My VMA-251 New Itami Studio Bullion Black Beauty

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,

This patch is a fairly recent pick up.I was online looking around when I came across this handsome patch.There was about a minute or so left until the auction ended,so I quickly Googled the unit,found out about it,went back and bid on it with seconds to spare.

I had been wanting to add a New Itami Studio piece to my collection,and when I found out it was a Skyraider unit(Marines too!),well that was the icing on the cake.Enjoy!

post-13386-0-59684900-1362143928.jpg

Patchcollector

As you can see in the last couple close up photos,the detail and workmanship is incredible,top notch stuff! :)

post-13386-0-00341500-1362144081.jpg

Patchcollector

Here is a little info about the unit that I found online:

With the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950, VMF-251 was recalled to active service and directed to transition to the AD-4 Skyraider. In late April 1951 the squadron was transferred to Marine Corps Air Station El Toro, California. With the aircraft transition complete, the squadron was re-designated Marine Attack Squadron 251 (VMA-251) on April 25, 1951. VMA-251 embarked to Korea in June 1953. Although the squadron only saw action the last two weeks of the war, it flew 310 combat sorties totaling more than 550 hours and had the distinction of having the last Marine aircraft engaged in combat during the Korean War on 27 July 1953. VMA-251 remained in Korea for two and a half years providing air defense along the Korean Demilitarized Zone.

In January 1956, the Thunderbolts relocated to Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan and remained in the Far East for fifteen months. In 1957, VMA-251 was again relocated to Marine Corps Air Station Miami, Florida flying the FJ-4 Fury. With the transition to the FJ-4 came the re-designation to VMF-251 on April 20, 1957.

Really nice patch! Can you elaborate on New Itami Studio? I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything. My SWAG is that it is a Japanese company, but I'm sure there are more details about them.

firefighter

Really nice patch! Can you elaborate on New Itami Studio? I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything. My SWAG is that it is a Japanese company, but I'm sure there are more details about them.

I think you maybe right.I could only find this, "New Itami Studios" shop in Yokusuka.

vintageproductions

Newe Itami Studios was a embroidery shop near Osaka Japan, as that area used to be known as Itami.

Patchcollector

I was doing some research on this unit when I came across this comment left by a unit member:

Special Detachment

I was with VMA-251 , stationed at Atsugi , Japan, for most of 1956. We were a detachment of the main squadron, which was based at Iwakuni, Japan.

We were a “Special weapons Delivery Unit" consisting of about 12 pilots, flying AD-4 and AD-6 Douglas Skyraiders (A-1’s).

Our mission was the delivery of tactical atomic weapons.

Our C.O. at the time was Lt. Col. Edgar Smith.

Wow,a Skyraider unit set up to deliver Tactical Nukes! :o

Here is a link to the excellent website that I found this on:

http://www.vmfa251.org/history_accounts_velie.htm

Very nice patch, I had been watching it also, but got left in the dust in the last minute of bids. Very striking, silver on black

• 3 weeks later...
Patchcollector

Well fellow patch peeps here is your chance to get a New Itami Studio VMA-251 bullion patch just like the one from my collection!

Here is the link to the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-Japanese-Made-USMC-VMA-251-Bullion-Squadron-Insignia-One-Of-The-Best-/140937874568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d08d4c88