Brush your Teeth! Tooth Paste WWII-Vietnam

RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

Dental hygiene has been drilled into recruits and is often one of the first things they 'learn' to do the military way. Let's take a look at some of the toothpaste brands which may have found their way into a pack or footlocker from WWII-Vietnam.

Feel free to post toothpaste from your collections.

• 7 months later...

"Feel free to post toothpaste from your collections."

Now that is funny, maybe a toothpaste reference thread. You are correct proper brushing and the use of dental floss is taught early in the service. Even more extreme was the proper use of toilet paper its application and technique.

• 6 years later...
EdwardJReed

Very difficult to find these! A NOS original Dr. West's Miracle-Tuft toothbrush in the original glass vile with label. the plastic bottom end cap is missing but otherwise mint condition. These were commonly issued to servicemen during the war and now is part of my WWII footlocker display.

In 1938, DuPont Corporation began manufacturing synthetic bristle toothbrushes. Nylon yarn was used along with molded plastic handles. It was advertised as ‘Dr. West’s Miracle-Tuft Toothbrush’. DuPont claimed it was sealed in glass, waterproof, and guaranteed for a year.

With the invention of nylon During World War II, toothbrushes were marketed to the American homefront supporting the war effort with the slogan of: “Your American Duty…To keep well…and keep working!”

post-205679-0-03863600-1584795290_thumb.jpg

EdwardJReed

Made a great and rare find/purchase today.. a pre 1938 Dr. West's Natural Bristle tooth brush still in the glass vial AND with the always missing plastic seal! Boar bristles were used until 1938, when nylon bristles were introduced by Dupont de Nemours.

No wonder no one liked to brush... hog hair taken from the back of a hog's neck! :D

post-205679-0-32557400-1584817611_thumb.jpg

I know this is out of the date range for this post but I couldn't resist. I've seen original WW1 photos of gear inspections where you can make out the "Pro-phy-lac-tic" brand name on the tooth brush handle. I found this one years ago in it's original 1915 dated box.

Tim

post-192-0-64299800-1584906969_thumb.jpg