VN war HGU/7P flying helmet....comments invited!

Sabrejet

Gentlemen...can anyone out there put this into context for me? It's '69 dated and I know it was used apparently used by "Bird Dog" pilots etc., but it's not something I'm terribly familiar with. How "collectible" is it on a scale of 1 > 10 ?

post-8022-0-47411300-1363879213.jpg

post-8022-0-00101500-1363879221.jpg

Collectability is in the eye of the beholder. For someone putting together a display of '60s peacetime C~130s this would be a "must have" item. The snaps allowed for a "sweep on" style O2 mask which were snapped on instead of using the traditional bayonet style familiar to the regular flight helmet. I still have the bits & pieces of that mask as well as a separate head harness style that adapted to the basic headset style.

However, as desirable as it might be to some I wouldn't give more than $30, the value of the headset alone and only that much because the headset has the U~94 style plugs.

Thanks Bill. So...not strictly a "combat used" piece of kit then? You mention $30....I can tell you that this one, currently on sale in the UK is priced at the equivalent of $ 145! :o

Thanks Bill. So...not strictly a "combat used" piece of kit then? You mention $30....I can tell you that this one, currently on sale in the UK is priced at the equivalent of $ 145! :o

I can see that...but I won't be buying it!!!!! Good headsets at airshow flyers marts typically retail around $30~45 and these are the ones with the correct plugs for the civilian intercom. This model IS evident in one Vietnam video, which I'll have to find but it was worn by the pilot of a HC~130 which never ventured into the actual shooting area except for rocket attacks on Cam Ranh Bay. I'll surmise the lineage of this piece to have come from a UK surplus sale.

So not really what you might call a "typical" piece of VN era combat gear then....in which case I'll probably pass on it. No more "BAT 21" fantasies! :lol:

So not really what you might call a "typical" piece of VN era combat gear then....in which case I'll probably pass on it. No more "BAT 21" fantasies! :lol:

Oh, I forgot about that piece of trash movie. Maybe if it was signed by Danny Glover ;-}

northcoastaero

The HGU-7/P helmet is probably not the hardest helmet to find, even new in the box. I had a used one

with white reflective tape on top of reflective red-orange tape that was added to the helmet. I paid

around $25.00 for it. Had one new in the box for around $75.00. That was a few years ago. Currently,

I could see $100.00+ for a nice complete one. Have seen them used by O-1 and C-141 Starlifter pilots

The C-141 one was without the snap-on bill and had an added HGU-2A/P nape pad on the rear strap. I

have also seen a manual with an HGU-7/P pictured that had a USAF wing decal on the front and snaps

added for the nuclear blast reflective goggles. It is possible that the earlier helmets were made

from fiberglass instead of the later plastic ones. The correct configured MBU-5/P oxygen mask would

possibly sell for $200.00+.

The HGU-7/P helmet is probably not the hardest helmet to find, even new in the box. I had a used one

with white reflective tape on top of reflective red-orange tape that was added to the helmet. I paid

around $25.00 for it. Had one new in the box for around $75.00. That was a few years ago. Currently,

I could see $100.00+ for a nice complete one. Have seen them used by O-1 and C-141 Starlifter pilots

The C-141 one was without the snap-on bill and had an added HGU-2A/P nape pad on the rear strap. I

have also seen a manual with an HGU-7/P pictured that had a USAF wing decal on the front and snaps

added for the nuclear blast reflective goggles. It is possible that the earlier helmets were made

from fiberglass instead of the later plastic ones. The correct configured MBU-5/P oxygen mask would

possibly sell for $200.00+.

Roger that...thank you.