Commonwealth made Insignia

Gary Cain

These are a few of the insignia I have in my colection. I have tried to get as many different makers marks as possible to show the different variants. If you have questions feel free to ask. All of this insignia has been obtained at either flea markets or garage sales or from the veterans themslves. First a simple word on the makers. JR Gaunt is of course very well known and I would consider their insignia common. There are some rare variants but for the most part Gaunt insignia is common. Real Ludlow insignia is actually kind of uncommon. On the west coast KG Luke is relatively common. Once again there are some very rare insignia variants but on the west coast it is not uncommon to find Luke insignia. Wallace Bishop and Angus And Coote insignia are far more uncommon followed by ROOD, Harris and Co., and finally the most rare is Theo Meyer of Auckland New Zealand. CBI made insignia is usually of very poor quality and almost never marked. That which is marked usually originates in Calcutta or Madras.

post-96-1205367956.jpg

These are a few of the insignia I have in my colection. I have tried to get as many different makers marks as possible to show the different variants. If you have questions feel free to ask. All of this insignia has been obtained at either flea markets or garage sales or from the veterans themslves. First a simple word on the makers. JR Gaunt is of course very well known and I would consider their insignia common. There are some rare variants but for the most part Gaunt insignia is common. Real Ludlow insignia is actually kind of uncommon. On the west coast KG Luke is relatively common. Once again there are some very rare insignia variants but on the west coast it is not uncommon to find Luke insignia. Wallace Bishop and Angus And Coote insignia are far more uncommon followed by ROOD, Harris and Co., and finally the most rare is Theo Meyer of Auckland New Zealand. CBI made insignia is usually of very poor quality and almost never marked. That which is marked usually originates in Calcutta or Madras.

post-96-1205367977.jpg

There are three different KG Luke makers marks found on captains bars and two found on majors and Lt Col leafs. These are following

post-96-1205368261.jpg

There are three different KG Luke makers marks found on captains bars and two found on majors and Lt Col leafs. These are following

post-96-1205368281.jpg

I have only one Ludlow rank insignia and this is it. Ludlow is probably one of the more heavily faked of english made insignia, especially their jump wings.

this is double marked KG Luke top and bottom

post-96-1205368430.jpg

back

I have only one Ludlow rank insignia and this is it. Ludlow is probably one of the more heavily faked of english made insignia, especially their jump wings.

post-96-1205368448.jpg

The unknown makers insignia is mainly from the CBI theatre. Most is crude, there is insignia that is made by casting from AE Co insignia and AMCRAFT. I have pictured those as well.

back

post-96-1205368572.jpg

the col insig on the right is a casting of an AMCRAFT piece. you can barely make out the snowflake pattern

The unknown makers insignia is mainly from the CBI theatre. Most is crude, there is insignia that is made by casting from AE Co insignia and AMCRAFT. I have pictured those as well.

post-96-1205368651.jpg

the col insig on the right is a casting of an AMCRAFT piece. you can barely make out the snowflake pattern

post-96-1205368673.jpg

This is Wallace Bishop insignia front and back. They use two different makers marks

this is the CBI copy of the AE Co. insignia

post-96-1205368879.jpg