Feburay 17th IWO JIMA The first assault .Marine Silver star

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

I thought I would show this group again,Since its February 17th The first Iwo assault with the marines and the UDT. Where Edward Brockmeyer lost his life fighting for our country.Very sad day for the Navy and Marines before the big invasion on feb 19th.

post-421-0-49275100-1361134874.jpg

Raidercollector

Here is LCI 449 ,Where Brockmeyer and the navy went in and were attacked by the Japanese and he lost his life with several other navy men fighting for our country.

post-421-0-01283800-1361136016.jpg

Nice grouping Nick.

Several years ago I had the honor of meeting another LCI gunboat Captain who was there that day. LCI-449 that you mentioned was part of an LCI squadron there that day, screening for UDT men and trying to draw gunfire too. The man I met was a Navy Cross recipient for what he did along with 449, the commander of 449 was Rufus Herring, he received the Medal of Honor for his actions on the 17th. I have a Navy Cross group from the LCI gunboat squadron commander too, the man who commanded 449 and all the other boats.

From what the man I me told me, they felt the Japanese may have thought that the LCI squadron was the actual assault on the island, as they had been first steaming parallel to the shoreline, then once they turned in towards the shore the Japanese opened up.

I saw my guy's photo album and was amazed at the damage to his own LCI.

There is a good book out about the Pre-invasion events, I will get the title for you if you do not already have the book.

MW

suwanneetrader

Very nice, MWalsh I sent you a PM as interested to find any info on a Edward "Ed" Derringer who was also part of the preinvasion Underwater team. Richard

Kurt Barickman

Nivk,

What a great grouping. Did you display that at the Chicago show a few years ago; same show I sold you that Peleliu USMC PH? That is a fantastic group and most people don't know about the USMC connection to the UDT.

Mike,

I remember you telling me about the NC USN officer. Great post to all.

Kurt

I got a PM from another member about the book I was referring to, it is called IWO JIMA RECON: THE US NAVY AT WAR, FEBRUARY 17th, 1945, the author is Dick Camp.

Barnes and Noble used to have it, I suspect Amazon does now too.

MW

Raidercollector

Hi Mike

I already have the book. And I have a video from the USS Nevada Of the LCI,S going in. Its unbelievable , I had posted this group about 6 or 7 years ago.. The captain of LCI 449 was Rufus Herring ,Which on that day was next to Brockmeyer the marine observer giving directions on the japanese where abouts. when the Japanese started shelling them with mortar fire . And a shell landed right in the observer tower and blew captain herring out and he landed on the deck mortally wounded still commanding fire and earned the medal of honor for his horric actions,While brockmeyer was killed instinly when the shell hit inside the tower,Its was horable.His body was picked up in buckets from the survivers Pvt Brockmeyer received the silver star for those actions..I have lots of info i could post more.

Raidercollector

'ww1collector'

And you have is navy brother's PH!!!

Yes I do Dave ,Thanks to you.Looking forward to seeing some of you guys at the SOS.

Nick