Some of my models

elvis3006

Superb paint job! I always think that such aircraft models look best displayed on a mirrored surface because there's so much detail on the underside which otherwise goes unseen.

Superb paint job! I always think that such aircraft models look best displayed on a mirrored surface because there's so much detail on the underside which otherwise goes unseen.

I agree a lot of detail gets missed unless the model is hung up or like you suggest placing a mirror underneath. Thank you for the compliment. Rob

I can't add much to what others have said except to add my own kudos. The Avenger is phenomonal! The shading and weathering are perfectly executed. Shows knowledge, skill, and an eye for detail. I've been a sucker for dioramas ever since Monogram models included Shep Paine's tip sheets in their kits in the 1970's. You build the kind of dios I never get tired of looking at - U.S. subjects, well built and weathered, quality figures skillfully painted, compact & purposeful composition, interesting details... Thanks for posting your work. I hope you have more to show us.

Johan and GI Tom thank you for the praise. Johan real cute comment about my avatar lol. I remember as a kid when i first saw Shep Paine's work, this was around the mid 70's, his Sherman tank models and the 1/48 scale B 17 diorama. The one that shows an emergency landing with the crew standing around it. Incredible work that inspired me. I have more work to show,but some of it is German armor and have not posted it because this is a US forum. Thanks again. Rob

I love the Hellcat cockpit, and that last photo of the P-47 is great!

How long does it take, on average, to finish one?

Thank you. How long does it take you ask, it all depends. Usually i can have a model complete in less than a month, from first sprue cut to display. Sometimes faster if the ole lady aint bugging me :rolleyes:

I don't know exactly what to say ... the quality of thoses models is amazing, if only I was able to do half ot that :blush:

The weathering of the planes is very realistic, as the israeli Sherman ... and others.

Brian Dentino

Rob, I can only echo the praises of others in that your work is beautiful and very well done. The planes are my favorite, with the detail and the various shading make them look great! Your work is as superior as anyone out there that I have seen. Do you enter them in modeling competitions?

Brian thank you for the kind words, i appreciate it. No i have never entered my models in competition, never really thought about it. Showing them on here is the first time i have shared them to anyone outside family and friends.

More on the way asap.

Firsta Class elvis. excellent.

in this photo, what is the tall Paratrooper figure in the background? may we see this?

I really rate your models, but just one constructive criticism which echoes something already hinted at...and meant in good faith. It's what I call "magnetic pack syndrome". I used to build 1:35 armour back in the 70s/80s...their hey-day! Back then, the one we all tried to emulate was the Belgian maestro himself, Francois Verlinden, who, via his techniques, elevated armor modelling to a new level. One thing he did (in error) and which we all proceeded to copy, thus perpetuating the error, was to festoon his vehicles with packs and bedrolls etc. It looked great....but logically it was impossible. Packs were attached to turret walls and hulls with no visible means of support. I made a point of studying many wartime pics of armour in the field. Plenty of exterior stores etc., for sure, but securely lashed down (where it would not interfere with the turret traverse or engine ventilation etc) and all packs were fastened / hung by their straps from convenient projections. They just don't adhere to the sides of the turret! I used to make straps from strips of masking tape so I could actually hang the packs from the same projections I'd observed in the photographs. It gave the models a more authentic appearance.

post-34986-0-43314400-1362194543.jpg

This is book Ian was talking about, a large Format soft cover booklet if you will, It was sold by I would imagine evey hobby store in America, Canada, Europe, it was a seminal piece of work, not really seen before, collections of one man, this was quite a bit before Verlinden stated his How Too series's of works, they would follow shortly. The only other model maker that had books out at that time was Sheperd "Shep" Paine, and of course the few very good Military Moderlers Magazines of the 70s and 80s This one here by Verlinden came out I believe in 1982 and showcased all Tamiya kits, with a little bit of Italeri stuff throw in, mostly accesories. I still got this Verlinden book, I just picked it up right now, it's worse for wear and has long since lost it's cover, damn I got it around 30 years to the date, in March 1983, both the Verlinden, which I had to buy, and Tamiya's 1983 catolog, which was on the house :D The Verlinden book by the way was sold by Tamiya, it is IN their 83 catolog.

Firsta Class elvis. excellent.

in this photo, what is the tall Paratrooper figure in the background? may we see this?

Hi, yes i will provide pictures of it. It is a small statue of a Canadian Paratrooper circa late 80's early 90's. I was a Paratrooper in 3 Commando of the Canadian Airborne Regiment back then for 4 yrs.

@ Patches:That's a real memory-jerker Kevin! I've long since parted company with my copy, but back in the day spent hours poring over it...and the others which followed! Actually, the first time I encountered Verlinden was in a late 70s early 80sTamiya catalog. They used photos of his dioramas featuring their models in the centre-spread. Of course...he was "the new kid on the block" then and no-one knew really knew who he was. The rest, as they say, is history!

This is book Ian was talking about, a large Format soft cover booklet if you will, It was sold by I would imagine evey hobby store in America, Canada, Europe, it was a seminal piece of work, not really seen before, collections of one man, this was quite a bit before Verlinden stated his How Too series's of works, they would follow shortly. The only other model maker that had books out at that time was Sheperd "Shep" Paine, and of course the few very good Military Moderlers Magazines of the 70s and 80s This one here by Verlinden came out I believe in 1982 and showcased all Tamiya kits, with a little bit of Italeri stuff throw in, mostly accesories. I still got this Verlinden book, I just picked it up right now, it's worse for wear and has long since lost it's cover, damn I got it around 30 years to the date, in March 1983, both the Verlinden, which I had to buy, and Tamiya's 1983 catolog, which was on the house :D The Verlinden book by the way was sold by Tamiya, it is IN their 83 catolog.

Wouhaou ... the time-machine works fine today B) ... this book, and some others from Verlinden, made me understand that I should better stop modeling, as my skills were rather low level and then I started collecting :wacko:

patches thanks for sharing the image of the Tamiya book. This brings back many memories. Here are pictures of the jumper with full equipment, i cannot take credit for this as i did not sculpt it.00213.jpg00313.jpg00413.jpg00510.jpg