MAAG INDO-CHINA SSI for Review

carbinekid

I just picked this up and I'd like some opinions. The round MAAG patch looks fine, but I'm not sure about the tab. I haven't seen very many MAAG INDO-CHINA tabs so I don't have much to compare it to. Any thoughts?

T2eC16VHJGIFFoZEwPfBRJimPifg60_3_zpscb35be12.jpg

KGrHqJHJDYFFSIfDJPqBRJimQyw60_57_zps0797d29d.jpg

vintageproductions

This is exactly how most of them were worn. A standard issue shoulder patch with a chain stitched arc.

River Patrol

These early "Indo- China" tabs are harder to find than Maag Vietnam

These early "Indo- China" tabs are harder to find than Maag Vietnam

Thats what I've always heard and experienced first hand. These tabs were only made from something like 1954 through the 1956 or so, right?

Nice set!

here is mine for comparision.

The Vet 's estate that this and all his other patches came from said that he was in from WW2 thru Vietnam era, mostly as advisor to the south east Asia area and in Germany. patch is still starched and looks to have been removed from fatigues.

post-629-0-94914600-1366126554.jpg

post-629-0-77030100-1366126566.jpg

Patchcollector

I started a MAAG thread some time back.One of the MAAG patches in my collection is an IndoChina piece.In addition,there are some other MAAG patches there too.

Your "bottom" piece is definitely standard issue.However,I believe that Terry K.'s and my examples are very well constructed theatre made pieces.I was told by the guy who sold me mine that his Uncle was over there around 1954.I always thought that the MAAG teams were there in the early to mid 50's only.But recently,I found a website that stated that the teams were there starting in the late 40's!I'm going to try and find that site and post a link.In the meantime,here is a link to my MAAG thread from this forum:

http://www.usmilitar...do#entry1241334

BTW,15 is a great price,nice bag! :)

Patchcollector

Did anyone else notice the what appears to be merrowed edge?

Mine has a "merrowed" looking edge,and if you look at Terrys',his does too.It is a handmade edge,very nicely done I might add.

I'm going out on a limb here but Terry's is the type of merrowed edge styles you would see in-country (i.e. Thailand made period patches). I am NOT saying the original posted patch is fake or anything like that. It is in fact the exact same style chain embroidery you would certainly expect from this particular patch and from the era it was from. However, the edge looks like the GI could have brought it stateside to be reinforced. COULD THIS HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE? Chain stitched patches held up very poorly in the elements they were exposed to. Unless I can have it in hand to feel, this is what it looks like in the pics.

By the way, I always considered the MAAG Indochina in the 75-150 range.

period theatre made insignia

I just want to see how commonly these chain stitched patches had heavy reinforced embroidery on them.

post-2063-0-88271300-1366157930.jpg

I hate to put my two cents in but why would a vet bring a shoulder title 5-6000 mile home to put a border on it.This is a classic MAAG Indo China done over there with no alterations.I have owned dozens like this one and they are almost mirrors of each other for every period variation there is a new tailor or patchmaker trying to make a living. I think sometimes we try to overthink the obvious why would a vet who most couldnt give a crap about their insignia he wore do this to a shoulder title.PS if Bob Chatt finds nothing wrong with it put your money on him.Scotty