What a difference a Dummy Makes !

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Well our Local music shop HMV closed down and was selling all of its shop fittings, so first thing i look for is always mannequins. Well i found these 2 dummys and once dressed its amazing how excellent you can really make your collection look when dressed on a mannequin.

How do you display your collection and any tips or tricks on giving your collection the extra wow factor. Please feel free to post your dummys as i would love to see them :-)

D

post-8861-0-24752100-1363706383.jpg

post-8861-0-30281600-1363706389.jpg

Great looking mannequins! Mannequins make a display look so much better IMHO.

I did a display last May for a local Veterans Appreciation Day and I was the only person to use mannequins. Most people had their uniforms laid across the table or hung on a hanger. After seeing the difference, mannequins are the only way to go.

13910.jpg

Looks good Dean...you're right about the difference a "dummy" makes. Let me tell you a true story:

Last year I was shopping with Mrs Sabrejet in a Ralph Lauren shop at a place called Woodbury Common, NY. I spotted a really cool-looking shirt on the display but couldn't find it on the rack. So, I approached an assistant: "Excuse me miss, I'm trying to find a shirt just like the one on that dummy over there." She immediately started giggling uncontrollably. The reason? To our American cousins a "dummy" is someone stupid. Two nations, divided by a common language! :lol:

Looks good Dean...you're right about the difference a "dummy" makes. Let me tell you a true story:

Last year I was shopping with Mrs Sabrejet in a Ralph Lauren shop at a place called Woodbury Common, NY. I spotted a really cool-looking shirt on the display but couldn't find it on the rack. So, I approached an assistant: "Excuse me miss, I'm trying to find a shirt just like the one on that dummy over there." She immediately started giggling uncontrollably. The reason? To our American cousins a "dummy" is someone stupid. Two nations, divided by a common language! :lol:

You are 100% correct. :lol: Over here in the US, they are commonly called mannequins.

ArchangelDM

Great looking mannequins! Mannequins make a display look so much better IMHO.

I did a display last May for a local Veterans Appreciation Day and I was the only person to use mannequins. Most people had their uniforms laid across the table or hung on a hanger. After seeing the difference, mannequins are the only way to go.

An amazing display you have there ;-) Really Spot on

ArchangelDM

Knew you would like the word play there Ian :)

Looks great Dean and couldn't agree more that a mannequin is the only way to fly.

Arch, holycrap those rigs are cool!

ArchangelDM

Looks great Dean and couldn't agree more that a mannequin is the only way to fly.

Arch, holycrap those rigs are cool!

Thank you very much :-) , ill do a full mannequin display and post

the torso form or the plain ones without details look best, I dont like a life like dummy in the house, just too creepy or bizzare almost like the ones they use in the wax museum

those black ones without facial features look pretty good, and they are more versatile since they have a neutral look

strawberry 9

A hanger just doens't do a uniform justice like a mannequin/dummy. Nice displays! I recently got one as well and went crazy taking photos of different uniforms.

post-100432-0-31035200-1363836124.jpg

Agree with everyone here. Nothing looks more professional at displaying your uniforms and equipment than a proper mannequin (preferably faceless or featureless).

Dean, I always enjoy the pictures of your growing USMC collection and judging by the outstanding "teaser" shots of your field uniforms and kit, something tells me we're missing some extra good stuff in that room of yours!

ArchangelDM

Agree with everyone here. Nothing looks more professional at displaying your uniforms and equipment than a proper mannequin (preferably faceless or featureless).

Dean, I always enjoy the pictures of your growing USMC collection and judging by the outstanding "teaser" shots of your field uniforms and kit, something tells me we're missing some extra good stuff in that room of yours!

Thanks Chief for your kind comments on my collection, this month has def been a good one, i picked up a period hand camo set of what i think to be USMC here

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/169415-new-fixed-bail-with-soldiers-name-and-maybe-a-camo-liner/

And also a shelter half Tac and named stamped who was a rifleman , possible Iwo Vet, and today an M1 Garand Bayonet for 30 bucks :)

Ill have to do a re cap in a week or too

Thanks Chief for your kind comments on my collection, this month has def been a good one, i picked up a period hand camo set of what i think to be USMC here

http://www.usmilitar...e-a-camo-liner/

And also a shelter half Tac and named stamped who was a rifleman , possible Iwo Vet, and today an M1 Garand Bayonet for 30 bucks :)

Ill have to do a re cap in a week or too

It sounds like some patience, a good eye and good ol' fashion perseverance is paying off! Great looking helmet and you can't beat a M1 bayonet for $30!