2008 Can you I.D. these service ribbons?

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Can you identify these service ribbons? ENJOY! thumbsup.gif

post-837-1205028795.jpg

The last 2 rows are for California NG service and are as follows starting from top right to left:

Ca good conduct/Ca federal service/unknown?/Ca state service/Ca nco academy/ca drill attendance.

It appears from the rest of the rack this soldier was first in the Navy & then entered the Ca NG. He served from the 1950's until at least 1984 judging from the reserves components overseas training ribbon.

Hope this helps

Darktrooper
The last 2 rows are for California NG service and are as follows starting from top right to left:

Ca good conduct/Ca federal service/unknown?/Ca state service/Ca nco academy/ca drill attendance.

It appears from the rest of the rack this soldier was first in the Navy & then entered the Ca NG. He served from the 1950's until at least 1984 judging from the reserves components overseas training ribbon.

Hope this helps

Officers do not wear marksmanship badges in the US Army. The Armed Forces Reserve medal ribbon is missing a device on it.

Wait a minute.

This guy is a Korea Vet? served in 5 combat campains?

Why the HECK IS HE WEARING A CHINA SERVICE MEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy must be fricking 200 years old.

Officers do not wear marksmanship badges in the US Army. The Armed Forces Reserve medal ribbon is missing a device on it.

Wait a minute.

This guy is a Korea Vet? served in 5 combat campains?

Why the HECK IS HE WEARING A CHINA SERVICE MEDAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This guy must be fricking 200 years old.

I agree it is probably missing a device on the Armed force reserves medal, but as far as the china service medal it is plausible. Here is the criteria for it:

The China Service Medal was established on August 23, 1940, by Navy Department General Orders Number 135 as amended on January 22, 1947, by ALNAV 25 (further amended on January 28, 1948, by Navy Department General Orders Number 255). The China Service Medal was awarded for qualifying service between the inclusive dates of July 7, 1937, and September 7, 1939; and was was subsequently extended to include service rendered between September 2, 1945, to April 1, 1957.

Darktrooper
I agree it is probably missing a device on the Armed force reserves medal, but as far as the china service medal it is plausible. Here is the criteria for it:

The China Service Medal was established on August 23, 1940, by Navy Department General Orders Number 135 as amended on January 22, 1947, by ALNAV 25 (further amended on January 28, 1948, by Navy Department General Orders Number 255). The China Service Medal was awarded for qualifying service between the inclusive dates of July 7, 1937, and September 7, 1939; and was was subsequently extended to include service rendered between September 2, 1945, to April 1, 1957.

plausible, but the whole ribbon rack seems hinky to me.

Wings look to be Naval or USMC Navigator wings.

Collar brass is unknown to me..possibly state guard of some sort?

MP Officer though.

L to R, top to bottom...

Army Commendation

Navy Presidential Unit Citation w/1 star

Navy Good Conduct

Unknown, Meritorous Unit Citation, China Service

Army Reserve Good conduct w/2 oakleaves, National Defense w/1 star, Korean campaign medal w/1 star

UN Service, Armed Forces Reserve Service (10 yrs), Army service ribbon

Army overseas service, Army overseas Reserve service, Korean PUC

Next rows are National Guard so that knocks me out.

So, based on all that, what I see is a Korean war navy vet, likely someone who served as an aerial navigator.

After Korea, served in the regular army or army reserve or national guard.

The only thing that throws me off on this one is the Navy MUC, since it wasn't established until 1967 and no retroactive awards of that one were given. Not sure if any army units got it or not.

Totally plausible ribbon rack for a long serving officer. But, one that makes you stop and go..."Huhhhhhh?" until you think about it.

Bonjour

AVR could be for (US Army) Volunteer Reserve. According to them they are a uniformed civilian group of volunteers with a military motif, unarmed, dedicated to creating a trained pool of personnel to be available to any government agaency or charity that needs them. They wear ranks, medals and seem to have no relations with the US Army.

Cheers

Valery

Sarge,

Was this your uniform?

BEAST: No, it belonged to a much older man who was in the Korean War, in 1953 I was eleven years old in the 4th grade at Porter Military Academy in Charleston, South Carolina. Actually the man is in the American Volunteer Reserve, not to be confused with LTG Bauman's group, the AVR does not have weapons training and there is only one general who got his authorization through the Army of the United States as an Army Ambassador. AVR provides final honours for veterans and maintains medical personnel who'll make themselves available in a disaster. There is no age limit and most are former California State Military Reserve and many have been in the U.S. Armed Forces and their reserves. They wear a special uniform at buriral sites that is like the American Legion in appearance, the men and women are unpaid volunteers, nay are from Canada, the Philippines, Russia, Zimbabwe, etc., not just from the U.S.! Here are some more ribbons to guess what they are, Beast! :blink:

post-837-1205085292.jpg

The Korean Presidential unit Citation is on the wrong side of the uniform.

DARKTROOPER: The Army of the United States wear their unit citations over the right pocket, but as the man who wears those ribbons showm he is former U.S. Navy and the USCG, USMC, and USN wear their citations like he is wearing them there. The identification of the Federal ribbons is correct, but even I have trouble with California Army National Guard and California State Military Reserve service ribbons identification, believe it or not? I have many of them myself and get mine on confused, it ain't easy as they've also changed the names of them. You can see my pictures at http://www.militarybadges.info and see I have very few Federal ribbons as they just did not give us many in the 1950s, so it seems? :( (I do not count retroactive ribbons like for being sent overseas, etc., did not exist when I was in, but its thoughtful of them to have created them?)

post-837-1205086062.jpg

hhbooker2,

Believe the ribbon in the top left second row, partially hidden by the lapel, is the Navy WWII Occupation Service ribbon. Assuming it is Navy issue since all his other period awards are Navy. This award fits in with his Korean period awards.

Also think the Armed Forces Reserve Service medal without device is proper for the period. Received mine in 1984 and Regs at the time specified an Hourglass device only for additional awards of the medal (i.e. 20 years and 30 years). If this veteran retired shortly after 20 years service (4 years active Navy and 16 years Guard/Reserve) and went into the AVR, he would not qualify for a second award. Understand the criteria for the Hourglass device has changed now, but since I have no access to current Regs, this ribbon is still plain on my old ribbon bar.

The Korean PUC on the ribbon bar is proper for Navy and Air Force, but not the Army. The Army wears the larger version above the right pocket. Except for the Navy citation ribbon which the vet may have mistakenly awarded himself for something his ship received in the Korean War, the group seem genuinely valid for a two-service, long-service veteran.

Frederick

hhbooker2,

Believe the ribbon in the top left second row, partially hidden by the lapel, is the Navy WWII Occupation Service ribbon. Assuming it is Navy issue since all his other period awards are Navy. This award fits in with his Korean period awards.

Also think the Armed Forces Reserve Service medal without device is proper for the period. Received mine in 1984 and Regs at the time specified an Hourglass device only for additional awards of the medal (i.e. 20 years and 30 years). If this veteran retired shortly after 20 years service (4 years active Navy and 16 years Guard/Reserve) and went into the AVR, he would not qualify for a second award. Understand the criteria for the Hourglass device has changed now, but since I have no access to current Regs, this ribbon is still plain on my old ribbon bar.

The Korean PUC on the ribbon bar is proper for Navy and Air Force, but not the Army. The Army wears the larger version above the right pocket. Except for the Navy citation ribbon which the vet may have mistakenly awarded himself for something his ship received in the Korean War, the group seem genuinely valid for a two-service, long-service veteran.

Frederick

FREDERICK: Yes, that is correct about the Armed Forces Reserve Medal, even in the State Military Reserve would not count toward time in the national guard or reserve. Maybe the rules about the award of the Navy Unit Citation were different at that time? He is also a retired Commander from the California Highway Patrol from the Mariposa area. When I was in the SMR we had a man who has been in the Occupation of Germany in 1919. w00t.gif Sarge Booker

post-837-1205087652.jpg