WWII VF-60 USN Fighter Pilot DFC Group USS SUWANNEE , TAFFY 1

KASTAUFFER

Any chance the cruise book has thier emblems shown VF/VT-60 ?????????????? I can just make out the VF-60 on the leather jackets in the one photo, would appreciate a scan if they are shown !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

No insignia in the unit history,

Kurt

Kurt,

Another great grouping in your collection. I really like these full of history sets. Thank you very much sharing with us.

Franck

Johnny Signor

VERY COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This must have been thier first emblem design, as the one I have has a very mean looking wolf riding a falling torpedo his hands raised claws exposed and mouth open .

Thanks very much for posting this one,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any chance you ahve the color description for it ?????????????????????????

Johnny

Johnny Signor

Well , thanks just the same as at least I have the image of the design , sometimes they're harder to find than the color descriptons , I'll see if I can find a contact that mat have a lead to them , have a great weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Well , thanks just the same as at least I have the image of the design , sometimes they're harder to find than the color descriptons , I'll see if I can find a contact that mat have a lead to them , have a great weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Please send me your email address. I'll send jpeg files for the VF-60 patch and the VT-60 patch. My father was the one who requested Disney Studios to create the patches. I'll send the details to you. I also have photos of Airgroup 60, VT-60 and VF-60 taken August 26, 1945 in Hilo, Hawaii. Cornwell is in the the group and VF-60 photos.

[email protected]

• 10 months later...

post-157702-0-97498600-1424481017.jpgIt is interesting that in going through my dad's flight log book (see attached), he flew the very same plane from the Suwannee as Cornwell did on 3 days in October 1944 at Leyte Gulf i.e. my dad's second flight on Oct 19 was in same plane (VIN 42822) as Cornwell's only flight that day and then on Oct 23 they both flew VIN 43065, my dad for 2.3 hrs and Cornwell for 3.8 hrs and then on date of first Kamikazee strike on Suwanne my dad flew 5 hrs in VIN 40611 (likely before the strike) and Cornwell flew same plane (likely Cornwell took off before but was in the air after the strike since he had to land on airfield and not the carrier which was damaged) for 3.5 hours.

My dad did not fly again after first attack because on Oct 26 he and other pilots in AG 60 as well as crewmen were busy rescuing crewmen and battling the fires that were generated from the 2nd K strike on Oct 26. The captain's report of this incident was finally de-classified in 2010 and describes the horror of that day as well as the bravery of the men involved. That report might be too large to upload but it is a very compelling read even after all these years have gone by.

• 1 year later...

This grouping and the Franklin grouping are the things that make a Naval Aviator grouping collector's mouth water. Another great one.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...