Vietnam War US Army Body Armor

New Romantic

post-2571-1222333241.jpg

Ceramic plates of the variable body armo ground troops worn according to the regulations in connection with the M69 nylon webbing (no idea if this system was ever used in the field...)

New Romantic: Thank you for identification my fragmention vest.

Its same as your 2nd described model whereto and I couldnt find any info.

Do you have any pics of label and markings? Unfortunately I have unreadable label.

Can post pics.

Hi Arnie, I read your post a few weeks ago and forgot to reply!

Here's a photo of the tag from the USMC Collectors Site.

post-599-1222563842.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

M1955 FLAK VEST 3rd pattern

date 1969

The third version of the USMC M1955 body armor was made of nylon and had rifle guards on both shoulders. The vest had a ¾ collar made of six piles of ballistic nylon and contained 23 doron inserts in overlapping pockets below the shoulder area.

Hi Arnie, I read your post a few weeks ago and forgot to reply!

Here's a photo of the tag from the USMC Collectors Site.

Thank You

I digged it just before you ansver ;)

So here is mine.

post-3788-1224423487.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

M69 Fragmentation Protective Body Armor

here is the proper way to lace up a M69 vest, the instruction manual says:

If the front and rear sections are not tied together as shown, remove them and replace each side so that they cross on the inside and the webbing strips with the lace eyelets should touch or butt each other, Do not apply tension on the laces. Tie the ends of the laces with a square knot.

If the vest is too tight or too loose, get a buddy to help you adjust for a proper fit by loosening or tightening the elastic laces on each side. Bend over , stoop, and kneel down as a final check for fit.

[after tieing the square knot, I tied the extra lace together like a shoe lace so they dont dangle and look sloppy]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if you dont have a torso to display your heavy armor flak vest, a folding metal chair like this works well to display a vest. Looks better than laying it on the floor unsupported.

if you dont have a torso to display your heavy armor flak vest, a folding metal chair like this works well to display a vest. Looks better than laying it on the floor unsupported.

Yeah, looks like if you put the time into, you can make it a nice display, maybe I should take mine off the floor. lol

Do what we do in the military. We would build armor trees. Take a 4X4 20" to 26". Take four, one foot 2X4s and at one end of the 4X4, screw it perpendicular with the edge one one corner, then the next on the next side, until all four are on making a base. Then take a 2X4X2' and screw it on in a cross pattern. This will allow you to display your armor and close it up. If you leave enough 4X4 out the top, you can put a helmet on it.