WWII Purple Heart Grouping

Javelin4life

Javelin4life

Hello everyone,

Over the weekend, I acquired a small grouping from the grandson of a WWII veteran. The grouping consists of the veteran's Purple Heart and Good Conduct medal, both named to "Leo Mazurkewicz" with a beautiful period engraving (Sorry for the slight blur, my itouch isn't the greatest quality). It also came with the corresponding ribbon bars and lapel pins, of which I noticed the PH lapel pin was an enamel pin. The presentation case is in excellent shape, albeit the fact tat it looks as though Leo's mass card may have been fastened to it with some kind of glue. In addition was a card from Robert Patterson, which says "It is an honor for me to forward this decoration".

I did a little bit of researching and found that Leo was born on October 29th, 1908 and passed away on June 21st, 1996 and was a resident of South Amboy, New Jersey. I'm having trouble filling in the blank for his service, and I have contacted his grandson to see if I can get anymore information, in addition to if he has anything left of his grandfather's war time service. Would anyone be able to help fill in the blank?

All opinions are welcome :)

Alex

post-19935-0-20052800-1365092788.jpg

post-19935-0-96920900-1365092793.jpg

post-19935-0-10266200-1365092801.jpg

History Man

Just did a quick search on NARA and found this:

Pvt. Leo Mazurkewicz, 32155125, family from Poland and he enlisted in 6/6/41. In the US he was from Union, New Jersey. Born in 1908.

Philip

Nice grouping, Alex.

Below is his BIRLS file. Not much else available on Ancestry other than a few city directory listings.

post-29885-0-89033700-1365096678.jpg

Javelin4life

Thank you guys so much for your help!! I really appreciate you helping in putting together the last pieces of this puzzle.

Alex

• 4 years later...
Collector .45

Alex,

I just acquired his hat over the weekend in New Jersey. I would like to make it possible to reunite it with the medals.

- Henry