*** Greatest Generation *** WWII Named Photograph Archive

General Apathy

General Apathy

New topic, hopefully an archive created and carried forward by the forum ........................

The idea of this topic came about due to being contacted by a number of people regarding photographs, topics or items I have added to the forum since I joined in 2007, I won't add all the cases of contact that have occurred just two brief ones.

A grandson had been online looking to see if there was anything posted about his grandfathers service during WWII this threw up a link to a post that I had made on the forum relating to information I had on part of his grandfather's service so I was happy to forward a copy and photograph of his grandfather, his grandfather was still alive and didn't know of the existance of the photograph he featured in.

A second contact was made by another gentleman who again had looked on the internet for any information on his father's service this again led to a post I had made on the forum regarding his father's unit during WWII. In my collection I held a copy of the 654th Engineer Topographic Battalion. Over the years I have traced locations from the unit history and taken comparison photographs of buildings and towns featured in the unit history. I have posted a number of these photographs on the forum topic blog I run in the form of ' Then & now ' photographs of Normandy. Mr Regan joined the forum in order to contact me by private email to ask if I could help him replace missing pages from his father's original copy that was handed down to him but which had suffered badly from use and storage in the seventy years from the end of WWII.

I was quite happy to scan a number of pages missing from the front and rear of his copy, I also provided him with a number of photographs that I had taken in the last ten years matching photos within his book, I was pleased that these would have been buildings, farms, villages that his father would have been familiar with when they were based there. He in return sent me images of personal photographs his father had taken during the war thereby enriching my information and copy of the unit history.

I started to consider that a number of forum members night have examples of WWII photographs with men's names either added to the rear or front of the photograph, I have a few myself I thought it might be an idea to add these photographs to the forum and form an historical archive. Family members searching on line might be led to this archive thereby spreading knowledge of and promoting the forum, what it achieves and possibly lead to fresh membership, if as in the case I wrote of above information might flow both ways.

I hope members will take this opportunity to participate and build a forum archive by adding their named photographs,

why let these men from the ' Greatest Generation ' lay unseen in a box or chest, lets honor them..............

General Apathy

post-344-0-25016700-1359492363_thumb.jpg

Camp Brooklyn ETO. Left to Right , Private Charles Lomke, Sgt Gabriel Leventhal, Private Amerigo Di Bartolomeo all from Brooklyn NY. Signal Corp photo

craig_pickrall

Great idea Ken. Hopefully this will grow like your other thread.

I have a large box full from the PTO that my father took. I will add them when I can get some shots taken.

Lt. Charles Monsell, 479th Fighter Group

Lt. Glen Hill, 479th Fighter Group

Lt. William McKay, 479th Fighter Group

Lt Ed Bickford 365th Fighter Squadron

Lt. Jimmy Elsner

post-22-0-94913800-1400964370.jpg

post-22-0-02443500-1400964373.jpg

post-22-0-07847600-1400964375.jpg

post-22-0-19038700-1400964377.jpg

post-22-0-29447600-1400964380.jpg

Lt. Robert Pigg, 479th FG

Lt. Charles Teague 405th FG

Lt. William Scott 405th FG

Lt. William Crumley 405th FG

Lt. Milford Nelson 405th FG

Lt Roy Johnnis, recce pilot 9th Air Force

post-22-0-57735100-1400964574.jpg

post-22-0-68315200-1400964576.jpg

post-22-0-76935300-1400964578.jpg

post-22-0-20076800-1400964581.jpg

post-22-0-37841800-1400964583.jpg

post-22-0-39072500-1400964586.jpg

General Apathy

Great idea Ken. I'm sure it'll develop into another big thread!! ;)

Hi Ian. look forward to it growing, will enjoy seeing the photos and names.

ken

General Apathy

sadly I don't have any pictures that go with names but waiting to see what everyone else posts

Thanks Robert, I hope there are a lot of us waiting to see whats added.

ken

General Apathy

Great idea Ken! The following are a few that I have on hand.

Hi Erick, thanks for the comment, support and the three photo's you have added so far ......................

ken

General Apathy

Great idea Ken. Hopefully this will grow like your other thread.

I have a large box full from the PTO that my father took. I will add them when I can get some shots taken.

Hi Craig, thanks for your thoughts and look forward to you adding some photo's shortly.

ken

General Apathy

Lt. Alvin S. Brody

AlBrody.jpg

Hi 38driver, thanks for taking this to heart and bombarding us with a number of photographs, kind of you to do so.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-74024000-1359498862_thumb.jpg

Plenty more inbound. In the end it's all about remembering them

Hi 38Driver, pleased to read that you see it that way and shared your images with us, so many photographs are available but sadly un-named and so unknown to history.

Attached above a poignant reminder of that generation a nurse writing to ' Darling Sherwood ' wishing his return and simply signed ' Yours Carolyn ', we have to wonder who were Sherwood & Carolyn and what was their fate.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-42322400-1359499080_thumb.jpg

Attached above a poignant reminder of that generation a nurse writing to ' Darling Sherwood ' wishing his return and simply signed ' Yours Carolyn ', we have to wonder who were Sherwood & Carolyn and what was their fate.

ken

It appears we're stalled. A couple more for the cause.

Lt. Ashley Guynn 447th BG B17 pilot and his wife. He was KIA in April 1944

Captain Richard Fry, 454th BG B24 pilot. He was KIA February 14, 1945. His co-pilot, also killed was Alvin Brody who I posted already.

post-22-0-13315500-1400964745.jpg

post-22-0-92000100-1400964748.jpg

Lt. David Palm, photo recce pilot flying F5 Lightnings with the 30th PRS flying out of England and France 44-45. Survived 61 combat missions and died on a courier flight after VE Day.

post-22-0-06731900-1400964780.jpg