• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1stusmcdiv42

1stusmcdiv42
  • Members
    • Member ID: 79,442
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

I am currently engaged in a WWI Marine project for our historical education organization that requires reproductions of some WWI uniforms.

I am hoping someone here can provide me with a clothing pattern for making the USMC Wool P17 and P12 tunics, and the army M1912 and M1917 wool tunics.

I am quite handy with a sewing machine and have thus far been able to create the pants, but the tunics are impossible to make without a sewing pattern to use. I only need to make a few of these for use on mannequins and two or three uniforms to make for us to wear at events. I am resorting to making the uniforms because none of us have the capital to invest in the WWII impressions uniforms or a schipperfabrik uniform.

Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated.

#2 72psb

72psb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 68,747
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just buy a mothed out original,deconstruct it,make your patterns,sew up the new ones,save the cut up ones for repairs,enjoy. :D

#3 1stusmcdiv42

1stusmcdiv42
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thats easy enough to do for the army uniforms, but its very very hard to find a USMC P1912 or P1917 tunic in any shape in any size. If I did happen to find a P12 or P17 I dare not cut it up ;) It just so happens its the P12 and P17 I really really need so I can make one in a size that fits me for our displays.

#4 Cavdoc83

Cavdoc83
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,378
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

The pattern is not that difficult. If you're handy enough to de-construct originals and make patterns, you can modify off the shelf patterns. I recently made a US 1909 pattern coat by modifying a Civil War pattern. When I get home this eve, I'll look up the pattern number. It was really pretty close. The real cost in these things is in the materials. The reason that the repro uniforms are so expensive is that the wool has had to be custom milled to get it right. Where are you getting your wool?

#5 72psb

72psb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 68,747
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

I would be curious to know if the quartermaster corps of the army and navy have some repostitory for contract specifications.The patterns had to be available for private contractors to make tailor made uniforms.Anybody have any ideas if this info is available?I know catalogs were published.I'd like to know if they kept the patterns or blueprints.
Bob

#6 1stusmcdiv42

1stusmcdiv42
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

The pattern is not that difficult. If you're handy enough to de-construct originals and make patterns, you can modify off the shelf patterns. I recently made a US 1909 pattern coat by modifying a Civil War pattern. When I get home this eve, I'll look up the pattern number. It was really pretty close. The real cost in these things is in the materials. The reason that the repro uniforms are so expensive is that the wool has had to be custom milled to get it right. Where are you getting your wool?

I actually have been able to find a decent look alike wool off the shelf at a fabric store with a brown color very close to the WWI wool brown used in the uniforms. However it is almost impossible to find a forest green wool for the Marine uniform. Once I do a bit of research on dying wool I plan on getting some near white or light grey wool and dye it forest green myself.

Will these uniforms be 100% perfect replicas......meh, Id say there gonna be about 90% right. The purpose however is to use these uniforms for running around in fields and kinda trashing. Originals will be used for display.

#7 1stusmcdiv42

1stusmcdiv42
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Has anyone turned up a pattern for a tunic yet? I have been feverishly searching but to no avail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)