WW2 Major General James H. Phillips

skipranney

hi i found this great ww1-ww2 uniform named to a LT.General james h phillips there is some info online but there has to be more out on him please help hope you like the unform thank you. post-104933-0-02217400-1360599977.jpgpost-104933-0-31734100-1360599989.jpg

Whoa! GORGEOUS rack of ribbons on that uniform! Does he have a Military District of Washington patch on the left shoulder?

Dave

I agree...a great rack...but I'm not very impressed by the way they're stitched in place...especially on a 3-Star's Class A's! :o

thanks dave and no the only patch on there is a ww2 3rd army

i really would like to learn more about how he reseaved the foreign military medalsthe duch bronze loin was only givin out an app. 1200 tims it is the 17 th one in his "nice rack'

Hello all that see this

I have been trying to doing more reserch on ltg phillips i have found on (military times hall of valor) his DCS, 2 DSM and 2 LOM

( online archive of california ) he was a major general and chief of staff III corps, 1943-46.

no pic yet

my ? is duse any one have a pic of this guy and or othere info on him than one small line

were did he get the 3rd star i can only find him as a major gen.

would he also get the chief of staff id badge too?

Thanks-Skip :)

Contact the Army Center of Military History at -- ask for a copy of his service bio.

Good luck. Looks like this uniform is post Korea. I agree, not a neat sewing job on the ribbon set, but these were often removed for drycleaning and I suspect someone did not do a good job of resweing.

G

thank you i will look that up and post my finds when i get them

about the ribbon rack i wish it had the snaps and not that bad sewing but it is my first generals uniform lol is there a place that still duse that kind of work for me i would not dare to try that job on my own

Did you by chance look to see if there ae labels naming Phillips as the owner? My concern is that perhaps it is only his ribbon bar on a no-name coat. How are the stars marked?

BTW -- Phillips apparently did not make GO during WW2.

G

to G

i looked at the labels and no there is no name the date on the tag was 8-march-1958 and 11-may 1958 the stars are mared s21 or s2I i look at all 6 and all the same marking

if you go to military times hall of valor and look up james holden phillips i think he became a general in 50s he got his dsc on 3/7/1945 as col. 1st dsm in 1945 as a col. 2nd dsm in 58 as a maj. gen. and lom as col. in ww2 and 1947

i hope its his uniform lol

I suspect it is alright then -- not all are named, but I agree that I am not really thrilled the way the ribbons are sewn on. Would I have bought it? Yup -- no doubt about it. Do get that service bio -- it'll tell a lot. Write NARA's StillPicture Branch near DC for a portrait photo. -- Expensive, but worth it.

G

hi here are the names of all his medals so of the are (MOH) from that country

1. Distingusihed Service Cross; 2. Army Distinguished Service Medal (2); 3. Silver Star; 4. Legion of Merit(2); 5. Bronze Star with V; 6. Army Commendation Medal (2); 7. WW1 Victory Medal; 8. Occupation of Germany Medal; 9. American Defense Service Medal; 10. American Campaign Medal; 11. European-Middle East-African Campaign Medal (4 Battlestars); 12. WW2 Victory Medal; 13. Army of Occupation Medal; 14. National Defense Service Medal; 15. French Legion of Honor Chevalier (the Palm is incorrect); 16. French WW2 Croix de Guerre avec Palm; 17. Dutch Bronze Lion; 18. Belgian Order of Leopold Officer with Palm (Civil shown as there are no corssed swords); 19. Belgian WW2 Croix de Guerre avec Palm; 20. Greek Order of the Phoenix Officer; 21. Greek Order of the Redeemer Commander.

hope this helps do you have ribbon groups with the same medals thanks

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I was quite surprised to see this listing on the forum as MG James H Phillips was my grandfather. As was stated, he retired a MG, so the Lt. Gen Uniform is not his though the medals certainly are. Here is a link to a service photo of him taken in 1956. For those interested in WWII history, Grand Dad was a figure in the capture of the Ludendorf Bridge at Remagen. Excerpted from: http://www.allworldwars.com/The%20Remagen%20Bridgehead%20March%201945.html

"Upon finding the bridge at REMAGEN intact, Lieutenant Colonel Leonard Engeman, com­manding the north column of Combat Com­mand B, seized the bridge.

First news of the seizure of the bridge ar­rived at the III Corps command post at ap­proximately 1700 when Colonel James H. Phillips, Chief of Staff, received a telephone call from Colonel Harry Johnson, Chief of Staff, 9th Armored Division. Colonel Phillips was informed that the bridge was taken intact, and was asked for instructions. At this time, the corps commander was at the command post of the 78th Infantry Division, and al­though First US Army had given no instruc­tions regarding the capture of the bridge, Colonel Phillips gave instructions for the 9th Armored Division (less CCA) to exploit the bridgehead as far as possible, but to hold SINZIG. Colonel Phillips then relayed the information to Major General Milliken, who confirmed these instructions and immediately made plans to motorize the 47th Infantry Regiment (9th Infantry Division) and dispatch it to REMAGEN. The 311th Infantry Regi­ment of the 78th Infantry Division was alerted for movement to the bridgehead."

It is Phillips family lore that when Gen. Patton was presenting medals and citations some time later, with grand dad was distributing the medals, after all the recipients had been recognized, there was one Distinguished Service Cross remaining. Patton surprised Grand dad by announcing that the DSC was for him for having the "b*lls" to give the order to hold Sinzig and the bridge. Needless to say, we are all quite proud of Grand Dad and his career, and on this veteran's day, I'd also like to recognize my father, Col. James H. Phillips, Jr. (ret.) and my uncle, the late Col. C. D. Phillips (ret.) for their service.

Mark Phillips

N. Bethesda, MD

• 3 weeks later...

It took almost a year to find a pic of the general but with the help of a member witch also my be his grandson I hound one thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

A friend of mine translated the 1971 west point register of graduates I hope I don't mess this up too bad have the paper and can you write down the actual things but this seems easier

Graduate # 6355

Born: Colorado 14 August 1898. Commissioned with class in cavalry. G3 (operations) Section, army ground forces 1942-1943 chief of staff, 3 corps African - European theatre's 1943-1946(Awards for ww2 DCS, DSM, SS,2LM, BSM, 2CR) chief of staff joint United States military assistance group Greece 1949 - 1951 office of the G2 (Intelligence) of the army(Washington DC) 1951-1953 G2 (Intelligence) chief, us army Europe 1953-1956 promoted to Major General 1950chief advisor of the army to the Secretary of the army (Washington DC) 1956-1958 kawarded Distinguished Service Medal retired disabled as major general 1958

chairman of the board of First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Monterey county

he also has the symbol for West Point the helmet of Pallas Athena West point. Logo represents that the Graduate has donated at least $100,000 over his lifetime

I notice that there is no CIB in the photo of the general. I suspect this too was added to enhance the sale. If this guys was a staff officer in WW2, it is unlikely he earned it, and I do not see it listed among his decorations.

G

The CIB I can not find any information on or the Presidential Unit Citation with oak leaf cluster

That stuff must of came with the 3rd star someone added

• 3 weeks later...

Have a quick question the distinguished sharpshooter badge the in the the pic of mg Phillips

Is that the rifle or pistol

Military or civilian

Trying to restore it to what the uniform should be and I do not want to buy the wrong one seeing that they are around 100$

• 2 weeks later...

James H. Phillips did not receive the Bronze Lion of my country. He is not in the listing. Perhaps it is a Luxemburg War Cross WW2 (Croix de Guerre Luxembourg).

Regards

Herman

That is not theLuxemburg War Cross WW2 (Croix de Guerre Luxembourg). It is difficult to find out for sure but there are not too many ribbons that look like the bronze loin with the blue on the ends

Do you have a list of the people the were awarded the Medal

I have to head to California. To get his bio its about 2000 miles away from me lol