29 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

Gentlemen:

One of my collecting sidelines is USGI holsters. Over the years I have seen a lot of misinformation circulated on the identification of the makers of the M1916 holster for the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols. This holster was the most widely produced and, in my view, the most important US military holster of the 20th Century. It was in continuous use for seven decades, a remarkable achievement. I thought it might be useful to correct that misinformation and to supply those with a interest in the subject some new information as well. Accordingly, I have prepared a comprehensive list of all known manufacturers of US Government Issue M1916 Holsters. The list is posted below.

A couple of preliminary comments are in order. By design this list does not include private purchase holster makers, makers of holster models other than the M1916, reproduction holster makers, nor does it include inspector markings or dates. This list is confined to the identification of those manufacturers known to have supplied M1916 holsters to the Government.

The list identifies in all caps each manufacturer's marking which was required by the Government holster specification to be placed on each holster. To the right of each such mark I identify, where known, the complete name of the manufacturer and its location.

I believe that this listing is complete and accurate. However, if errors or omissions are noted I would welcome input to correct any such errors or omissions. Beyond that, several makers have eluded my efforts to identify them over the course of many years. Anyone with evidence of the proper name and location of those makers is invited to contact me.

Some of this information has never been published before to my knowledge. I hope that it proves useful to those here with an interest in the M1916 holster.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

WORLD WAR I

B.BROS. (Brydon Brothers Harness & Saddle Company, Los Angeles, Calif.)
BOYT (Walter Boyt Saddlery Co., Des Moines, Iowa)
CLINTON
HOYT (F. M. Hoyt Shoe Co., Manchester, New Hampshire)
G&K (Graton & Knight Manufacturing Co., Worcester, Massachusetts)
KEYSTON (Keyston Brothers, San Francisco, Calif.)
K.B. (Keyston Bros., San Francisco, Calif.)
W.H. McM. CO. (William H. McMonies & Company, Portland, Oregon)
PERKINS CAMPBELL (Perkins-Campbell Co., Cincinnati, Ohio)
ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL (Rock Island, Illinois)
SEARS (Sears Saddlery Co., Davenport, Iowa)
S.&R.
WARREN LEATHER GOODS CO. (Warren Leather Goods Co., Worcester, Mass.)
WESTERN MFG. CO. (Western Manufacturing Co., San Francisco, Calif.)

WORLD WAR II

A.L.P. CO. (Atchison Leather Products Co., Atchison, Kansas)
BRAUER (Brauer Brothers Mfg. Co., St. Louis, Missouri)
BOYT (Boyt Harness Company, Des Moines, Iowa)
CRAIGHEAD (John R. Craighead Co., Inc., Denver, Colorado)
CRUMP (Benjamin T. Crump & Co., Richmond, Virginia)
ENGER-KRESS (Enger-Kress Company, West Bend, Wisconsin)
FINK (Fink Leather Shops, Kansas City, Missouri)
G.P.& S. (Australian manufacturer)
GRATON & KNIGHT CO. (Graton & Knight Manufacturing Co., Worcester, Mass.)
HARPHAM BROS. (Harpham Brothers Co., Lincoln, Nebraska)
MILWAUKEE SADDLERY CO. (Milwaukee Saddlery Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
JOSEPH H. MOSSER (Joseph H. Mosser Co.)
S-B CO
TEXTAN (Texas Tanning & Manufacturing Co., Yoakum, Texas)
WALSH (Walsh Harness Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

KOREAN WAR (For US Air Force Only)

BLOOMBERG LEATHER GDS.

VIET NAM WAR

BUCHEIMER (J. M. Bucheimer Co., Frederick, Maryland)
BOLEN LEATHER PRODUCTS, INC.
BOLEN LEA. PROD.
CATHEY ENTERPRISES, INC. (Cathey Enterprises, Inc., Brownwood, Texas)
HUNTER CORP. (Hunter Corporation, West Minster, Colorado)
NORDAC MFG. CO. (Nordac Manufacturing Company, Fredericksburg, Virginia)

Edited by Charlie Flick, 07 April 2008 - 12:35 PM.
Spelling Correction on Brydon

#2 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

Thanks a lot Charlie!

You prepared very useful thing for many people. I have always looked for complete list of those manufacturers and now it is here.

Best regards

Greg

#3 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:47 AM

Great info, Charlie...thank you! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#4 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

Charlie,

I would like to ask you for small detail related to WWII period M1916 holsters used by the US Navy. Were they stamped "US" or "USN" or maybe both of them were used in the USN? And the same question for the USMC -- both "US" and "USMC" stamped were used or only "USMC" stamped ones?

Thanks for possible help.

Best regards

Greg

#5 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

Charlie, many thanks for the maker list. I'm sure it will be very handy.

#6 BOB K. RKSS

BOB K. RKSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 283
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Another WWII MAKER > "HICKOK" > they made Holsters, Pistol Belts, & Lanyards for issue to ARMY GENERALS. Holsters are made from a finer soft russet color leather; have no maker's mark, or "U.S.", but have Gold plated metal parts.

Attached Images

• MVC_034S.JPG

Edited by BOB K. RKSS, 14 March 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#7 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

Charlie,

I would like to ask you for small detail related to WWII period M1916 holsters used by the US Navy. Were they stamped "US" or "USN" or maybe both of them were used in the USN? And the same question for the USMC -- both "US" and "USMC" stamped were used or only "USMC" stamped ones?

Hello Greg:

I am glad to hear that you have found the holster listing to be useful.

As to your question, the answer is no. WW2 era M1916 holsters used by the Navy and Marines had only the standard US within the oval flap marking.

Regards,
Charlie

#8 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

Another WWII MAKER "HICKOK" .

Hello Bob:

That is a beautiful General Officer's holster and belt rig.

Yes, Hickok made the holster and rig you show for General Officers in WW2. I did not include Hickok in the M1916 Holster Maker List above as the List was confined to M1916 holsters only. Since the GO holster is not classified as a M1916 holster Hickok did not make the List.

One of these days we ought to do a thread on the various wartime and post-war GO holsters and rigs.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#9 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:14 AM

Hello Greg:

I am glad to hear that you have found the holster listing to be useful.

As to your question, the answer is no. WW2 era M1916 holsters used by the Navy and Marines had only the standard US within the oval flap marking.

Regards,
Charlie

Charlie,

Thank you very much!

Regards

Greg

#10 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

Gentlemen:

With new information at hand I have updated the List of USGI M1916 Holster Makers. A number of important corrections and additions have been made. Several collectors and correspondents have contributed to this collaborative effort. I believe that this List is the most accurate and complete listing of makers of the M1916 holsters for the US Government in existence. As before the name in all caps is the mark to be found on the holster while the information with the parentheses is the maker name and location. No effort has been made to list dates or inspector markings.

Note that reports have been received of a M1916 holster marked "LAWRENCE" (presumably the George Lawrence Saddlery Co. of Portland, OR) and another marked "MORI". I have not personally encountered any M1916 holsters so marked, have not seen any photographs, and have not run across any published material which might confirm the existence of such holsters as government issue. However, if history has taught us anything it is that one can never say never. Nonetheless, until further evidence is forthcoming that establishes the existence of USGI M1916 holsters made and marked by these entities, I am choosing to not include them on this List.

It is my intention to create similar Lists for makers of the USGI M3 and M7 shoulder holsters. They will be forthcoming in the near future.

As always, corrections, amplifications and further input concerning this List are welcome. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this effort.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

WORLD WAR I

CLINTON (Clinton Saddlery Co., Clinton, Iowa)
ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL (Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, Illinois)
S.& R. (Sheffer & Rossum, St. Paul, Minnesota)

WORLD WAR II

JOSEPH H. MOSSER (Joseph H. Mosser Leather Co., Williamsport, PA)
S-B CO. (Straus-Bodenheimer Saddlery Co., Houston , Texas)

BLOOMBERG LEATHER GDS.

VIET NAM WAR

BOLEN LEATHER PRODUCTS, INC. (Bolen Leather Products, Inc. Springfield, Tennessee)
BOLEN LEA. PROD. (Bolen Leather Products, Inc., Springfield, Tenn.)

Revised 4/13/08

#11 maskman

maskman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,894
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

Thanks, Charlie. I am looking for a General Officer holster for the Colt .32 auto. Did these have maker marks and if so who made them. I have seen several with no marks. Thanks...Maskman

#12 Chris_B

Chris_B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,065
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

I would be interested in info on the .32 Colt holster as well, having just picked one up- lovely pistol

I am wondering Charlie-

How can I date a Warren Leather Goods holster? I have a pretty nice one but there is no date stamp that I see

#13 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

Thanks, Charlie. I am looking for a General Officer holster for the Colt .32 auto. Did these have maker marks and if so who made them. I have seen several with no marks. Thanks...Maskman

Hello Maskman:

The GO holsters for the USGI Colt .32 and .380 pistols were unmarked. They were made by ALPCO (Atchison Leather Products) and by Hickok, I believe. There may have been some other makers but I have not seen any reliable evidence of that. If you are looking for an example for a GO before 1956 then you need a brown one. 1956 and later would have been black.

Be aware that these holsters are now being reproduced, and without any markings.

HTH.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#14 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

I am wondering Charlie-How can I date a Warren Leather Goods holster? I have a pretty nice one but there is no date stamp that I see.

Hello Chris:

If your Warren Leather holster is undated then it is a WW2 example.

I just realized with the revival of this year old thread that my Holster Maker List here needs to be updated as I have uncovered additional information. I will post the updated List in the next day or so.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#15 tsellati

tsellati
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,225
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

Charlie,

I am looking forward to your updated list and very much appreciate the effort. As I am in the market for a nice holster for my 1945 Remington-Rand M1911A1 pistol I want to educate myself as much as possible before making a purchase. As such, I would like to know the current understanding regarding undated M1916 holsters. Do the undated holsters more likely represent WWI or WWII manufacture or either? Does it depend on the manufacturer?

Thanks for the education.

Tim

#16 maskman

maskman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,894
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thanks, Charlie. I suspected that there are some forgeries out there, I have seen it rampart in the western holsters even down to the makers stamps. Another good example are the cartouche stamp dies for the M1 Carbine stocks that are being produced. Thanks again for your knowledge................

#17 BOB K. RKSS

BOB K. RKSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 283
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:24 AM

WWII General's Holsters were un-marked, but the Metal Fittings were GOLD PLATED. The .45 General's Holster is much rarer; than the .32/.380, & it is made of a much SOFTER leather. Here's a photo of My rig. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Attached Images

• MVC_034S.JPG

#18 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

At the proposal of GO .32 holsters, pre98 is selling this one in these days at buy-it-now 450$.
Cant believe? go to

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

Attached Images

• go1.JPG

#19 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

I can remember those Lawrence and Mori M1916 holsters mentioned on CSP forum, never say never but in absence of at least one decent pic to me they are private purchases.

As regards WWII undated holsters, there is no problem if manufacturer is in the list cause they didn't follow the same criteria in datation. Up today I've downloaded more than 70 pics of WWII different markings and I've noticed that someone dated only 1942 production, another only the 1944, another only 1943, others all their production, someone all but 1945.

#20 krautpot

krautpot
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,208
  • 856 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

Great list Charlie!

I found Cathey Enterprises as a manufacturer of the VN era. I bought a cathey holster, but it has a light tan color. Posted it in the "Newest Acquisitions" section.

http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=39310

I thought VN 1911 holsters are all black, or produced Cathey old style holsters for collectors? :blink:

Michael

#21 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

Great list Charlie!

I found Cathey Enterprises as a manufacturer of the VN era. I bought a cathey holster, but it has a light tan color. Posted it in the "Newest Acquisitions" section.

I thought VN 1911 holsters are all black, or produced Cathey old style holsters for collectors? :blink:

Michael

Hi Michael:

I responded to your post on the other thread concerning your russet colored Cathey Enterprises M1916 reproduction.

You are correct that all USGI M1916 Viet Nam era holsters were black in color. The US military went to black leather equipments in 1956, although the USAF had already done so by 1950.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#22 kwill

kwill
  • Members
    • Member ID: 403
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

Charlie,

At the last Tulsa show I had a conversation with Rick Nahas and Scott Meadows about the brown Aircrewman holsters and they both maintained that "it was a brown shoe Air Force until 1956." (ESM quote) Even if they officially went black in 1950 would it have been allowable to continue to use existing accoutrements until they were worn out? I seem to recall reading that there was often an overlap period for uniforms to avoid the expense and logistical problems of trying to switch everybody, everywhere at one time.

Regards,
Kevin

#23 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:50 AM

Charlie,

At the last Tulsa show I had a conversation with Rick Nahas and Scott Meadows about the brown Aircrewman holsters and they both maintained that "it was a brown shoe Air Force until 1956." (ESM quote) Even if they officially went black in 1950 would it have been allowable to continue to use existing accoutrements until they were worn out? I seem to recall reading that there was often an overlap period for uniforms to avoid the expense and logistical problems of trying to switch everybody, everywhere at one time.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin:

Yes, I think that the brown leather equipments would probably have been phased out over a period of time. I have several of those brown Aircrewman shoulder holsters as well and they are indeed something of an anomaly. I suppose anything is possible but given that the USAF was buying new M1916 holsters and related items in black by 1950, six years seems a long time for the phase in.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#24 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Gentlemen:

As I promised earlier, I have prepared an updated List of US M1916 Holster Makers. We have made considerable progress on this Revision and have now identified a couple of previously unknown makers. The Australian maker GP & S still eludes me but with the help of the holster collecting community, and some from collectors in Australia, we should be able to track that one down someday. The same goes for the Bloomberg outfit.

Again, no attempt has been made to record dates or inspector markings. This List is restricted to the M1916 holster makers.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this project. Anyone with corrections or further information is invited to contact me or post here.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

WORLD WAR I

CLINTON (Clinton Saddlery Co., Clinton, Iowa)
ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL (Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, Illinois)
S.&R. (Scheffer & Rossum, St. Paul, Minnesota)

WORLD WAR II

JOSEPH H. MOSSER (Joseph H. Mosser Leather Co., Williamsport, PA)
S-B CO. (Straus-Bodenheimer Saddlery Co., Houston , Texas)

BLOOMBERG LEATHER GDS.

VIET NAM WAR

BOLEN LEATHER PRODUCTS, INC. (Bolen Leather Products, Inc. Springfield, Tennessee)
BOLEN LEA. PROD. (Bolen Leather Products, Inc., Springfield, Tenn.)

#25 stephenwfarrell

stephenwfarrell
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,768
  • 46 posts
  • Location:South West England near D-Day Embarkation Slip Ways

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hi, saw a holster yesterday had the marking I.P.C or I.C.P no date, any ideas?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users