need to ID this!

#4 Big Al

Big Al
  • Members
    • Member ID: 101,332
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

It says 'South African' to me.

#5 BigMoose

BigMoose
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96,071
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

hrm.. US Alice pouches didn't generally have VELCRO on them... (The DAGR pouch is an exception to this)

#6 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

I have the same pouch but do not know what it is. I found mine at a surplus store in the FT Bragg area.

#7 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

I've seen them, but do not know who made them, or what they were intended for.

#8 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Can you get some dimensions?  I have an inkling that it is a scope case, either Night Vision, or weapon of some kind.

#9 sgtmonroe

sgtmonroe
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,045
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

hrm.. US Alice pouches didn't generally have VELCRO on them... (The DAGR pouch is an exception to this)

It is not ALICE.

Can you get some dimensions?  I have an inkling that it is a scope case, either Night Vision, or weapon of some kind.

hawkdriver is going to be correct as nylon cases with hook and loop tape fasteners indicate use with optics or other delicate electronic devices (such as PVS, GPS, and Stinger power supply). The use of metal or plastic fastening systems may damage the item during transport.

#10 Carter

Carter
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

Like you hawk, some kind of scope case was my first thought when I saw it. The main body measures 11" overall with the top closed and has 5 1/2" dia. opening while the side pockets both are 3" deep with a 2" opening....(BA30s?).  The 2 side D rings lead me to think something heavy was carried in the case that needed a shoulder strap of some kind to help support the load. 

#11 BigMoose

BigMoose
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I know it's not "ALICE System", I was referring to it being an Alice era style and era looking pouch.

It's going to be hard to tell unless a grunt who used it chimes in.

I will say it is maybe not a scope pouch, all the rifle scope pouches I have ever seen had zippers... But perhaps it's a stand alone night vision pouch.

Metal rings may mean earlier in the 80s? I know that the later NVS pouches went to plastic rings at one point.

Edited by BigMoose, 19 April 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#12 BigMoose

BigMoose
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hrm, Those side pouches. They look like the size of the typical battery used on a lot of night vision scopes.

BA-5567/U

PVSBATS.jpg

Edited by BigMoose, 19 April 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#13 ccyooper

ccyooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,641
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

If Craig had not indicated he picked one up at Bragg I would have said, to flimsy for any Army contract item to carry a NVS.  However, my first thought when I saw it was some sort of scope with battery packets on the side, not US military.   I believe all the soft cases we had were thicker (padded?) or were hard cases.  The two tone edging and sewing looks Asian to me but this is the first I have seen of this pouch, but it does look familiar.. just cannot put my finger on it...medical?

#14 Carter

Carter
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, the fellow it was bought from said he got it at a surplus store about 25 years ago he guessed, he was an older fellow with a bad memory he admitted so was not sure of exactly when he got it. He thought it was USGI at the time it was purchased.

#15 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

If Craig had not indicated he picked one up at Bragg I would have said, to flimsy for any Army contract item to carry a NVS.  However, my first thought when I saw it was some sort of scope with battery packets on the side, not US military.   I believe all the soft cases we had were thicker (padded?) or were hard cases.  The two tone edging and sewing looks Asian to me but this is the first I have seen of this pouch, but it does look familiar.. just cannot put my finger on it...medical?

I disagree, everything on that case screams USGI.  The velcro tape is correct, the webbing for the clips is correct, the nylon is the correct color.  It is possible that this is part of a SKO.  Sub component of a set of something.

#16 Carter

Carter
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

I disagree, everything on that case screams USGI.  The velcro tape is correct, the webbing for the clips is correct, the nylon is the correct color.  It is possible that this is part of a SKO.  Sub component of a set of something.

Well hawk, I also think this is USGI, just had the correct look but did not want to say so until I read what forum members thought, did not want to influence their thinking in any way.

Carter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users