13 replies to this topic

#1 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 9,663 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:25 PM

I am very proud to show this uniform, which I got from a very gracious fellow forum member here! It is named to him on the inside and all the insignia matches his service. The ribbon bar is a custom made one-piece set. The only issue with it is the #1 on the overseas ribbon bar which shouldn't be there, however this is not a very big deal. His grandfather was killed in the occupation of WWI as a Major, his father retired a BG, and he finshed as a LTG. He is still an active individual in the engineering field as it can be seen from a google search.

http://en.wikipedia...._R._Heiberg_III

http://www.hq.usace....istory/coe4.htm

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg292/schottzie1/i124.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg292/schottzie1/i125.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg292/schottzie1/i126.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg292/schottzie1/i127.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg292/schottzie1/i128.jpg

Attached Images

• heiberg.jpg

#2 Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,672
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

Very nice uniform! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
One question though, Is it common to see GO uniforms with BOS insignia? I have never seen one. but I also notice his Mess dress photo has BOS on the cuff below his stars.
Is this just a case of "im a GO and I can do whatever I please" or do Engineers GO's still wear their BOS?

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,757 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

Is it common to see GO uniforms with BOS insignia? I have never seen one. but I also notice his Mess dress photo has BOS on the cuff below his stars.
Is this just a case of "im a GO and I can do whatever I please" or do Engineers GO's still wear their BOS?

Wikipedia has this (based on Army Regulation 670-1 (February 3, 2005), paragraph 28-9a(2).):

General Officers do not belong to a particular branch. For this same reason, most general officers do not wear branch insignia on their lapels. They may, however, wear branch insignia at their option. If they choose this option, general officers wear the branch insignia for the position to which they are appointed, or for their duty assignment. Typically, for example, the Judge Advocate General, the Surgeon General, the Chief of Engineers, and all Chaplains wear their lapel insignia of branch.

#4 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 9,663 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:28 AM

Thats correct, also if you click on the second link to see a history of the Chief of Engineers, you will see that they are all wearing Engineer BOS.

Thanks!
Justin

#5 atb

atb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 943
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:43 AM

Thats correct, also if you click on the second link to see a history of the Chief of Engineers, you will see that they are all wearing Engineer BOS.

Thanks!
Justin

The numeral "1" on the Army OSR may be correct. I remember it that way when those three ribbons (OSR, Army Service and NCOPD) were first introduced in 1981. I'm pretty sure a "1" was to be put onto the ribbon to show one qualifying overseas tour. This may have changed later on to the ribbon indicating the first qualifying tour and a "2" being added to show the second tour. I will have to do some research. When I was assigned to a unit in the Pulaski Building in Washington, DC, the Corps of Engineers was also headquartered there. Heiberg was the Chief of Engineers at the time. He retired in the 1980's, I think, and I bought some used, green Class A/Class B dress shirts at the Ft. Myer Thrift Store that turned out to have been his (they were named). I may still have one or two; I'll check.

Edited by atb, 17 March 2008 - 01:44 AM.

#6 seanmc1114

seanmc1114
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,761
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:08 AM

The general's bio linked above mentions that he was graduated from the 1953 class at West Point which I believe would have had a graduation date of June, 1953. That would mean that after attending his basic officer course and perhaps serving in a stateside unit as his first assignment, he would not have been assigned to Korea until either late 1953 or early 1954. He would still have qualified for the Korean Service Medal and United Nations Korean Medal for service up to July, 1954 and that is probably why his Korean Service Medal ribbon does not have any campaign stars. But what I find interesting is that he still wore his 40th Infantry Division patch as his former wartime unit patch into the 80's even though his bio also says he commanded an engineer battalion in the 4th Infantry Division in Vietnam where he earned his Silver Star and I would presume also the DFC, at leat one of the Legions of Merit, the Bronze Stars and Air Medals. Maybe he had some special affinity for the 40th or maybe he wore the 4th patch as a combat patch other uniforms.

I am not questioning the authenticity of this uniform. I just notice little details like this and often wonder if there is a story behind them.

#7 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 528
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

I am trying to recall if I owned this one or the mate to it -- GO's typically had several. I know I saw at leat one other set of his greens, plus several sets of BDUs -- one of which I owned. He wore two different patches on the right shoulder -- both 40th and 4th (I think). This one is right as rain.

G

#8 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 9,663 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen, it is very much appreciated!

I finally found the resume I had for another general dress uniform I have, MG Robert Dacey. It appears that Dacey was the Assistant Chief of Engineers for the Army during the same years as LTG Heiberg. Sort of a neat connection that the #1 and #2 Army engineers' uniforms are back in the same room again!

#9 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

• Moderators
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

Sheesh! I think I had a Dacey too, once.

Did the bios on either/both of these come in black folders with star stickers in the corner?

G

#10 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 9,663 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

No, the Dacey came with some original paperwork and docs, but not the black folder w/ bio or anything.

#11 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

• Moderators
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

Well, you know what I put my research in, so neither of those were ever mine.

G

#12 Guest_HeibergFamily_*

Guest_HeibergFamily_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 1

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hello - I am the daughter of Elvin Heiberg. Someone sent him this post and he's wondering if his uniform is in a private collection or in a military collection. He was also a little curious to know how someone got his uniform since he doesn't recall donating it to anyone. Can you help me understand so I can help him understand?

thank you.
- Kay Heiberg

#13 ADMIN

ADMIN

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

First off, welcome Kay!

Hello - I am the daughter of Elvin Heiberg. Someone sent him this post and he's wondering if his uniform is in a private collection or in a military collection. He was also a little curious to know how someone got his uniform since he doesn't recall donating it to anyone. Can you help me understand so I can help him understand?

thank you.
- Kay Heiberg

Don't know where he got it. But, I might be able to answer some of the questions. It is technically in a private collection. However, I know Schottzie has posted before that he uses these items when he gives talks to school. He's been on the news several times in his area (I'll try to find the link on here). So, the good news is that it is often seen and appreciated by the public and preserved likely better than many (if not most) museums. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Again, no idea how he came to own it. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif Did your dad ever get rid of old uniforms in other ways instead of donating? Such as moving? "Spring cleaning"? That may be the case. Some guys too would give the uniforms to relief organizations for sale.

#14 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 9,663 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

thank you.
- Kay Heiberg

Hi,

I just sent you an email.

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

Justin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)