POST YOUR FAVORITE DOG TAG(S)!

USdog

Hello all!

I don't know how I missed this excellent thread earlier when it passed through. Some great tags shown here, thanks to all for sharing.

My all time favorite tag, bar none, is this one, my dads. Being blessed with his name (I'm a Jr.) I was thrilled to have discovered it while poking through a cedar chest in the garage when I was around 9 years old. It was in much better shape when I found it. I wore it for many years after, truth is it was the wear on it (caused by me) that made me decide to take it off when I was around 16. Thankfully I had a very very small bit of sense back then.

He was the one who got me interested in collecting U.S. militariaback when I was very young. Now it's a treasured piece and kept with some of his other items from his service during WW II.

Best wishes to all!

Joe

attachicon.gifreduced-dad.jpg

that's a great story with a great tag

Here's some more interesting tags from my collection. MGySgt Harold Kelley Barwick enlisted in Mar 1949 and retired in Dec 1979 after 30 years in the Corps. He served in Korea with the 1st Bn, 1st Marine, 1st Marine Division and then with the 4th Marines, 3rd Marine Division in Vietnam.

post-111248-0-34003100-1373564585.jpg

Next up, another Marine, Robert Charles Desmond. He enlisted in Oct 1936 as a private, and eventually retired in 1960 as a Major! Some of the highlights of Major Desmond's career include:

- Served in Shanghai, China with the 4th Marines from Aug 1937 - Mar 1940

- Served with the 3rd Marines, 2nd Brigade (then 3rd Division) from Oct 1942 through Jan 1945 where he saw action in the Northern Solomons, the Treasury Island landing, capture of Guam, and the assault of Iwo Jima. They received a PUC for their action on Guam and two Navy Unit Commendations for their actions on Iwo Jima and the Empress Augusta Bay Beachhead, Bougainville, Solomon Islands.

-Served with the 7th Tank Battalion, 1st Division from Nov 1950 - Oct 1952 in Korea and the 1st Transport Bn, 1st Division from Oct 1952-Oct 1953 in Korea.

post-111248-0-06297300-1373564847.jpg

ACOM Frank Maxwell Tucker, enlisted in 1938 was a World War II, Korea, and Vietnam Veteran. During World War II he was stationed at NAS New York from 1941-1944. Then he spent the rest of the war on the USS Ticonderoga (CV-14) as part of their aviation unit. (VF-80). He received a Purple Heart and saw action in the Palau Islands, Philippines, the Luzon and Formosa attacks, the China Coast attacks, and Okinawa.

post-111248-0-66668600-1373565509.jpg

This is a cool tag for Owen Delmar Cowan. He served from Apr 1942 to Oct 1945. Being a Boston native, it was fun to learn that Owen pitched for the Boston Red Sox minor league team, the Centreville Red Sox in 1941 before joining the Navy. He also pitched for the Navy during his service.

post-111248-0-19772300-1373565925.jpg

Last one for now. Hope people are enjoying them. This is a pair of tags for James Franklin Jenkins, his WWII and Korean War era tags. Jenkins enlisted in Jul 1936 and retired after 20 years in Sep 1956 as a MMC.

He served on the USS Dahlgren (DD-187) from Oct 1940 - May 1943 on the East Coast and Carribean mainly. He spent the remainder of the war aboard the USS Caperton (DD-650), one of the "fightingest" destroyers of the war. Caperton received 10 battlestars for:

The Gilbert Islands operations

Marshall Islands operations

1944 Asiatic-Pacific raids

Hollandia operation

Marianas operation, including the capture of Saipan and Guam, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the Paulua, Yap, Ulithi, and Bonins raids

The Western Caroline Island operations including the assualts on the Philippines

Leyte operations

Luzon operations

Okinawa Gunto operations and

the 3rd Fleet operations against Japan

And he did occupation duty in Japan and China aboard the Uvalde (AKA-88), Iowa (BB-61), and Topeka (CL-67).

post-111248-0-65325600-1373566119.jpg

Keep em coming guys, I'm loving these tags! Up next is a tag that I've posted on the forum a few times already but I will never tire of showing it and talking about it. Paul H. Doll served with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division as a 37MM anti tank gun crewman throughout all of Guadalcanal. After rest and refit in Australia, PFC Doll fought on Cape Gloucester where he was shot in the ankle during the battle of hill 660. After being evacuated to the US, PFC Doll was diagnosed with what would today be described as very tragic PTSD (fear of loud noises, periods of deep depression, explosive behavior). He also suffered from "dropfoot" from his wounding; basically his right foot failed to lift all the way while walking, so the front of his foot would drag on the ground. Paul H. Doll passed away in 1977 from a heart attack. The matching tag to this one was recently sold in Australia, leading me to believe this was one of the pair that he wore during the Guadalcanal campaign. Enjoy gentlemen.

post-104906-0-34943000-1373589438.jpg

Great tag bellasilva and amazing story. I love the first style Navy tags, so this is a really cool USMC tag to see.

Here is Ens. George Gay's dogtag. I acquired it from his Grandson. George painted it with gold spraypaint.

Ens. Gay was the sole survivor of the USS Hornet detatchment of Torpedo Squadron 8 during the Battle of Midway. He was a true American hero.

There were 2 survivors of the VT-8 detatchment that flew from Midway Island that day.

GHG_Dog_Tag_front_1_.jpg

These are dogtags that were on an old piece of wire that came with a group I own to an Army Chaplain who was captured on Corregidor.

Two of the dogtags are from men of the 60th CA , who died on the Japanese Hellship Arisan Maru ( Robert Nail and Roy Northrup ) in 1944 . The circular dogtag is made out of a coin and has a " T-42 " date on the back. It belonged to EM3c Emmett Lee Kilmer of the USS Canopus who was liberated in Manchuria at the end of the War . The final tag belonged to Major Reginald H Ridgely of the 4th Marines on Corregidor . He also survived the war and attained General rank in the USMC . I do not know how Chaplain Borneman came into possession of the tags. They all have a great deal of wear , corrosion, and some are bent. They were all on an old wire when I got them in his effects.

I made contact with Mr. Kilmer in 1991 before he passed away. He had no idea how his tag ended up in the Chaplains hands. I also have Corresponded with General Ridgley's son and he has the other matching dogtag.

post-105-1346017184.jpg

post-105-1346017189.jpg

Here's one with a tragic story. Raymond Santillo was a 17 year old engineer, while driving back to his base after spending time with his family for Thanksgiving, crashed the car he was driving and died instantly. He had only been in the Marines for about 6 months and left behind a wife and baby girl.

post-104906-0-31274200-1373817106.jpg

I found this USMC dog tag at the flea market yesterday. I found the following obituary about the owner on the Internet as well as his photograph.

Lt. Colonel Franklin Garrett Cowie, Jr., U.S. Marines Corp (Ret.), 83 of Salinas, passed away on Thursday, May 29, 2008.

He was born on December 11, 1924 in Alexandria, VA, son of Colonel Franklin Garrett Cowie, Sr. and Kathleen Campbell. He was a graduate of the Staunton Military Academy and followed a long line of military officers. His grandfather was a doctor in the Navy and his great-grandfather was a paymaster general to the Navy, he had a Destroyer named Cowie in his honor.

Franklin was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Marines, serving in WW II, Korean and Vietnam Wars. His biggest and hardest battle being his last was Parkinson's, which he fought as valiantly as the others. After retirement from the Marines, his major hobby was restoring antique cars and traveling in them.

He is preceded in death by his first wife, Ivadel Borck in 1991.

He is survived by his wife, Maureen; Step-son, Richard (Elizabeth) Whiteley; grandson, John Banks Whiteley of Florida; sister-in law, Sheila; nieces and great-nephews in England.

The funeral will be private according to his wishes.

"Walk on a rainbow trail; walk on a trail of song,
And all about you will be beauty.
There is a way out of every dark mist,
Over a rainbow trail."
Navajo Song

"There is nothing to save, now all is lost,
But a tiny core of stillness in the
heart like the eye of a violet."
D.H. Lawrence

Love Is Never Lost
"And when one of us is gone
And one is left alone to carry on
Well then remembering will have to do
Our memories alone will get us through
Think about the days of me and you
Of you and me against the world."
Paul Williams & Ken Ascher.

He was indeed an officer and a gentleman. "Til we meet again" Maureen Anne

post-1389-0-45142500-1373922308.jpg

Simon Lerenfort

I found this USMC dog tag at the flea market yesterday. I found the following obituary about the owner on the Internet as well as his photograph.

Lt. Colonel Franklin Garrett Cowie, Jr., U.S. Marines Corp (Ret.), 83 of Salinas, passed away on Thursday, May 29, 2008.

He was born on December 11, 1924 in Alexandria, VA, son of Colonel Franklin Garrett Cowie, Sr. and Kathleen Campbell. He was a graduate of the Staunton Military Academy and followed a long line of military officers. His grandfather was a doctor in the Navy and his great-grandfather was a paymaster general to the Navy, he had a Destroyer named Cowie in his honor.

Franklin was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Marines, serving in WW II, Korean and Vietnam Wars. His biggest and hardest battle being his last was Parkinson's, which he fought as valiantly as the others. After retirement from the Marines, his major hobby was restoring antique cars and traveling in them.

He is preceded in death by his first wife, Ivadel Borck in 1991.

He is survived by his wife, Maureen; Step-son, Richard (Elizabeth) Whiteley; grandson, John Banks Whiteley of Florida; sister-in law, Sheila; nieces and great-nephews in England.

The funeral will be private according to his wishes.

"Walk on a rainbow trail; walk on a trail of song,

And all about you will be beauty.

There is a way out of every dark mist,

Over a rainbow trail."

Navajo Song

"There is nothing to save, now all is lost,

But a tiny core of stillness in the

heart like the eye of a violet."

D.H. Lawrence

Love Is Never Lost

"And when one of us is gone

And one is left alone to carry on

Well then remembering will have to do

Our memories alone will get us through

Think about the days of me and you

Of you and me against the world."

Paul Williams & Ken Ascher.

He was indeed an officer and a gentleman. "Til we meet again" Maureen Anne

It is a great shame that the family decided not to treasure this item, but that is often the way. It is good that us enthusiasts and collectors are sometimes able to garner up the details relating to this greatest generation and guard them for the future.

Kind Regards,

Simon

Col. Joseph P. Kohn, Coastal Artillery and Commanding Officer, Fort Mills, Philippines. This grouping is one of my favorites and came from the family a number of years ago with a few medals, his ID Card after being released and his two pre-WWII dog tags worn as a P.O.W. in Formosa. One can only imagine the story these dog tags could tell. At the time Col. Kohn had his photo taken and ID replaced he was only 121 pounds.

post-9107-0-01691200-1374329503.jpg

Just got this group at an estate sale right across the street from me...

Herman C. Krenz was in the 27th infantry division and received the bronze star, Purple Heart, CIB, good conduct medal, american defense medal, American campaign medal, asiatic pacific campaign medal with 3 bronze stars and arrowhead, and the wwii victory medal....

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 months later...

Posting some of my new favorites...

First off are these two tags once worn by Lt. Edward T. McDonnell of the USNR. He went onto the USS Henrico on 26 April 1944 and he took part in the Normandy landings, Invasion of the Southern Coast of France, and the Invasion of Okinawa.

On 2 April 1945, the ship was conducting a night retirement from Kerama Retto as a component of Task Group 53.4. It was attacked by a fast "Frances" kamikaze and crashed into the bridge on the starboard side. Forty-nine officers and men were killed in the attack, including Henrico's captain, her embarked division commander, and the two troop commanders. Lt. Edward T. McDonnell was killed during the attack.... He is buried in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please feel free to post some of yours!

More to come... Enjoy!

Next is a set of tags worn by Wilson Giovanacci. He enlisted 5 October 1940. He became a Sgt. in E co, 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division and was in North Africa and Italy. During the Battle of Monte Cassino Sgt. Giovanacci was wounded and later discharged on 10 August 1944.

Posted Image

Here's another tag...

Kenneth B. Drew enlisted 4 April 1944 and was a Private in E co, 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. During the battle of the Hürtgen Forest on 21 November 1944, the 18th Infantry made an attempt to storm Hill 207. During the attack, Pvt. Drew was KIA at the age of 22. They were unsuccessful in taking the hill until 23 November.

Kenneth B. Drew received the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image