Is this tigerstripe jacket real?

GeneralCheese

GeneralCheese

I have almost no experience with tigerstripes, but when I saw this at Goodwill I knew I couldn't leave it if it turned out to be real. Everything seems alright, but the buttons feel cheap and have very rounded backsides. Is it real?

qE0GGmih.jpg

B96cXahh.jpg

Niu5e6gh.jpg

I don't think it's real. ;) I'll take the repro off your hands. :D

Awesome find. The size is US-Medium.If there was an 'A' in front of the size it would be Asian-SIZE.

GeneralCheese

If I were to sell it, what could I realistically expect? I tried searching through eBay but none were exactly like this one, and I know that even the smallest differences can have the largest price gap.

I hate to quote a price because it all depends on the buyer and hw bad he or she wants the item.I personally have seen them go for around $75-$100.Larger sizes are more desirable, as the person can wear it instead of sitting in a closet.

GeneralCheese

Thanks firefighter and vintageproductions. What I find most amusing though is that the Goodwill wanted more for a set of faded BDUs.

I would buy these shirts all day for $100, but you can expect to sell this for $250+

I would buy these shirts all day for $100, but you can expect to sell this for $250+

WOW! Is that what their going for?

How about the Asian size?

WOW! Is that what their going for?

How about the Asian size?

That's what I sell them for.....and have sold them in the past for $350 for a single shirt.

There seems to be an adversion to Asian sized items but the multiple tigerstripes I have directly from vets, the majority are Asian size marked. Kinda weird! It may be due to the fact that I have mostly tigers from U.S. Navy guys....don't know exactly.

Like I said a typical How much is this worth sales thread ........

Its on the FOR SALE section now .

OWEN

Oh well, That seem's to be the way it goes.Typically it seems to go to eBay.

$290.Glad we could help.

I agree with Spike, Owen and Firefighter on this.

The Pros get the big prices because they are pros. They live and breath this stuff. Giving away price information is like reveling a source. You loose your edge that way.

I know some of you guys can remember a time when you actually had to go out work for your information. Now it's Google it or look it up on eBay.

It creates an environment where the lowest common denominator is the norm and sloth and ignorance are rewarded.

Jason

GeneralCheese

Wow... I have wanted one for a while, yes. But now, after I see how much it is worth, I don't want it as much. If it were worth only $100 or so, I'd be fine with keeping it around. I just don't feel right having it just hanging in my closet because it is worth so much.

I'm sorry for making you guys feel like I have "played" you but you have to see where I am coming from. It's like the old currency and coins I have, I keep it around because it is low maintenance and no single piece I have is worth more than $30. If I had a coin or bill worth $2,000 I would hate having it, because it would be on my mind all the time just because I have it in my possession.

"I just don't feel right having it just hanging in my closet because it is worth so much."

Then you are NOT a collector. That is probably the lamest explanation for selling something I have seen in a long time. Go back to collecting coins.

TRUE collectors closets are FILLED with very cool and VERY expensive stuff and we have NO problem keeping them rather than turning a quick buck.

LAME!!!!!!

GeneralCheese

No, I am a collector. Just not of uniforms. I collect helmets now, because I know how to display and care for them. I don't know how to display or care for uniforms, and having a uniform worth so much is not what I want. While your closet may be full of rare uniforms, my shelves are filling with rare helmets and liners. if you can't appreciate that I have different collecting interests than you, then you should not be talking.

I can appreciate your collecting interests...that's NOT the point. You played us for fools to get a price!

YOU said you "wanted a tigerstripe for awhile" then as soon as you hear it's worth something off to the for sale section it goes.

THAT, sunshine, is what is pissing me and maybe others off.

You probably got it for around 5-10 bucks, all the MORE reason to keep it cause those kinda deals don't happen very often.