#51 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Bily
I echo Kriegs pain!!!

Very nice example.Did you buy this at a show or from a fellow enthusiast??

RON

#52 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Not a SOG but Im sure the scabbard is familiar to you guys.Was bought just as found.I often wonder if the owner wanted a longer knife or lost the original one from the scabbard

2008_09160044.JPG

#53 billythekid

billythekid
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,437
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

Bily
I echo Kriegs pain!!!

Very nice example.Did you buy this at a show or from a fellow enthusiast??

RON

The knife was purchased from a well known collector / dealer (and one terrific fella - incredibly friendly and knowledgeable). I now hope to find a round tip bolo to complete the set - any idea what those go for now days ?

If anyone is interested, I've updated a short review I did on these knives - posted on my small webpage:

http://www.freewebs....cvsogknives.htm

The photos and bit of info on the 7" model can be found in the 2nd section - hope this is of interest. If anyone finds any errors please feel free to let me know (contact me here via private message).

Thanks again and kind regards,

Bill

#54 Spy vs Spy

Spy vs Spy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,634
  • 622 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

Not a SOG but Im sure the scabbard is familiar to you guys.Was bought just as found.I often wonder if the owner wanted a longer knife or lost the original one from the scabbard
2008_09160044.JPG

Hey Ron.
Nice set you have there my friend. ;)
If you look in Hardys and Tuckers book you can se some RT photos when some RT members have exact same set up as you have, K Bar in a SOG scabbard. My guess is that maybe they lost the SOG knife when taped upside down on the rigg, just like Frank Greco mentions in his book, Running Recon. Or replaced the SOG with a better knife. I got a couple of e-mails from SOG veterans that said same thing about the SOG knife, - you just couldn`t use it for anything good, a piece of crap.

If you ever decide too part with the K-bar Ron please let me know. ;)

Hey Billy.
I don`t know why I can`t se the pictures. :ermm:
But I guess you went for the SOG 7" RECON, the one you sent me photos on.. That is a "killer" knife.. :w00t: :thumbsup: ;)

Best regards,, Martin

#55 Spy vs Spy

Spy vs Spy
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hey Billy.
YES... That is really a nice 7" RECON.. :w00t: Congratulate too a great buy mate, and thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbsup:
I think I must make some trips too the Rig and then buy my self a SOG 7" RECON.
Again great knife Billy.

Regards, Martin

#56 Spy vs Spy

Spy vs Spy
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

Ron, I raise your SOG scabbard, but I guess you still beat me with your knife. ;)
My SOG sheath was bought from baystatemilitaria. Nice and used.
// M

Attached Images

• SheathC.jpg
  • SheathB.jpg
  • SheathA.jpg

Edited by Spy vs Spy, 28 September 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#57 warpath

warpath

• Members
    • Member ID: 3,653
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:08 AM

Ron, I raise your SOG scabbard, but I guess you still beat me with your knife. ;)
My SOG sheath was bought from baystatemilitaria. Nice and used.
// M

SOG OP 35 Shining Brass/Buffalo Bill Knife engraved presentation to SFC Horton J. Daniels MAC-SOG 35 Liaison Bureau with a chrome plated SOG Knife

Attached Images

• post_3653_1254356547.jpg

#58 warpath

warpath

• Members
    • Member ID: 3,653
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:09 AM

SOG OP 35 Shining Brass/Buffalo Bill Knife engraved presentation to SFC Horton J. Daniels MAC-SOG 35 Liaison Bureau with a chrome plated SOG Knife

Attached Images

• post_3653_1254356582.jpg

#59 wahoowad

wahoowad
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 8,077
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:45 AM

Great looking knives, gentlemen! Here's my SOG Bowie. It has a dark blued 6" blade and no markings anywhere.

I am trying to decide what to do with it since this is the only collectible military knife I own. I've kept it in a shoebox for the past 20 years! :blink:

Posted Image

#60 Spy vs Spy

Spy vs Spy
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Great looking knives, gentlemen! Here's my SOG Bowie. It has a dark blued 6" blade and no markings anywhere.

I am trying to decide what to do with it since this is the only collectible military knife I own. I've kept it in a shoebox for the past 20 years! :blink:

Posted Image

Hey wahoowad.
That is a nice Fat Guard SOG you have there. :thumbsup:
My opinion on what too do with it, is too take it out of the shoebox and display it. Let it get some air. ;) Its a great knife and deserve some "loving" :lol:
-If you ever decide too part with it plaese let me know.
Thanks for showing your SOG for us.

Best regards,, Martin

#61 AEM

AEM
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 7,363
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:21 PM

Billythekid,

I love that Recon knife!

What color do you think the spacers on each end of the leather washers were? They look like they were white originally but have turned a yellow or reddish color.

#62 billythekid

billythekid
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,437
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

Billythekid,

I love that Recon knife!

What color do you think the spacers on each end of the leather washers were? They look like they were white originally but have turned a yellow or reddish color.

Thanks - I believe the spacers / washers were originally white, but have turned a uniform yellow over the years.

Best regards

Bill

#63 Spy vs Spy

Spy vs Spy
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

Thanks - I believe the spacers / washers were originally white, but have turned a uniform yellow over the years.

Best regards
Bill

Hey Billy.

I think they were originally cream colored. All the SOG Reconīs that I have seen all have same cream color, just like the 6" SOG Iron Guard Presentation ones usally have.
Just my opinion. ;)

Regards,, M

Edited by Spy vs Spy, 08 October 2009 - 11:59 AM.

#64 Bellevance

Bellevance
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 8,301
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hello Collectors,

Newbie here with an inquiry.

At a pawn shop in Costa Mesa, Calif., back in 1973, I picked up a used SOG 5th Special Forces (ABN) Vietnam fighting knife, all original in very good condition, no nicks, with the sheath and stone (no box). Its plum color is about half visible and the engraving and Special Forces shield are clear. Because I am no collector of militaria, I might be interested in selling this knife to a collector, but I cannot estimate its value.

Even without pictures (my camera is a poor one), I hope that someone here will have a ballpark figure. My knife is in much better shape than warpath's example here in this discussion. I will do my best to post photos if anyone has an interest.

Thanks.

Don

Edited by Bellevance, 23 October 2009 - 04:50 PM.

#65 swamper

swamper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,098
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hello Collectors,

At a pawn shop in Costa Mesa, Calif., back in 1973, I picked up a used SOG 5th Special Forces (ABN) Vietnam fighting knife, all original in very good condition, no nicks, with the sheath and stone (no box). Its plum color is about half visible and the engraving and Special Forces shield are clear. Because I am no collector of militaria, I might be interested in selling this knife to a collector, but I cannot estimate its value.

Even without pictures (my camera is a poor one), I hope that someone here will have a ballpark figure. My knife is in much better shape than warpath's example here in this discussion. I will do my best to post photos if anyone has an interest.

Thanks.

Don

sir
i am interested in your sog knife if you can post some pics of it. looking forward to hearing from you and seeing the knife. thanks

#66 Spy vs Spy

Spy vs Spy
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

Hey Bellevance.

Send me an PM or email and we can talk. Im interested in your SOG.

Best regards,, Martin

Hello Collectors,

Thanks.

Don

#67 Bellevance

Bellevance
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:49 AM

Thanks, Martin and Swamper. For some reason, I am unable to post personal messages.

Until I can upload some worthy images of the knife, let me say that it's in very good condition. Recently (on Sept. 14), a similar knife sold on eBay. I will paste in a link to that item, below. The pictures the seller posted on eBay depict a knife similar to mine. The grip and brasswork on mine are in better condition, and mine still has the thong and the ivory-colored spacers. The plum color on mine is half gone, and the sheath is somewhat more scuffed than the one in the photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

Edited by Bellevance, 27 October 2009 - 05:52 AM.

#68 swamper

swamper
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

Thanks, Martin and Swamper. For some reason, I am unable to post personal messages.

Until I can upload some worthy images of the knife, let me say that it's in very good condition. Recently (on Sept. 14), a similar knife sold on eBay. I will paste in a link to that item, below. The pictures the seller posted on eBay depict a knife similar to mine. The grip and brasswork on mine are in better condition, and mine still has the thong and the ivory-colored spacers. The plum color on mine is half gone, and the sheath is somewhat more scuffed than the one in the photos.

#69 swamper

swamper
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

sir
any idea on your asking price for your knife?. thanks

#70 Bellevance

Bellevance
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

Swamper,

I will sell my SOG for $1K, shipped.

#71 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

Swamper,

I will sell my SOG for $1K, shipped.

Sent pm

#72 dkr02

dkr02
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,118
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Anyone know anything about a repro SOG bowie that was made by Utica Cutlery for the Special Operations Association? Have chance to pick up one for a good price, but haven't seen it . Opinions?

Rick

#73 swamper

swamper
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

Anyone know anything about a repro SOG bowie that was made by Utica Cutlery for the Special Operations Association? Have chance to pick up one for a good price, but haven't seen it . Opinions?

Rick

sir
if it is the repro sog i am thinking of you can find them for $30 to $40 on ebay brand new. i have 2 still in the package.

#74 AK101

AK101
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,719
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/Biggame223/SOGblade.jpg

I never thought I would find one of these I could actually afford..... :blink:

I will get some pics together of it w/ some ZigZag Tigers, a K-50M, RPG2 and whatever else cool Vietnam related I might have access to. I think I'm about ready to chop one of the RPDs...

Edited by AK101, 24 January 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#75 AK101

AK101
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,719
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Any tips on sheath care? I live in a fairly dry area and wish to avoid it drying out and cracking....

THANKS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users