Really nice WWI aviator group at auction

Pete-o MSU

Wow, I'm not that much interested in owning a WWI pilots grouping, but man, I'd make an exception for that! The leather coat is one of the best I've ever seen and that helmet with the air service star and circle is the first I've ever seen. The boots and all the other parts really make this an outstanding group. I hope someone here picks it up so we can look at it in depth.

The only other flight helmet I have seen like this was on the forum member baker502 had it I believe. Spaulding made the helmet, it's nice having a pic of him wearing it in the cockpit

AAF_Collection

A bunch of people are watching this, already quite few bids. I am betting it goes well over $2500.00.

I'll second that! if I had the cash to spare I'd be all over this,it wouldn't surprise me if it goes over $5000.00,when will you see another like it?.

Matt.

I have to say as well, I was amazed at the completeness of the grouping. The photographs really ties everything together and gives it that ironclad provenance everyone wants. There is a photo of him wearing almost every item there. I think even pieced out the items would bring way more than the auction estimate just based on conditon. Add a name and put it all together, I agree it will go over the $5,000 mark.

Anyone see the 23% buyer premium, that adds to the cost pretty quickly.

Nice group.

I could be wrong but I think this surfaced about 20 miles from me out of the wood work a couple months ago.I heard about a few pieces of art going to auction and a WW1 Pilots set was found as well when they went to get the art and antiques

Plus I know the auctioneer.He is a long time collector as well and know his avaiation items. His auctions garner huge prices.Plus fees as well.

teufelhunde.ret

This would qualify for the center piece of any WW1 aviation enthusiast and straight from the family...

Nice group.

I could be wrong but I think this surfaced about 20 miles from me out of the wood work a couple months ago.I heard about a few pieces of art going to auction and a WW1 Pilots set was found as well when they went to get the art and antiques

Plus I know the auctioneer.He is a long time collector as well and know his avaiation items. His auctions garner huge prices.Plus fees as well.

Sounds like the family knew the art was something and had no clue this set was valuable. Makes you wonder how many times stuff like this got tossed over the years because it was old. Maybe a museum will get in on the bidding, but at least it will be preserved somewhere in a collection.

ludwigh1980

Congrats to the new owner. Wonderful set, wished taxes weren't due in a week. That helmet with the period photo's of it in use is superb.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...
Too Much WW1 Militaria

PJM,

Congrats! You got a great price! About as complete as they come these days. And, an overseas pilot to boot!

John

AAF_Collection

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this group!. Matt.

I'll be posting details of this group soon!

I'll be posting details of this group soon!

PJM,

If you don't already have his home of record, he hails from Ft. Dodge, Iowa and was rated as a reserve military aviator (RMA) in 1918. Really surpurb group. First time I have seen a bullion wing with metal US. Very interesting to say the least. Congrads on a wonderful group.

Terry