NGLO (Naval Gunfire Liasion Officer) Uniform Grouping

Tonomachi

I purchased part of a uniform grouping at the flea market that once belonged to a Naval Reserve Officer by the name of Bahman Zohuri. The seller purchased a storage locker in Northern California. I didn't get everything as other people were grabbing stuff off of the ground like Kevlar helmets, load bearing gear, holsters, etc. while I concentrated on the uniforms. I collect variations of the Navy/USMC paratrooper wings and found four sets of DBDU (chocolate chip) uniforms with an embroidered paratrooper wing that I had never seen before. All four sets were alike except two had black on tan Navy/Name tapes and the other two had brown on tan Navy/Name tapes.

post-1389-0-20790900-1364350008.jpg

Close up of medals on his dress whites. I also bought another dress jacket with miniature paratrooper wings and medals.

post-1389-0-94841500-1364350208.jpg

post-1389-0-57844700-1364350235.jpg

I also picked up his DBDC rucksack cover, boonie hat, helmet cover and flack vest cover.

post-1389-0-29241500-1364350489.jpg

I picked up his flight suit which has a patch that reads COMPATRECONFORSEVENTHFLT COMBAT WING ONE CTF-72.

post-1389-0-56446400-1364350758.jpg

I also grabbed his map case containing all sorts of maps, charts, cheat sheets on how one calls in Naval gunfire.

post-1389-0-16016500-1364350879.jpg

post-1389-0-44190500-1364350897.jpg

I obtained what I think is his commissioning certificate. There was some other paperwork that the seller had already thrown away. I know that Bahman Zohuri served aboard the USS Gallant MSO 489,

USS Grant FF-1054, and USS Roark FF-1053 due to the baseball caps that was mixed in with this grouping. I did a check on the Internet and found that Bahman Zohuri has authored three books. How his storage locker went unclaimed and eventually auctioned off I have no idea.

post-1389-0-85506300-1364351068.jpg

Lastly I bought some parachute harness webbing that was part of this grouping as well as his working tans and white uniforms.

post-1389-0-69825200-1364351430.jpg

Here is a close up of the Navy embroidered paratrooper wing that I was interested in as I had never come across this type of embroidery for this type of para wing.

post-1389-0-12658300-1364351679.jpg

Very cool grouping. I worked with a Marine ANGLICO team in Fort Irwin just before we deployed.

I have heard of USMC ANGLICO but not Naval NGLO before. I'm assuming they work together in the field or does NGLO's work for the Army to call in Naval gunfire since the Marine Corps have their own ANGLICO?

easterneagle87

Close up of medals on his dress whites. I also bought another dress jacket with miniature paratrooper wings and medals.

Nice grouping.

Interesting to see the correct wear of the Army Achievement Medal worn secondary to the Navy Achievement on the dress blues. Not sure why it is worn first on the whites.

The Para wings on the Choco chip could have been made while inport some place as the wings have an AF look to them rather than the pointy style they should be.

Nice grouping.

Interesting to see the correct wear of the Army Achievement Medal worn secondary to the Navy Achievement on the dress blues. Not sure why it is worn first on the whites.

The Para wings on the Choco chip could have been made while inport some place as the wings have an AF look to them rather than the pointy style they should be.

I might be wrong, but I believe the AAM does go before the NAM in precedence. I can't find a reference this morning to save my life though. Maybe after a few more cups of coffee. :D

In the Navy, being an NGLO is a pretty dead-end job. Judging from the fact that he served on a couple surface ships before becoming an NGLO, but never earned a SWO indicates to me that he was an 1165, meaning Surface Warfare Officer Trainee who was USNR (e.g. was commissioned via ROTC or OCS vice the USNA) who failed to complete his qualifications as a SWO, and ended up as an NGLO for his last 18-24 months in the Navy. Since he never made it over six years of commissioned service, he never augmented to USN...probably did what we call the "five and dive", in other words, did five years and resigned. Or perhaps, as a SWO non-qual, may have even been separated before his five years of service as he was an officer in the early 90s during the whole post-Gulf War drawdown.

That's my theory...and I'm pretty certain I'm pretty close to what actually happened.

Dave

Interesting...looks like he was commissioned in 1984 as an engineering duty officer...at some point transitioned over to being an NGLO (not a natural progression, incidentally...my guess is that he went SWO and then did NGLO for a tour) and then stayed in the reserves, eventually becoming an LCDR. During that timeframe, it's thoroughly possible he may have retired from the reserves as an LCDR after 20 years, as that would have been 2004. I wonder if he's the same guy who has a PhD and wrote the book about directed energy weapons? Rather unusual career, to say the least.

As an aside, I met a guy who was a LCDR NGLO with a reserve USMC unit. They did a training event on my ship a couple years back when we were overseas. He was very much similar in his career path...and as a reservist, he had been with the USMC unit for over 10 years. As he said he had been "forgotten about" and was perfectly happy doing the job he was doing. A rather unusual fellow...

I have heard of USMC ANGLICO but not Naval NGLO before. I'm assuming they work together in the field or does NGLO's work for the Army to call in Naval gunfire since the Marine Corps have their own ANGLICO?

I'm not really sure. We trained with USAF JTAC's and then did that live drop with the Marines but nothing with the Navy side of the house.