57 replies to this topic

#51 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

My hats off to you for the shear numbers of pictures and research that you have published!! ABSOLUTLY FANTISTIC. :)

#52 ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980
  • Members
    • Member ID: 23,325
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I know we all praised the uniforms when you first told us about them, but today I am even more pleased because the cap you show is identical to the one I have in construction and details! Until today I had not seen another like my own. Was told by MGySgt Williams these are depot made examples...again thank you for showing this beautiful group.!

Dirk, glad the post was of help. My hope in partiality was in displaying the set, was to show what an attributed Philippines Insurrection Marine's uniform looked like. There are so few that have survived and posted on the net. The hat was worn so much that any contract or depot information inside was totally obliterated. Buttons are Horstmann as typical. I would like to see a late 19th Century, early 20th c. Marine Officer full dress frock coat (if anyone has one please post) That is something I have never seen save photographs, That's next on my list, :D

Edited by ludwigh1980, 02 February 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#53 ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980
  • Members
    • Member ID: 23,325
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks Jacks son! Is all due to my insomnia. What else does one do at 3:00 am in the morning?

#54 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,224
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Great Group and a very informative post. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
John

#55 AAF_Collection

AAF_Collection
  • Members
    • Member ID: 61,896
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for posting,as the others have said,what a fantastic grouping!. With regard to the moth damage I have a uniform grouping to a West Point cadet with similar moth damage and I'm undecided what to do(or have done) about it.

Matt.

#56 warguy

warguy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 21,606
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thank you for posting this wonderful group. It is tough to find Span Am era/early China USMC Marine clothing. I have two groups myself dating from this time period. If it makes you feel any better, both of my groupings also have their fair share of mothing. I agree with all that has been said, should just display it as is. I can empathize as I have also wanted to make the damage somehow dispappear, but as was already so elequently stated-"it is what it is". Once again, thanks so much for sharing this fantastic and historical group. I have been anxiously awaiting Alec's next reference to determine what the differences are between the 1910 summer tunic and the earlier models we all see in the photos. Your pictures helped clarify that for me. Thanks again-Kevin

#57 usmchistorian

usmchistorian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 139,927
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Wow...what an outstanding grouping! That overcoat is dreamy! Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

#58 flytiger

flytiger
  • Members
    • Member ID: 126,385
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

Super group! Thanks!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users