• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kklinejr

kklinejr
  • Members
    • Member ID: 99
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

If you guys wouldn't mind humoring me, this is a stack of ribbons I have yet to ID from a collection of 300 I purchased awhile back. Do any of these ribbons ring a bell with you? I just realized that row two (from top) ribbon 3 (second to right) is the ROTC Military profciency award. Any other ideas? (seven rows total, some have pinback, top row center has Korean war era heavy clutchback).

Ken

Attached Images

• Ribbons.jpg

Edited by kklinejr, 15 January 2007 - 05:48 PM.

#2 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 11,856 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

Look into AFROTC, NROTC, or JROTC awards. I don'e see any Army ROTC that ring a bell.

#3 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:36 AM

Some of these may also be JROTC ribbons. Unfortunetly, I don't have a good guide on these.

#4 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 11,856 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:27 AM

Try gruntsmilitary.com

They have various rotc/jrotc ribbons shown.

#5 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:49 AM

Here is a website that should help, I did not try to find your ribbons but at least some of them should be there.
http://medals.lava.pl/index.htm

#6 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:52 AM

I spotted at least one Civil Air Patrol ribbon in there (thrid one up from the bottom on the extreme right looks like the Grover Loening Award), and several look like State Guard and/or National Guard ribbons.

#7 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:53 AM

I spotted at least one Civil Air Patrol ribbon in there (third one up from the bottom on the extreme right looks like the Grover Loening Award), and several look like State Guard and/or National Guard ribbons.

#8 kklinejr

kklinejr
  • Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the websites and tips, guys. 10 were found...16 to go.

Row 1 #1 (from left ) -Chennault Trophy (AFROTC)
Row 2 #3- Military Proficiency Award (AROTC)
Row 3 #3 - Good Conduct (JAROTC)
Row 4 #3- Cadet Humanitarian Award (AFJROTC), #4 - Divisional Encampment Ribbon (Young Marines)
Row 5 #4 - #3 AROTC (Old Style Ribbon- still tracing name), Physical Fitness Ribbon (Young Marines)
Row 6 #1 Regional Commander Academic Award (JAROTC), #2 Daughters of the American Colonists Award
Row 7 #2 Leadership Education Training Service (JARTOC), #4 Good Conduct First Award (Old Style)

#9 pmargulies

pmargulies
  • Members
    • Member ID: 233
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

Several also look like ribbons used by the Coast Guard Auxilliary...you can check their ribbons out on various websites.

Thanks for the websites and tips, guys. 10 were found...16 to go.

Row 1 #1 (from left ) -Chennault Trophy (AFROTC)
Row 2 #3- Military Proficiency Award (AROTC)
Row 3 #3 - Good Conduct (JAROTC)
Row 4 #3- Cadet Humanitarian Award (AFJROTC), #4 - Divisional Encampment Ribbon (Young Marines)
Row 5 #4 - #3 AROTC (Old Style Ribbon- still tracing name), Physical Fitness Ribbon (Young Marines)
Row 6 #1 Regional Commander Academic Award (JAROTC), #2 Daughters of the American Colonists Award
Row 7 #2 Leadership Education Training Service (JARTOC), #4 Good Conduct First Award (Old Style)

#10 Tom Pearcy

Tom Pearcy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 244
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

The top row middle one (white/green) looks like one of the type awarded at military schools. I have a white/red one I got a long time ago from a friend who went to military school. Some of your other ribbons might be of that type also.

#11 Homer

Homer
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 5,229
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

Ken...Were you ever able to ID the remaining ribbons? 7th row #1 is one I've been trying to ID for months now. Any luck?

~Take care,
Dave

#12 kklinejr

kklinejr
  • Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

Ken...Were you ever able to ID the remaining ribbons? 7th row #1 is one I've been trying to ID for months now. Any luck?

~Take care,
Dave

Sorry, Dave. I never found that one and ended up giving it to my son for his collection. I'll give a look for the ID.

Ken

#13 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Bottom row, left end is the old style CAP Cadet Recruiter ribbon.
If you can ever get a copy of Greg Ogletree's book on state military ribbons and medals, it is a great investment for identifing some of these ribbons. You will find that many ribbons serve multiple duty with different state and national organizations, including some that are used by the Armed Forces!
All National Guard (by state),and state guards organizations have their own sets of awards. Ditto of course all ROTC classifications, veterans organizations, military auxiliary organizations (such as Civil Air Patrol & the USCG Aux.) and to add more confusion, heritage and fraternial organizations use ribbons. (Holy mackeral, what a mess!)
Besides the book mentioned above, I have a 2" thick 3-ring binder that's full of old ribbon charts (cut-up to fit 8 1/2" x 11" pages), sketches, xerox copies, ect. of ribbon identification. With all that, I've still got a couple dozen unidentified ribbons. :blink:

#14 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,043
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

The right-most ribbon on the second row (light blue/green/tan) is the Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal for the Armed Forces.... The Light Blue Ribbons with 2, 3 and 4 green stripes are USCG Reserve ribbons....

-Ski

Edited by Teamski, 19 January 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#15 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users