Awesome 29th Infantry division 5 foot map

usncollector

usncollector

Hello,

I have had this thing for awhile now, and I acquired it about 2 years ago when I was 16 years old. I frequent local auctions and found this under the paper lining of an old wardrobe. The old lady who was selling the house and its contents told me I could have it for free. I also got to look in the attic and found an enlisted hat, but the bill had come loose (it's now in my basement waiting to be resown). The soldiers name was Pfc. Fred Leone (serial no. 33764433). On the little papers I acquired with the map, he lists his info as Co. E 175th Inf. reg. APO29. Was he in the 29th Infantry division? I wish the NARA listed details like that...

Anyways, I got the map framed behind UV proof glass, with an acid free matte. It took a long time to scrape up that kind of money from the meager allowance I get :P

I would appreciate any further information you could give me on the map. There is a number series on the lower right hand corner of the map, which measures around 5 feet long by 2 feet tall (and came in two separate pieces, as it was issued like that). The lower right hand corner displays the awesome insignia of the 29th, and lists details like how many rounds the division used and their awards. The map details every move the 29th went during WWII, from training in the states, to transferral to England, to D-Day and Normandy, the conquest of France, and up to fighting the Germans up to the Rhine River. The date title lists the action up to Jan. 1, 1945.

Unfortunately, there was no uniform/helmet to be found. I had no idea what the map actually was until I started reading posts on here. I hope you guys enjoy this map as much as I do!!

post-2406-1204931388.jpg

Manchu Warrior

Actually the 175th Infantry was in the 29th ID until about two years ago when they designated the 175th to a battle group, what ever that means. Now, the 175th is serving in Iraq and is due home in April.

I've seen smaller versions- but what you can do is contact Joe Balkoski at the Baltimore Maryland 5th Regt armory where he is the historian, and essentially the official historian of the 29th.

And if it is too big for you, I know they would love ot have it on display in the museum

usncollector
I've seen smaller versions- but what you can do is contact Joe Balkoski at the Baltimore Maryland 5th Regt armory where he is the historian, and essentially the official historian of the 29th.

And if it is too big for you, I know they would love ot have it on display in the museum

Do you have his email or contact info??

Manchu Warrior
Do you have his email or contact info??

These are numbers to the museum at the 5th Regiment Armory in Baltimore 410-576-1496 or 410-576-6160 .

/www.baltimoremuseums.org/mcmh.html