Army visor cap - WW2?

Flip74

Hi everybody,

I got this visor cap and I assume that this is WW2 era. Can you confirm that?

Thanks for your opinion!

Best regards

Philipp

post-99027-0-39996700-1360762865.jpg

post-99027-0-93592100-1360762880.jpg

Looks not unlike a private purchase EMs hat with an added officers' device. In WW2 an officers' cover would typically be dark OD elastique or felt with an darker OD band.

It looks like the immediate post-war material that matches the Ike jacket. As Sabre said, it could be an EM cap with an officer's device on it. Either way, I wouldn't regard it as a WWII cap.

Look for tags inside - sometimes they are hard to find. I bet you find a mid/late 40s date.

I'm with Kurt on this one. I have a cap nearly identicle to the one shown.

my cap came with a pre war signal corp. officers group.

Nice cap by the way

CB

I just checked the Tonnelli book on US visor hats, Similar examples are pictured in there, circa 1930, so "pre-war" would be about right.

Another thing. The pre war officer caps are not nearly as "stylish" looking as the WW2 and later caps. They tend to look like they just have a pancake sitting up there.

It is an officer's cap, as it has the mohair band that EM caps do not have. I would say it is pre-WW2 - mainly due to the color and type of wool.

IIRC, somewhere in the late 40s the EM caps also had a mohair band.

I can't really see the fabric all that well, and it may be my screen. I'd agree it could be an inter-war cap. A better shot of the fabric would help. Also, a shot of the stiffener and grommet.

I agree.The thickness of the brim and the color of the material says pre-War to me.As mentioned the style of the cap is in the pre-war form as well.There are pictures of Billy Mitchell wearing a similiar cap

It is an officer's cap, as it has the mohair band that EM caps do not have. I would say it is pre-WW2 - mainly due to the color and type of wool.

While I agree this looks to be a pre-WW2 officer's cap, EM caps after 1947 did have the officer style cap band. Also, the leather was coated and had a shine to it on the post-war caps that this leather does not have. Enlisted visor caps, Left top; Pre-WW2 (1940) and bottom is WW2 (1944), Right top; Korea (1951) and bottom is Vietnam (1968).

post-32676-0-11160300-1360786555.jpg

The originally posted cap has all the characteristics of a pre WW2 cap. An enlisted cap of this era would not have a mohair band. Yes, a post WW2 EM cap could have a mohair band, but this one isn't post WW2.

Would looking at the type of side buttons help, there were two types yes? one would be the type with the prongs, and the other would be the type with the eyelet and cotter key, like a normal shoulder loop and pocket button, the prong type, this would be the early type, while the one with the eyelet and cotter key would be one from WWII-post WWII, is that correct?

Hi all,

I'm happy about this active discussion. Thanks to all for your replies and participation. Below you'll see some more details.

Hope this helps.

Philipp

post-99027-0-82215400-1361394440.jpg

post-99027-0-22834300-1361394462.jpg

post-99027-0-75612500-1361394482.jpg