Hurtgen Forest - Then and Now

Wailuna

Here is an interesting "then-and-now" montage posted at military.com (link here).

post-1963-1205547399.jpg

This Hurtgen Forest crossroads is located in the town of Zweifall (50°43'4.98"N 6°15'32.23"E), which changed hands more than once during the early part of the Battle of Hurtgen Forest in late 1944. The officer supposedly is carrying Christmas parcels, although there is no way to confirm this surmise without seeing the back of an actual print of the ASC photo. The image has been around Internet before (in a NARA collection, I think) but the image used in the military.com posting was borrowed from Widelec.org (Polish?)

Hello Wailuna :)

the image used in the military.com posting was borrowed from Widelec.org (Polish?)

Yes, it is Polish. I did not know this photo blog. "Widelec" means fork in Polish. I have no idea what might be "fork organization" w00t.gif:lol:

Here is an interesting "then-and-now" montage posted at military.com.

This Hurtgen Forest crossroads is located in the town of Zweifall (50°43'4.98"N 6°15'32.23"E), which changed hands more than once during the early part of the Battle of Hurtgen Forest in late 1944. The officer supposedly is carrying Christmas parcels, although there is no way to confirm this surmise without seeing the back of an actual print of the ASC photo.

Thank you very much for posting this set of photos. I like very much to observe these "then and now" pictorials,

Hürtgenwald aka Hurtgen Forest was horrible place and Stephen E. Ambrose described it very well in his "Citizen Soldiers" book. Here is small video maybe not "then and now" but mainly "now" none the less worth a look.

Best regards

Greg