war bracelet ?

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Hello, my grandfather gave me this bracelet yesterday with my great uncles name on it. When I first saw it, I remembered others like it that have been posted on this forum and on eBay. I think his friends had given it to him when he went to the war. My question is, is there a name for this type of bracelet ?

We're soldiers allowed to wear it ? Just tell me about it if you can.

Thanks

post-101355-13644767853913.jpg

ygyhatu3.jpg

na9abe9a.jpg

AAF_Collection

Hi,

Bracelets such as this were very much in fashion during WWII and were widely worn by members of the military.

Matt.

I have never seen them called much more than an ID Bracelet. I have had them dated as old as the 1880s. They also made them in Nickel and Silver plate later on. Nice bracelet and even better it belonged to your great-uncle.

Here is one of my favorites. It is a Life photo taken somewhere in Italy during the War. You can see he is wearing a bracelet.

post-10825-0-44959700-1364480744.jpg

Screamingeagles101

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be putting it on display next to his pics, dogtag, and ID.

:)

Screamingeagles101

Does it open up? There is of ton a photo and inscription on the inside.

What do you mean "does it open up" ?

It opens up ?

John Conway

Hello, my grandfather gave me this bracelet yesterday with my great uncles name on it. When I first saw it, I remembered others like it that have been posted on this forum and on eBay. I think his friends had given it to him when he went to the war. My question is, is there a name for this type of bracelet ?

We're soldiers allowed to wear it ? Just tell me about it if you can.

Thanks

I'm not sure what branch of service your Great Uncle was in but flying perosnnel often refered to them as "Crash Bracelets". As in any war there was some fear that those K.I.A. might not be identified due to mutilation of the body so a bracelet, in addition to dog tags, would increase the chances of being recognized accurately. The significance of a lot of the little things tends to get lost as time passes. I.D. bracelets were more then a fashion statement. They were often good luck gifts from loved ones but served a very real purpose in the event the worst happened,

strawberry 9

What do you mean "does it open up" ?

It opens up ?

Some of them do. I have one for a gentleman in the AAF and it opens like a locket.

post-100432-0-01443800-1364617188.jpg

Screamingeagles101

Some of them do. I have one for a gentleman in the AAF and it opens like a locket.

post-100432-0-01443800-1364617188.jpg

Wow, that's very nice. But I don't think mine opens.

Screamingeagles101

Actually found several pics of him with the bracelet. This might be a long shot, but judging by the uniform, does anyone have any idea what he was in ?
I'm guessing army.
Thanks.

post-50776-0-34013500-1400089070.jpg

RustyCanteen

Actually found several pics of him with the bracelet. This might be a long shot, but judging by the uniform, does anyone have any idea what he was in ?

I'm guessing army.

Thanks.

http://i1161.photobu...zps7da14204.jpg

Yes, Army for sure.

I agree, Army.

And it looks like he has Engineer collar brass.

Screamingeagles101

I agree, Army.

And it looks like he has Engineer collar brass.

That's what my grandpa thought he was in. The engineers. He doesn't know the exact outfit sadly :(

RustyCanteen

It looks like he has shoulder sleeve insignia (a patch) on the left arm, barely visible though. Do you know what patches he wore?

Screamingeagles101

It looks like he has shoulder sleeve insignia (a patch) on the left arm, barely visible though. Do you know what patches he wore?

I must say, you have a great eye. I did not even see that. I don't have any of his patches sadly. Do you think there is someone on here who can help me with that ?

RustyCanteen

I must say, you have a great eye. I did not even see that. I don't have any of his patches sadly. Do you think there is someone on here who can help me with that ?

You should probably try posting in the "Individual And Unit Research" forum.

Have you tried ordering a copy of his records?

Screamingeagles101

You should probably try posting in the "Individual And Unit Research" forum.

Have you tried ordering a copy of his records?

I have not yet tried ordering his records. I will post the pic in that section.

Thanks.