Killed in Action 45 years ago at Hue City

devildog34

Kurt Barickman

Although I was just a kid I remember watching it all on TV as our family's interest was heightened as my brother was about to leave for this place and would be assigned to 3/5. Kevin, thanks for posting.

Kurt

• 10 months later...

Having since obtained his file since this was originally posted (FOIA of course) I realized he was awarded the bronze star posthumously. His citation is as follows:

"For heroic achievement in connection with operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam while serving as a rifleman with Company A , First Battalion, Fifth Marines, First Marine Division. On the afternoon of 18February1968. During Operation HUE CITy, Corporal Harkansen's squad was maneuvering toward its objective when the unit came under a heavy volume of automatic weapons fire and was temporarily pinned down in an exposed position. While occupying a position behind his squad, Corporal Harkansen alertly observed the source of the enemy attack. A machine gun was firing from a concealed and well fortified position in the window of a building complex. Realizing the necessity of maintaining the momentum of the assault, unhesitatingly and with complete disregard for his own safety, he stood and delivered an accurate, suppressive barrage on the hostile emplacement, thus quickening the advance of his squad. In an effort to completely destroy the machine gun, he obtained a Light Antitank Assault Weapons (LAAW) and again courageously stood to fire, when he was struck by the enemy and fell mortally wounded. Inspired by Corporal Harkansen's selfless devotion to duty, his fellow Marines continued their assault and successfully accomplished the mission. His bold initiative, daring fighting spirit and complete devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country."

Here 46 years later he is remembered and honored.

Semper Fi

Kevin,

Your thread brings back the horror of the meat-grinder, the war we all watched on the news every night. The first war televised. You have honored this Veteran (may he rest in peace, even though he is on guard duty in Heaven :)) , and we will keep his name alive thanks to you. All who have served and presently serve are heroes in my book. This particular post really humbles me, I remember how scared I was when my dad took me to register for the draft, I can still smell the courthouse. It was late 1972, I was classified as 1-A, then, by Gods grace I was reclassified as 1-H in early 1973.

It's important to remember, to preserve, and to care. You show all three in this thread, thank you sir.

My best to you always,

Joe

Kevin,

Your thread brings back the horror of the meat-grinder, the war we all watched on the news every night. The first war televised. You have honored this Veteran (may he rest in peace, even though he is on guard duty in Heaven :)) , and we will keep his name alive thanks to you. All who have served and presently serve are heroes in my book. This particular post really humbles me, I remember how scared I was when my dad took me to register for the draft, I can still smell the courthouse. It was late 1972, I was classified as 1-A, then, by Gods grace I was reclassified as 1-H in early 1973.

It's important to remember, to preserve, and to care. You show all three in this thread, thank you sir.

My best to you always,

Joe

Wow thank you Joe it's a tremendous honor to keep this hard chargers story alive.

Semper Fi