Early 10th Special Forces Group Green Beret & Trojan Horse Crest

warpath

Very cool.Do you know if the pin is marked?The old ones were sterling, I think?

It should be marked 800. The original examples that I have observed use the German numerical marking method which indicates the silver content.

Members of the 10th SFG in front of Flint Kaserne (Bad Tölz/Germany) which was formerly the "SS-Junkerschule"

(10th SFG Yearbook 1956)

post-4070-0-42059300-1360598893.jpg

For what it is worth Veritas - The Journal of Army Special Operations History, Volume 5, Number 4, 2009 contains an excellent and well researched article regarding all facets of the rare Trojan Horse Badge. Well worth adding to your reference library. My thoughts only .....

My regrets that I passed on one of these badges years ago. I also heard that for years later jewelers in Bad Tolz were still making them... another missed opportunity as I was there in 1983 or so. The place is way off the road and in the middle of nowhere.

early picture of 10th SFG members and their German made berets

Great picture.I like the use of the Airborne Command on the soldier in the middle and the different headgear.

Majors Herb Brucker and Roger Pezzelle were responsible for the Green Beret being adopted early on...Herb wore his original beret to the last SF convention he attended and some bastard stole it...I would consider his beret to be the most significant since it was one of the first two (saw it back in the 1970s). Ed

Majors Herb Brucker and Roger Pezzelle were responsible for the Green Beret being adopted early on...Herb wore his original beret to the last SF convention he attended and some bastard stole it...I would consider his beret to be the most significant since it was one of the first two (saw it back in the 1970s). Ed

Some people have no respect.

FrontGate_zps9d423ce7.jpgGasthaus_zps346b8925.jpg

An exceptional example in the beret or badge, congratulations.

I hope Mike Force, or anyone, won't mind my posting two recent pictures of Flint Kaserne taken only last year. You can see the tower in the right of his picture and in the gasthaus we found a large picture downstairs in it taken of the Kaserne in the early 60's I believe.

Best to all, M.

• 5 months later...
Kaigun Shosa

Hi All!

I have a couple of questions regarding berets from the 10th SFG:

1. What is the current going rate for a 10th SFG beret with badge?
  2. Is there more than one manufacturer/style/material in the construction of the beret?
  3. Anything special I should look out for in the beret badge?

I have an opportunity to purchase one but wanted to get the forums advice before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have 10th SF Group beret with badge that they are looking to sell? I am interesting in purchasing or trading for one. Thanks, James

TrenchfootJoe66

Hi All!

I have a couple of questions regarding berets from the 10th SFG:

1. What is the current going rate for a 10th SFG beret with badge?
  2. Is there more than one manufacturer/style/material in the construction of the beret?
  3. Anything special I should look out for in the beret badge?

I have an opportunity to purchase one but wanted to get the forums advice before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

Refer to the article mentioned by Kriegsmodell, excellent resource. Also be very very very very careful. Early 10th Grp Berets are friggin rare. Most of them that your gonna come across are bogus. Pretty simple to stick a Trojan Horse badge ( lots of copies floating around) on a German or maybe a Canadian beret, and PRESTO !!

I find it interesting when looking at early pictures of Special Forces Soldiers and how they wore the green beret. They wore it in a totally different manner than it is worn today. Any Soldier wearing one in that way today would be stopped by any NCO within view. Funny how things evolve over time. Great beret, thanks for posting it.

I have an original German made beret with Trojan horse badge (no flash), given to me by my team sergeant, who was in the 10th in the early days If I remember correctly the badge was made in England.

I've never seen the TH badge worn on a flash before.

TrenchfootJoe66

I have an original German made beret with Trojan horse badge (no flash), given to me by my team sergeant, who was in the 10th in the early days If I remember correctly the badge was made in England.

I've never seen the TH badge worn on a flash before.

Me either, kinda odd as one replaced the other.