117 replies to this topic

#101 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks to our globetrotting correspondent History Man for documenting the show. I might have a photo or two to share later on.

One note on mine.... it was my display of FAKE and Reproduction patches from the Vietnam War.

I discovered that no matter how well you label things, people walk past displays way too fast. Initially I had a number of comments complimenting me on my collection of authentic Vietnam patches....Bob found me working my label gun as fast as I could cranking out labels saying "REPRODUCTIONS". I am still not sure everyone got the message.

Honestly, with all of the wheeling and dealing I would have to say even with being there for 2 1/2 days I still could not see everything. If you like US insignia and shows with only minimal foreign material, then put the next ASMIC show on your calendar!

#102 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 30,015 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thanks to our globetrotting correspondent History Man for documenting the show. I might have a photo or two to share later on.

One note on mine.... it was my display of FAKE and Reproduction patches from the Vietnam War.

I discovered that no matter how well you label things, people walk past displays way too fast. Initially I had a number of comments complimenting me on my collection of authentic Vietnam patches....Bob found me working my label gun as fast as I could cranking out labels saying "REPRODUCTIONS". I am still not sure everyone got the message.

Honestly, with all of the wheeling and dealing I would have to say even with being there for 2 1/2 days I still could not see everything. If you like US insignia and shows with only minimal foreign material, then put the next ASMIC show on your calendar!

Gil had a great display.Very well layed out amd a visual refferance that was well worth the time to look at more than once.

I agree with him it was hard to get to tak it all in.I know I wasnt able to see all of it and with so many patch dealers and insignias there I know things were found each day.There were literally mountains of books and rikers to go through and it was over whelming.

#103 irish

irish
  • Members
    • Member ID: 758
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

I most likely walked the show 6 times and was still seeing things for the first time on my last go around.  Picked up some great para wings and related items "foreign" for my collection.  The comment about brisk sales between dealers on set up day is correct, but that is the case at most large shows. I likely did 50% of my sales on Thursday afternoon.  At shows like this you have to stay focused because there are so many great items to purchase it is easy to get sidetracked, and I did get sidetracked.  The exhibit hall was large and spacious, nice for wandering, looking and shooting the breeze with fellow collectors.  

#104 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

This year, I did not take a lot of photos.  I started to, but got caught up in a series of discussions and deals and never got back to it.  Here's a few I did come home with...

Jim McDuff, the current ASMIC President, and who took the lead on this show has the largest collection of Vietnam era Army Engineer Corps insignia I have ever seen.  This is a very small sample from it...

Attached Images

• ASMIC3.jpg
  • ASMIC4.jpg
  • ASMIC5.jpg
  • ASMIC6.jpg

#105 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

A small sample from the Market Garden display, with quite a bit of battlefield archeology.  Most of us collect whole and complete items... I can't imagine what a puzzle it is to find and clean these items and then try to figure out what they are.  I remember seeing glider parts, as well as parts from a crashed P-51 that took the life of its pilot.

Attached Images

• ASMIC1.jpg
  • ASMIC8.jpg
  • ASMIC9.jpg

#106 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

A nice display topper for a chevron collection...

Attached Images

• Asmic10.jpg

#107 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Not to beat my own drum, but a couple shots of my display on fakes and reproductions from the Vietnam period.

Ironically, sitting right across from me was a vendor with tubs full of self identified reproductions.  In the opposite direction was 10 tables full of real Vietnam material.  Go figure! LOL!

Attached Images

• ASMIC7a.jpg
  • ASMIC7.jpg

#108 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Even if you didn't buy anything (and yes, I realize I am addressing collectors) you could walk the hall and see the rare and unusual.

The patches appear to have come off of a tour jacket.  What surprised me was that they were apparently for a soldier from a Hike Hercules unit in Korea... I don't believe there were very many of those.

Attached Images

• ASMIC2.jpg

#109 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 15,747 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

Bones,

I think your display was possessed... I shot dead on and only got this shakey image... but it give an idea of the level of quality of the uniforms in your collection.

Attached Images

• ASMIC11.jpg

#110 36-tex

36-tex
  • Members
    • Member ID: 98
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

I attended the show and found it to be all that I expected.  The opportunity to put names and faces together was one of my main goals this year.  There were rare and seldom seen insignia all over the place.  I was able to sell several items and bring home many pieces for my collection as well as for resale.

The officers and members of ASMIC have worked hard to improve this organization.  The current officers are committed to bringing ASMIC to the fore-front of the military collecting community.  If you are a collector of U.S. militaria and are not a member of ASMIC, you are missing out.  In my opinion, ASMIC and this forum are requirements to getting the most out of the hobby.  With ASMIC working to place back issues of the Trading Post on-line and offering a variety of membership options, they are showing their growth as the leaders in U.S. militaria information. 

I was a member for several years until I attended a national convention in Denver.  That show bummed me out from the numerous reproduction items being sold but not labeled as reproduction.  I let my membership go after that.  Fast forward several years and re-joined when I saw what improvements were made and what more ASMIC had to offer me as a collector.  This years show confirmed my reasons for rejoining.

#111 moped1967

moped1967
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 5,559
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

I don't post often on this forum, but I do lurk QUITE often. I showed up late morning Saturday and was really impressed, went in with the intention of taking loads of pictures and only ended up taking 3-4 because of how much there was to see. Displays were fantastic and I deff had a HUGE soft spot for the WWI 89th Display. Made me REALLY regret selling off my own 89th collection several years ago. The 11th Airborne jump jacket display was also killer! There was TONS of really good deals for everyone and me and my buddy that came with had a blast.

Also, a HUGE thanks to Bob for looking over my buddies Nam patches and berets and Id'ing his RT Adder patch and solving my almost 20 year mystery dog handler patch. Thats been a HUGH thorn in my side since I picked it up in 93. 

The only thing that could have made this show better, was having more cash in my wallet!

#112 ASMIC2971

ASMIC2971
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,665
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

I was to tired last night when I got home to post so here it goes.  This was my first ASMIC convention and I was amazed by the quality as well as quantity of insignia.  I wish I had made a show before this!  I picked up some great items as well as numerous subdued for my collection.  For a rag picker it was heaven; so many bins of patches to dig through it was amazing.  Even better than the insignia I picked up was putting names with faces, both of ASMIC members as well as forum members.  While I was deployed I did alot of business with many of you, it was great to put a face to your name as well as shoot the breeze in addition to buying or trading.

I wish to thank the officers of ASMIC for making this one of the best days of collecting I have had since I began about 15 years ago.  THank you to all the foum members I met for the first time.  Cant wait until San Diego next year!  I will post my finds in the SSI section once I get organized.

#113 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack
  • Members
    • Member ID: 247
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

The best day of the show for me was the pre-show Wednesday by George Petersen to my home.  In spite of the size of my collection, I doubt there is much George hasn't already seen.  I wanted to divest myself of what remains of my Third Reich collection, and fill a few holes in my WWII quest.  We sat from 1300  to almost 2300 trading two $500 cats for a $1,000 dog, and both of us were very pleased.  Among other things, I manged to pick up a complete parachute, parachute harness, mountain jacket and pants, mint M-43 field jacket and trousers for the 13th Abn, mint aircraft chest armor, AAF General's short overcoat and a host of other items.  Being able to meet members of the Forum the following days was a real pleasure.  Jack Angolia

#114 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 14,460 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I also got some great items, and finally got to put some faces with names.

There were some incredible pieces at this show and it was great to see George Petersen with a huge set-up. I was also very thankful that Jack didn't get everything from him in their trades, as I was able to buy a OSS experimental uniform from George for my own collection.

The display's this year were probably some of the best I have seen at ASMIC in years. Now, on to San Diego for next year.

#115 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 30,015 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

I also got some great items, and finally got to put some faces with names.

There were some incredible pieces at this show and it was great to see George Petersen with a huge set-up. I was also very thankful that Jack didn't get everything from him in their trades, as I was able to buy a OSS experimental uniform from George for my own collection.

The display's this year were probably some of the best I have seen at ASMIC in years. Now, on to San Diego for next year.

Bob

Ya better post some pics of all that gravy you scooped up in KC...love to see the OSS suit

#116 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 14,460 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Ron, it is going to take a few days to get everything unpacked and sorted, plus to wait for the boxes I shipped home. But I will post some pics. The uniform is incredible plus there are copies out of the QM manual on test uniforms showing it from 1944. I also bought about 200 patches, that will eventually make it up on the website.

Good seeing you, even though we didn't get to talk much. But, did see you white knuckling your knife you bought, while you were walking around.

Oh yeah, and I got to buy that cool fan Tarbridge posted on the forum last week. Now to just find a place to hang it.

#117 blackhawkdown

blackhawkdown
  • Members
    • Member ID: 166,668
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Wow, wish I could have planned to attend. I would have loved to see the ww1 89th display. Are there any more photos of the display? Is it too much to ask who had the 89 th display?
I am always looking for 89th 354th items. Especially company D.

Dan h

#118 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 30,015 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Wow, wish I could have planned to attend. I would have loved to see the ww1 89th display. Are there any more photos of the display? Is it too much to ask who had the 89 th display?
I am always looking for 89th 354th items. Especially company D.

Dan h

Hes a forum member but stays in the shadows :D  B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)