US Marine Patch Worn by SVN Marine

MFT3

Hi Mike ,

I can't quite make it out . Does it say 1st or 2nd Recon Bn on the top arc portion of the patch ? The lower portion of the patch has elements of both the 1st and 2nd period patches. I have not seen one for either in that shape before. Obviously they existed as you have the proof here. Also , to me appears to be one patch to the sleeve ? I porbaly won't be able to help , but great patch.

Regards, Mitch

DSCN2651.JPG

Not the best scan but you get the idea.The only difference is the wording around the edges.The scan of the picture you can see 'RD' on the scroll.

Thats better,I think firefighter is right . I'd say 3rd Recon Bn. now I see it does not have the combination I thought I saw but it does look more like the 3rd .The 1st had the diamond shape with scroll to the lower edge. The 2nd was shaped like an arrowhead with the skull with the 2nd recon in the patch , while the third had this shape with the scroll to the top. I don't have an example of that patch to show but others may have. It may be a slight variant but looks like a 3rd Recon. Bn.

Regards, Mitch

Sorry I was writing this as you guys posted. You are way faster than me.

Mike ,

At the sos 2 years ago do you remember the big early war advisor grouping right up front?

It was near you ......

the French 47-52 had this patch on the left sleeve .....

worn by an US Marine .

owen

Here is a VN made example. Note that the patch in your photo, not only appears to possibly be hand made, but also says Swift Silent and Deadly. This patch and firefighters are written in Latin (I assume)

post-2063-0-13415800-1360110338.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver

Where did you find this photo?

I am always hesitant with photos with this subject due to some "reenactment" groups in the US and Europe. That do extensive photo shoots and edit their photos.

The age to the photo is a little strange looking to me and it seems like I have seen this pic before. Plus the pose and lack of anything in the upper background.

Maybe it's just me, IDK.

I got the photograph from George Petersen who obtained it on one of his many trips to Vietnam many years ago. Here is the original image before I modified it. I am sure it is a period photograph.

post-16479-0-27879400-1360116107.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver

I got the photograph from George Petersen who obtained it on one of his many trips to Vietnam many years ago. Here is the original image before I modified it. I am sure it is a period photograph.

okay, it looks alot different as the original photo. The editing you did to correct the colors is what got me.

Where did you find this photo?

I am always hesitant with photos with this subject due to some "reenactment" groups in the US and Europe. That do extensive photo shoots and edit their photos.

The age to the photo is a little strange looking to me and it seems like I have seen this pic before. Plus the pose and lack of anything in the upper background.

Maybe it's just me, IDK.

To add to this, the sunglasses appear to be very modern frames and lenses. If you take a sampling of photos of the period, sunglasses generally look more sturdy with smaller lenses that are not free floating. They seem to be surrounded by heavy rims. Just a thought...

IH

Corpsmancollector

Mike ,

At the sos 2 years ago do you remember the big early war advisor grouping right up front?

It was near you ......

the French 47-52 had this patch on the left sleeve .....

worn by an US Marine .

owen

O,

I think this was a part of the Rogers grouping you're referring to? I remember seeing the pictures from SOS, looked killer! Please note the picture below is not mine, nor do I own the items and they were previously for sale at Indochina Militaria. Hope people don't mind. I added the picture as I think it will contribute to the discussion (Mods, if inappropriate, please remove). Looks like the patch reads '3rd Recon BN' across the top.

Will

post-5339-0-51425300-1360162450.jpg

The whole grouping was bought between 3 dealers and split up.

The patch on the French camouflage jacket was added later by the vet on a used jacket using a different thread.

To bad the grouping was split it was only 10 grand

vintageproductions

The patch the VNMC wearing is Japanese made. They were the only ones who made this style of 3rd Recon. In fact they are the only ones you ever see used in Recon groupings.

From my book......the only one that i've ever seen, and indirectly from a vet. Of course Japanese made and off the uniform!

P100.jpg

The same design was made and sold in RVN (Da Nang and Hue), but without the top title. It came in both sewing-machine embroidered (as shown) and hand-stitched versions. A shop in Hue had one displayed that was big -- probably 10" across -- intended for use on a "Tour" jacket (which the shop sold).

CELER means SWIFT, as in Swift, Silent, Deadly the generic Marine Recon slogan of the day.

There were probably ARVN Marines attached to the USMC Recon, serving as interpreters and getting OJT on US op standards.

Non-Recon Marine units around Da Nang were merged with RVN troop units (usually Regional Forces) in the Combined Unit Pacification Program, but they were pretty much static, living and operating in one village or District.

Corpsmancollector

Steve; that is a fantastic patch, thank you for posting! J_Andrews; thanks for the very informative post (as usual!)

Will