18 replies to this topic

#1 Alec

Alec
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,194
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Comments anyone?

You are bidding on anUS Marine Corps military uniform. This has EGA buttons andnumerous decorations, including 5th Marines Wool Patch, Sergeant's Chevron Stripes, Machine Gunner patch, Ribbon Bars and Sharpshooter Medal. This is made of a denim like cotton twill. This auction includes the coat/jacket/tunic and Jodhpur pants/trousers. This is dated 1917 and from the World War I era. This has no marked size but the top measures approx. 17" from armpit to armpit and 29" from top to bottom. Pants measurements: Waistapprox 26" , inseam approx. 23" and length approx. 35"

Attached Images

• uniform1.jpg
  • uniform2.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 08 August 2018 - 04:58 AM.

#2 b_hinch

b_hinch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,602
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Early USMC is not my area of expertise, but as soon as I saw this I thought "What the @#$%"! The coat itself looks okay (?) but all the adornments just look wrong. Curious to hear more.

#3 ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980
  • Members
    • Member ID: 23,325
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

W.HOLDINGS STRIKES AGAIN. Same junk different wrapper.

#4 redjoshman

redjoshman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,574
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

Army coat and breeches. The USMC coat doesn't have lower pockets and the USMC used trousers.

-Josh

#5 ChuckyD

ChuckyD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110,409
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

Someone will buy it. I thought it may have been a great deal but I am NAIVE and NEW to collecting. Thanks for making us novices aware.

SF

#6 firefighter

firefighter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,435
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

I'm not a WW1 patch expert.Do the patches and jacket buttons look right?

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,254 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Saw that, didn't like it. Not a patch guy...but that one looks cut out by a 6 year old

#8 warguy

warguy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 21,606
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

I agree with everyones assessment-where's the pointed cuffs and hodge podge is right? It is like the guy emptied the left over bin onto this tunic. I am glad these fakers never buy a book, this one's not even close. Kevin

#9 firefighter

firefighter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,435
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I agree that it doesn't look right.I was just wondering if the patches looked right?

#10 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

First thing that caught my eye was the 2 red honorable discharge stripes. Especially the one on the right lower sleeve that REALLY is out of place. I've seen some pretty strange WW1 uniform configurations but I'd need a period photo of the guy wearing this uniform to believe it and I suspect there probably isn't one. I'd also think a Marine NCO would know where his insignia belonged on his uniform. Nice piece of fantasy work by a pretty questionable dealer.

#11 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,501 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Nice piece of fantasy work by a pretty questionable dealer.

Ditto!

#12 daniel griffin

daniel griffin

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 948
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

The 5th Marine Brigade patch is a nasty fake.

#13 Clohesey

Clohesey
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,388
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

This resurfaced on eBay again recently, someone dropped $750 on it. The seller moves alot of somewhat high end USMC items, I’m thinking he knows better.

#14 Clohesey

Clohesey
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,388
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 warguy

warguy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 21,606
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:09 AM

Yep still yuck.

#16 kanemono

kanemono
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,487
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

Here is a real patch and uniform.

Attached Images

• USMC-patch.jpg
  • three-marines.jpg

#17 williamsmilitaryrelics

williamsmilitaryrelics
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,240
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

It's a well known " No good ! " uniform who has been for sale multiple times on multiple platforms.

Now, for those who may not know, it's possible to find a legit WWI US Army tunic "re- issued " to a Marine. I had a few in the past, 100% legit and there is why..

After the Armistice, most of the Marines who fought didn't have a second set of greens so they took what was available..the Army tunics, most of them changed the buttons and add their patches is any.

You may even find them with large overcoat buttons on the collar, Ega's collars were not really around right after the war, only a handful of them got some French made collars.

So, finding a US Army tunic re-issued to a US Marine is perfectly possible but, it should be a wool fabric, no summer khaki and if any patches...only from the one who fought..5th - 6th etc... not the 11th and 13th who came later for the Rhineland occupation etc...

Voila !

Will

#18 C. Roelens

C. Roelens
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,673
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

What a joke!!!

#19 CW4AFB

CW4AFB
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,235
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

It's a well known " No good ! " uniform who has been for sale multiple times on multiple platforms.

Now, for those who may not know, it's possible to find a legit WWI US Army tunic "re- issued " to a Marine. I had a few in the past, 100% legit and there is why..

After the Armistice, most of the Marines who fought didn't have a second set of greens so they took what was available..the Army tunics, most of them changed the buttons and add their patches is any.

You may even find them with large overcoat buttons on the collar, Ega's collars were not really around right after the war, only a handful of them got some French made collars.

So, finding a US Army tunic re-issued to a US Marine is perfectly possible but, it should be a wool fabric, no summer khaki and if any patches...only from the one who fought..5th - 6th etc... not the 11th and 13th who came later for the Rhineland occupation etc...

Voila !

Will

Just a quick note to clarify--the 5th and 6th Marines did serve in the Rhineland Occupation while the 11th and 13th did not--they were busy in the Services of Supply running some of the transit camps - including Camp Pontanezen - back in France

Al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users