Marines in inaugural parade had bolts removed from their rifles

1SG_1st_Cav

I wanted to weigh in on this...it's not a slight, or in anyway a reflection on the military. I was part of the US multi-service contingent Honor Guard for the 50th anniv. of the D-Day landings in 1994. We (the US, as well as the other countries represented there) were going to parade in front of all the heads of state. When we got to our marshaling point, we were told to remove the bolts from our M16s, which were then inspected. It doesn't have one damn thing to do with politics....it's a matter of not adding to the risk that security services have to deal with. Believe it or not, it's not always some secret squirrel conspiracy!

Mark sends

I wanted to weigh in on this...it's not a slight, or in anyway a reflection on the military. I was part of the US multi-service contingent Honor Guard for the 50th anniv. of the D-Day landings in 1994. We (the US, as well as the other countries represented there) were going to parade in front of all the heads of state. When we got to our marshaling point, we were told to remove the bolts from our M16s, which were then inspected. It doesn't have one damn thing to do with politics....it's a matter of not adding to the risk that security services have to deal with. Believe it or not, it's not always some secret squirrel conspiracy!

Mark sends

That is your opinion only and I still respectfully disagree. Nobody said anything about conspiracies. :huh::P

Chris sends

• 2 weeks later...
VolunteerArmoury

Bolts removed from ceremonial weapons is not uncommon. I have carried M1903s that only had the bolts in them when we knew we'd do "inspection arms" but besides that carried them without the bolts. As far as we knew it was to reduce weight which was very little weight. I used to stash my M16 bolt in my wall locker when I was a younger soldier when doing ceremonies. Another consideration, only speculation, perhaps those bolts were put to better use on M14s returned to service in the Stan.

Do any of you guys remember when our beloved fearless leader attended the graduation of the Navy Academy a few years ago. For the first time in the history of the US Navy the officers were forbidden to wear their swords at the graduation. Makes one so proud doesn't it?

Do any of you guys remember when our beloved fearless leader attended the graduation of the Navy Academy a few years ago. For the first time in the history of the US Navy the officers were forbidden to wear their swords at the graduation. Makes one so proud doesn't it?

Was that the one where they were falling asleep, or was that at West Point?