5th Marine WWI Photo

Popo367

I have had this photo a couple of years now, it was from Ebay and it was part of a group of about 20 photos. They were all pieced out and I was able to get this one and one other. Group of officers 5th Marines, 1 Colonel (Logan Feland) 2 Lt Colonel and I can't really make out the other officers. Was hoping you fine gentleman could help me ID them. I love all the photos I have seen here and I know what a big smile I get when I see a photo maybe nobody has seen. I just began collecting and I am cherry at this but I hope this photo gives you a smile or gets the brain kicking. I wonder what happened to those other photos, there were some really cool ones.

Thanks to Fightin5th, for IDing Feland. I don't have all the books so I don't have a clue who these guys are.

Would love to see any other photos you gentleman would like to share.

post-2633-1205520928.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One more. This is a group shot of Marines who have obviouslt returned from France. Most have overseas chevrons and several 2nd division patches are also visible. It is a neat shot because it shows both officers and enlisted and greens and dress blues.

post-1107-1206234818.jpg

pic455.jpg

Great pic! Don't you know the guy third from left on the bottom row would have an amazing looking uniform if it was in color. It looks like it has seam-to-seam on both, wound chevron, overseas chevrons, and the unit patch.

Bill: Great images! Like the group photo with the 'bright' collar discs. Happy Easter. Dirk

I think we've been through that collar disc thing before, Dirk. ;)

Happy Easter to you and your family as well.

Great pic! Don't you know the guy third from left on the bottom row would have an amazing looking uniform if it was in color. It looks like it has seam-to-seam on both, wound chevron, overseas chevrons, and the unit patch.

You bet! I wish I had it in my closet!

Speaking of Col Logan Feland, here is a picture (admittedly not a very good one) of him after receiving his Distinguishes Service Cross for the action at Bois de Belleau, June 1918.

post-1107-1206285878.jpg

This is obviously a returned Marine and a family member....looks like, perhaps, a younger brother....I don't have an ID on the marine.

His CPL stripes and o'seas chevrons are clearly visible as is the 6th Marine patch. I'm not absolutely sure but it could be a wound chevron on the other sleeve. It's not all that clear but it looks like the other person in the photo is wearing a rather large EGA on the lapel of his suit coat.

Look at his facial expression. I've seen that PTSD look before....in my mirror. :(crying.gif

post-1107-1206285995.jpg

Below is a photo of 2LT Leonard E. Rea after being awarded the Distinguished Service Cross during the Mont Blanc fighting of Oct 1918. By the background, this looks to have been a studio shot of some sort. You can get a good vuew of one of his collar EGAs, 5th Marine patch and overseas chevrons.

None of these three scanned very well. They came out slightly fuzzy and with odd color tints to them. I tried three times and these were the best of the three scans.

post-1107-1206286383.jpg

You fellows have eyes like eagles! Thanks for pointing out the small details from the different photos. Anyone know why the enlisted men aren't wearing the white leather belt or the fair leather belt? The white belt was supposed to be authorized for liberty beginning 1915. Anyway, dynamite photos and comments.

Jim

jeremiahcable

Great photos shown so far. I'd like to add 3 for everyone's enjoyment.

The first two are the Olsen brothers, Charlie and Ed. They enlisted together on August 2nd, 1917. Charlie was assigned to 8th Company, 5th Marines. Ed went to the 23rd Company, 6th Machine Gun Bn. I want to say that 8th Company was 3/5 but do not recall. Here the brothers pose in their predeployment uniforms.

post-8-1206293482.jpg

jeremiahcable

Now we see what was fist thought to be both brothers, but that is incorrect. The photo is labeled as such with handwritten notes, but the 4th Brigade roster tells us differently. Charlie, seen here much changed after 18 months overseas and all of the 8th Company's battles, was the brother that came home. Sadly, Ed died in France. I believe he was killed at Blanc Mont, almost at the end of the war. The look on Charlie Olson's face reminds me a lot of the photo Bill posted of a 6th Marine above.

I'd like to thank Dirk for turning me on to these images when they were for sale.

post-8-1206293704.jpg

jeremiahcable

And, lastly, an unknown member of the 6th Marines. From the contrast on the colors I'd think either 3/6 or HQ Company. This fellow spent 18 months "Over There" as the saying went. Even though he is smiling something in his expression tells me it's a real effort for him to do so.

post-8-1206293886.jpg

Wow! What an Easter Gift. Here is another photo from the same album, like I said there were about 20 of them, if I would have had the money back then. Notice the 5th Marine Regiment Colors,.......anyone know what happened to those colors...

post-2633-1206297890.jpg

And, lastly, an unknown member of the 6th Marines. From the contrast on the colors I'd think either 3/6 or HQ Company. This fellow spent 18 months "Over There" as the saying went. Even though he is smiling something in his expression tells me it's a real effort for him to do so.

Great photos! I agree, Jeremiah. When you look more closely at the actual facial expression of many pictures of vets taken post-combat, that same haunted and pained smile is there. Below is a picture of me taken with my trusty German Shepatd in my parents back yard in Chicago about early October of 1968.

I had just come back the day before from Wawatosa WI where I visited the parents of one of my Marine buddies. On 27 Dec 67, after he was hit by three Ak-47 bullets (2 in the neck and one in the upper chest) he bled to death in my lap on the helo enroute Charlie Med in Danang. I promised him I would visit his parents and it took me three weeks to build up the courage to make the drive up there. It was an unpleasant and short visit

I'm smiling for my mother's picture.....but just barely and it was an effort.

post-1107-1206300411.jpg

Thank you for sharing that last picture of you, thank you for sharing what you were thinking and what had occured that day. At first glance I would have thought, "Hey look at those tight tan pants on this jarhead." J/K

You look at these pictures and wonder what that Marine or Army dog, was thinking at that moment. What were his dreams and what were his nightmares. I love the unit photos because now you can see hundreds of moments, hundreds of friends, and of brothers.

Is that a watch your wearing or military ID bracelit?

Thank you for sharing that last picture of you, thank you for sharing what you were thinking and what had occured that day. At first glance I would have thought, "Hey look at those tight tan pants on this jarhead." J/K

You look at these pictures and wonder what that Marine or Army dog, was thinking at that moment. What were his dreams and what were his nightmares. I love the unit photos because now you can see hundreds of moments, hundreds of friends, and of brothers.

Is that a watch your wearing or military ID bracelit?

Good observation! The pants were tight.....uncomfortably tight. That's because I bought them while home on leave when I first returned from Vietnam in early Jul 1968 (I weighed about 140 lbs then). This picture was taken in early October (about three weeks after discharge) and I hadn't gotten much in the way of a post-Marine Corps wardrobe yet.

By October, after some three months of beer, stateside duty, beer, good food, beer (did I mention beer?) I was back up to about 160 and on the way back to my pre-Vietnam weight of about 175-180 lbs. The shirt was also kind of tight but it was more stretchy than the jeans were.

I've noticed the same thing in the faces of the men in post combat unit pictures.....I always look at the faces first. In our militaria hobby we often focus on military "stuff" .... items such as uniforms, chevrons, ribbons, patches, buttons, pins, etc. Sometimes that causes us to look right past the actual person who wore the "stuff."

It looks like a POW bracelet but it isn't There were no POW bracelets yet in 1968. What you see is the band of the Rolex Submariner watch that I bought during R&R in Hong Kong in 1967. At the time this picture was taken I still had the habit of wearing it backwards, with the watch face on the inside of my arm.

I hope all will forgive me but mention of the POW bracelet is going to cause me to wander off and into the realm of them for a minute or two. When the POW bands became available, my wife and I both got one. After receiving the first bracelets, I still wanted a name-specific one for a man I served with. I contacted the organization that created the braceles and got a by-name one for my friend and fellow Reconner, HM-2 Mike LaPorte. He remains unaccounted for and I still maintain contact with his mother from time to time. I still wear his bracelet and will wear it until either his remains come home or I go on the wrong side of the grass.

Hey Jeremiah....I'd say by the expression on this Marine's face he'd rather be choking the life out of the photog than sitting there. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Here are a few more photos from New York Times article soon after the 4th Brigade came home. I am not computer savvy and couldn't figure out how to post these so I cut and pasted some of the photos. If you want the full Acrobat version so you can zoom in send me your email and I will send them to you. I hope you guys haven't seen these, enjoy.

post-2633-1209692658.jpg

Photos were taken on the George Washington as they pulled into New York with all their mascots.

post-2633-1209692772.jpg

post-2633-1209692814.jpg

post-2633-1209692857.jpg