Stretcher ID request.

PvtTamura

First off, I believe Im in the right place, if I am not, I apologize.

I was recently offered this stretcher. This is NOT a "What's it worth?" question. This a request for an ID as to what it is.

I was told it was used to airlift a person along with crewman, hence the colored seatbelts.

My question is, what exactly is the purpose of this?

I used google search (site:usmilitariaforum.com stretcher) to no avail.

Any guidance as to what it may be is much appreciated.

stretcher001.jpg

stretcher002.jpg

stretcher003.jpg

stretcher004.jpg

Rakkasan187

Looks very similar to the traverse rescue stretcher which can be used for high angle, vertical and horizontal rescues. The high angle rescue team in my Fire Department uses very similar devices. These are similar to a KED (Kendrick Extrication Device) but these are full body versus the KED which is just upper torso. The baffles have either hard plastic or in this case wood, which supports the spine and immobilizes the rest of the body in order to keep the spinal column straight. The small hood and chincup is used to immobilize the head and keep the neck from moving.

I can't tell you about the colors of the buckles, they may be for a double extraction, ie patient and medic, but I am not sure. With the KED I know that the color straps are significant as to when it is applied to the victim. the color straps secure the body and they buckle into the corresponding colored buckles.

These can be found in mountain rescue team inventories as well as Search and Resuce helicopters and in city Fire Departments that have high rise buildings and elevator shafts.

Price wise: Well tough to say but civilian side of the house these go for around $650 to $700.

Leigh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendrick_Extrication_Device

http://www.rescueresponse.com/store/traverse_rescue_stretcher.htm

Thanks for the heads up, Ian.

Let me begin by saying the Air Force Museum is desperately seeking one of these for it's Vietnam display. I suspect, however that this example is post Vietnam dased on what looks like nylon instead of canvas fabric.

The lineage....

Relying solely on memory this is known to me as a semi rigid litter designed to take the place of the pole litter in mountain evacuations and succeeded by the stokes litter as seen in the link I previously provided.

This style litter was best utilized in Vietnam for winching/hoisting a casualty up through the canopy. The old way on a pole litter was hazardous for all involved, especially the patient who would be strapped in with the friction buckle litter straps {as much protection as a holy, uhm Trojan} and attached to the hoist hook via sling ropes routed through the litter feet {even less protection than previously mentioned}. The pole litter would then make a horizontal trip through the canopy IF it wasn't snagged by tree limbs and once clear of the canopy would begin spinning in the rotor wash. The semi rigid litter completely enveloped the patient who was then held in place by buckles attached to strongly sewn webbing {shades of Nurse Cratchit}. The litter was then attached to the winch by the top ring and a tag line attached to the bottom ring to help guide it up through the limbs.

The Army put these to best use in Vietnam and continued to do so after Vietnam because of the compactness of this design over the Stokes litter.

Great find, I'll be happy to drive out and pick it up ;-}

Thank you all for the information on this piece!

I don't encounter stretchers designed for airlift often. I'll see if I can get it.