MACV-SOG black dyed jungle jacket

ReverendJake

ReverendJake

I found this on eBay as an example of a black dyed jungle jacket. I cannot express how much I love this picture. I thought I'd share it with you guys. Just one question, do you think that they are actually black dyed jungle fatigues (in the picture) or do they look like a black CISO set?

post-104618-0-33843200-1363139512.jpg

River Patrol

I've already shown black dyed tigerstripes with modified cargo pockets.........you'll have to search for it in the uniform section. Uniforms dyed black by the soldiers did not always turn out this perfect.

This set looks like professionally black dyed jungles.........and these are not the only choices for black uniforms. Black uniforms were also produced for American soldiers by local Viet tailors using vat dyed materials.

ReverendJake

Thats Frank Greco and they are dyed jungle fatigues, I have tried this myself and they come out very well.

Do you have any other information about him?

ReverendJake

That cut down RPD is awesome, bet that was a real bullet hose!

Awesome!!

From what I read, the SOG guys loved these. They were reported to be fantastic shooting weapons.

ReverendJake

Here's the one that's being sold. Any opinions? It's ripstop, the black dyed uniforms were most popular 67-68.

ReverendJake

Here's the one that's being sold. Any opinions? It's ripstop, the black dyed uniforms were most popular 67-68.

post-104618-0-66700800-1363209890.jpg

vintageproductions

Do you have any other information about him?

Frank Greco has written a book that I believe is called "Running Recon". Talked to him at a SOA convention and was really a cool guy. Lots of great stories and information.

Corpsmancollector

This is a great picture, love the cut-down RPD! I think Greco was RT Colorado? His book 'Running Recon' is fantastic and includes a lot of very detailed pictures. There's also an interview with him on YouTube:

I previously had a set of dyed black jungle fatigues (which now belong with another Forum member) which had seen a lot of use and they took on a purple 'hue' in the right light. I think I posted them here a while ago.

Will

Beau-Brummel

This set (there are trousers too) belonged to Larry Trimble;

Larry (Gambler) Trimble Joined Recon Company CCN In 1968 where he served with RT Rattler and RT Asp, the latter as 1/0 after Westerfield Rotated. This set was specifically modified for An RT Asp Prisoner Snatch operation In 1968, Trimble had a set dyed for each team member. They Infiltrated laos at Dusk and set up beside a pre-determined trail to await their target. During the night the the jungle floor began to glow slightly with phosphorescent algae and when Trimble looked around him he was horrified to see 5 perfect black outlines (his other team members). This experience spooked him so badly that the set was not used on Op's again and was relegated to Club or Compound wear.

I hope this Is of Interest to some members; please forgive the short suspenders but I didn't want to untape them as this Is how I got them.

post-1781-0-59535600-1363344277.jpg

Hi,

Great set Guy . Makes for a great display.

Here is a set that I believe Will was talking about . It is black dyed with shortened sleeves and black Viet made pajama like pants. They belonged to Howard Barrows, who I know nothing about. You can see where the Special forces patches were on the sleeve.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-09219900-1363355713.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Here is a set that I previously had in the collection. There's no story with them, they are simply dyed black jungle fatigues. They are not 'sterile' and have the labels in tact (almost purple in colour from the dye). They are heavily used. These now belong with another forum member, hopefully they are of some use to this topic.

Will

post-5339-0-08167400-1363356081.jpg

Interesting thread.

That Larry Trimble set is a killer :)

Thanks to all for showing your dyed JJs.

Best regards

// Martin

Beau-Brummel

Thank you for the kind words gents, I'm glad you liked It.

Mitch and Will, those are really good looking sets, thank you for taking the time to post them!

Yours, Guy.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Great set Guy . Makes for a great display.

Here is a set that I believe Will was talking about . It is black dyed with shortened sleeves and black Viet made pajama like pants. They belonged to Howard Barrows, who I know nothing about. You can see where the Special forces patches were on the sleeve.

Regards, Mitch

Hey Mitch,

Sorry to drag up an old thread but i just came across it looking into dyed jungles fatigues.

Did you ever find any more out about Barrows? I found this when i goggled his name.

http://www.specialforcesbooks.com/A352.htm

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/36367816/