December 7th, 1941.....USS Oklahoma Purple Heart.

Jack's Son

As every medal group is sombering the recovered items really make you feel the loss with this one as others have said.

thanks for showing and honoring this sailor.

Brandyn

Thanks for posting such a rare and touching group. It gives meaning to those names on the memorial, that they were more than just numbers.

aerialbridge

Thanks for posting these dramatic images. The symbolism of Pearl Harbor salvaged relics, such as the salt-rusted and pitted Good Conduct Medal, the stained and matted drape, the bar dated “1940” just the year before but so far removed in consciousness from the “day of infamy”, the once-gilded buttons, and that heart-wrenching, corroded crucifix that were all once owned and worn by this sailor transcends his sacrifice alone. These hallowed mementos signify not only his death and that of his brothers on what should have been a bright Sunday morning in peacetime and the valley of tears shed by their loved ones but also the dedication and reverence of the salvage crews that painstakingly and selflessly dived, dredged and sifted through the horrors of that day, in dangerous conditions, for many months, with one of their missions to reunite these few forlorn and tragic relics with the next of kin, and thereby seek to give them some measure of consolation.

RustyCanteen

This is just speculation, but I really wonder if the buttons weren't removed from a uniform that had been recovered from his quarters and returned whole (fouled with oil) to his next of kin.

If so, looking at the GCM ribbon drape I can see why they may have discarded the uniform.

carbinephalen

I'm at a complete loss for words. What an emotionally charged group. Was this sold in an auction?

How will you choose to display it Robin?

Yes, this grouping was available through a JFP auction in March. At present, I don't know the final display outcome for the group. Perhaps I will see the appropriate setting while I'm out browsing for something completely unrelated. :)

Robin,

I couldn't stop thinking about this group. This is probably the most iconic pair of medals I have ever seen from one of the most significant days in American history. The contrast between the beautiful Purple Heart and the corroded Good Conduct Medal signify the despair, sacrifice and hope of World War two.

Dick

BigJohn#3RD

Robin,

Very moving and thought provoking group for a sailor who gave his life in the opening moments of the entrance of the United States into World War Two. The man was a true patriot who could have left the service in 1939 or 1940 as the clouds of war continued to build off of our shores. A true Iron Man who served on the wooden decks of a magnification battleship. May he rest in peace so nobly and courageously continued to serve his nation when he could have stayed home in safety with wife and kind. Thank you for sharing this moving group on the forum.

Regards,

John

Very special grouping. I wondered who bought this!

Adam Rohloff has a set of recovered medals from the Oklahoma, but his are to a survivor.

Kurt

• 4 months later...
mylittlebirdie

Jack's Son:

James Thomas Cheshire was my great-grandmother's brother. I'm including a picture so you can see the man who earned those medals. He and his two youngest sisters, my great-aunt Rosine and my great-grandma Mary, were like the Three Musketeers when they were growing up. They played together and got into trouble together too!

I was wondering if you'd consider a situation where the medals could be returned to the family. I'm not sure how they ended up at auction, but my grandmother Joyce was understandably dismayed when I told her about her uncle's medals being sold. If I had seen the auction back in March I would've pursued it then, but I had no idea that they were no longer in our family.

I understand if you're attached to the medals. They are a beautiful group. I was just hoping you'd consider returning a piece of our family's history to us. Thanks so much for listening!

Karen

post-129098-0-91883200-1376620570.jpg

mylittlebirdie

Robin and I had a wonderful, amicable discussion. I'm finding out that he's a kind, generous man, but you all knew that already, I'm assuming! Robin is keeping the beautiful grouping currently, and I'm relieved to know that he'll give them the honor and respect that they and my great-great-uncle deserve.

Karen;

This group is in good hands; they will be treasured and treated with the utmost dignity and respect. Robin is a great caretaker of this, and many other groups.

Please do stay in touch and let us know how your and your family are doing. Many of us appreciate and encourage the interest and involvement of family members.

Ed