9th Photo Recon Squadron - insignia

disneydave

Johnny Signor

Hey Dave , Much thanks for the posting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can see , Bob was very happy to see this one too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Thanks for posting this image Dave.

Any idea why this design is so hard to locate these days?

Bob

Unfortunately Bob, no, I do not know whay this is a rare one.

My experience has been some units really put their designs to good use and plastered everything and anything with the insignia - matchbooks, ashtrays, stationary, patches, greeting cards, signage, publications, decals, etc.

The 13th Armored Division used their design on everything. And there are many other units I've seen nothing with the design on it.

That's what makes this hobby so much fun...you never know when you'll come across a design...just the other week on eBay I found a decal for an anti-aircraft unit featuring the owl from Bambi. The person selling it thought it was just a decal for a kid's bedroom. I recognized the design instantly and snatched up the decal for under $10.

Unfortunately Bob, no, I do not know whay this is a rare one.

My experience has been some units really put their designs to good use and plastered everything and anything with the insignia - matchbooks, ashtrays, stationary, patches, greeting cards, signage, publications, decals, etc.

The 13th Armored Division used their design on everything. And there are many other units I've seen nothing with the design on it.

That's what makes this hobby so much fun...you never know when you'll come across a design...just the other week on eBay I found a decal for an anti-aircraft unit featuring the owl from Bambi. The person selling it thought it was just a decal for a kid's bedroom. I recognized the design instantly and snatched up the decal for under $10.

Thanks for your input on this designs limited exposure Dave.

It's a shame too because of the dynamic qualities inherent with this emblem, but I can easily

see the problems that would have been encountered in trying to reproduce this image in the field.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Bob

I thought I was really losing it as I didn't remember that as the 9th PRS insignia. A bit of a P38 fan as you can tell by the board name.

Again, I learn something new every day :)

http://www.9thprs.org/html/UnitEmblem.html

Thought this was interesting as the scan is of a patch

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:9th_Photo_Reconnaissance_Squadron_-_WWII_-_Emblem.png

Johnny Signor

Yeah , I had found those two sites some time ago and told Bob about them, then DD was kind enough to post his image which is somewhat better in details

Johnny

It's always a "learning" situation and ongoing, that's what makes it worthwhile and fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!