Possible Pearl Harbor Group

Austin R

I was going through the coin section on ebay and came across this small group with a BIN. I saw the Pearl Harbor Veterans medals and lapel pins and jumped on it. I thought the parts were at least worth that so I took the risk. The photo is too poor to make out the name, but the seller thinks it is Robert Brayer. He is not 100% sure though, since he wrapped it before he read my question.

I will post more photos when it arrives.

5e388139e69b88c35c9a92a030f1de52_zps98925330.jpg

5d8942dc74750a98350f2eb4bfffeff1_zps4c326333.jpg

6755c531461cbdb7fb124834147517ff_zps08b22277.jpg

f92a9a07f2a437fe707c0df992f13a5f_zps65c5076e.jpg

09e9e6d353ea0132f5de425dc10d30ab_zps708d5e88.jpg

ef453c92b140106a005b28ec68a18e47_zps25e30ffa.jpg

a686795d7d503001627d79b3d02e878b_zpsbda549a3.jpg

ab698ba376577ab1cc88b3b5ad2019c5_zpsd8489d44.jpg

Hello!

The name looks like Robert McBrayer, and there are quite a few entries in the USN Muster rolls for a Veteran with that name. According to two of the entries one of 30 September 31 and one of December 31, 1941 he was on the USS Sicard DM 21 (a light mine-layer). The Sicard was indeed present at Pearl Harbor, so congratulations on your excellent find!

Best wishes!

Joe

Hello!

The name looks like Robert McBrayer, and there are quite a few entries in the USN Muster rolls for a Veteran with that name. According to two of the entries one of 30 September 31 and one of December 31, 1941 he was on the USS Sicard DM 21 (a light mine-layer). The Sicard was indeed present at Pearl Harbor, so congratulations on your excellent find!

Best wishes!

Joe

Thank you Joe, I was extremely excited when I got it because a grouping like this is out of a High schooler's league.

Good work, I can't believe you got to it before Kurt.

Thank you

You are on a roll Austin, first the WW1 USMC group and now this!

Philip

Thanks Philip, you've been picking up some amazing uniforms in the past few months.

Thanks M and Leonardo

Thank God for named medals

I couldn't agree more, I'm trying to focus my collection to named items only. It means a lot more if you have a name and face to the item.

Good work, I can't believe you got to it before Kurt.

Me Either! LOL

Nice find. I like the fact it has the Pearl Harbor medal with it,

Kurt

Great set of medals! I'm looking forward to seeing what your research turns up. There are several Robert McBrayers on findagrave, but here is a possible link. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Mcbrayer&GSfn=Robert&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=51116058&df=all&

I think that may be him since the cpo collar brass is for a Master Chief and the seller is from Northfolk. I'm thinking he may have just served stateside during Korea and Vietnam.

Your man was the Robert (no middle initial) McBrayer on the USS Sicard . He had a re-enlistment in Nov 1942, which corresponds with the 1942 date on the medal.

The cased Pearl Harbor medal with attribution is tough to find. Most are not attributed , and there is a fellow who got his hands on a bunch of them that were never issued who has sold them. I have seen his selling them for the past few years at shows 1 at a time.

Kurt

I have a question about the American Defense Service medal worn by Pearl Harbor vets. On the medal shown in this thread there is the service star on the medal, but I thought that was only for wear with the ribbon. Should the vet have worn the Fleet clasp, the Base clasp, or the "A" device?

BTW, I think I have returned to this thread at least 8 or 9 times. What a great group!

I have a question about the American Defense Service medal worn by Pearl Harbor vets. On the medal shown in this thread there is the service star on the medal, but I thought that was only for wear with the ribbon. Should the vet have worn the Fleet clasp, the Base clasp, or the "A" device?

BTW, I think I have returned to this thread at least 8 or 9 times. What a great group!

The A device was an award to people who engaged or came near to engaging Axis forces in the Atlantic before pearl harbor. I believe Pearl Harbor vets recieved the fleet clasp.

That is a nice find!

Congratulations!

Thank you Rusty

• 9 months later...

A good conduct (with 5 subsequent awards) mounted group to a Pearl Harbor survivor who served in 3 wars. That sailor was squared away. Congrats on having it in your collection. Just wondering why he never remounted to add his Korean or Vietnam service medals.

A good conduct (with 5 subsequent awards) mounted group to a Pearl Harbor survivor who served in 3 wars. That sailor was squared away. Congrats on having it in your collection. Just wondering why he never remounted to add his Korean or Vietnam service medals.

Thanks, I don't think he served overseas during Korea and Vietnam.

• 5 years later...

Austin R, I just came across this post regarding medals from Robert McBrayer. I'm curious if you still have these? Robert was my great uncle.