What is so special about this knife?

damcon3

I can't figure out what made this theater knife go for $848.

Am I missing something? Don't know how to link the listing, but here is the item number.

Corpsmancollector

Is the scabbard an M6 or the type used for the Raider stiletto? Or neither? Can't quite tell as my screen is too small at the moment!

It's a nice looking nice whatever the case,

Will

Those knives have been documented by a variety of knife collectors/experts. They were made during World War II, probably in the United States, and had a custom made, M6-style sheath (devoid of maker's marks). I know that a few forum members have them. In fact, I own a New Caledonia knife that came from a USMC officer who served in World War II, and another forum member owns a knife exactly like the own pictured which also belonged to him. The only common denominator is that this USMC officer and the person to whom the eBay-listed knife supposedly belonged were both from New England. (Coincidence? Probably... but worth noting.)

The M6-style sheath is actually unique to this knife. It is not a cut-down/altered M6 nor is it a direct copy of a Raider Stiletto sheath. (The keep is too small and the sheath itself is too short. The knives in question have 5-5 1/2" blade, if memory serves me correctly.) I have spoken to a few collectors/experts as well as handled examples of this knife, but no one can seem to track down the origin of it. Some sellers advertise these knives as "USMC Paratrooper" knives. This is completely wrong as the only issued USMC Parachutist's Knife was made by Western in Boulder, CO.

If anyone has an example of this knife, I would encourage them to post information about it. Maybe a discussion on the forum can give us blade guys a better idea by pooling our resources.

-John

I watched that one. I was hoping all would think it was a theater knife as the seller claimed originally, and that I could get it el cheapo. The seller later posted additional information that referenced Cole and the Price Book value. What got me interested was the write-up in Cole IV that said that the one pictured in the book was "the only one we have seen in the short version of the M6 sheath".

Saw a discussion somewhere (thought it was in this forum) a few months ago that talked about this knife/sheath. I cant find the source now. I seem to remember the discussion talking about it belonging to Medical Corp. The eBay write-up stated the same thing for his copy.

I would be glad to have it, but not at that price.

I was one of the guys who posted thier knives here on the Forum a while back. I have two of them. One has USS Baltimore and a sailors name stamed into the metal plate on the scabbard.

I think the buyer either hopes or knows that they got one of these.

file-17.jpg

I think you're right on the money. Judging by the shape of the blade (at least on the ebay listed one), I'm guessing these were made from half round files.

What is it with this guy on ebay. Did he get a hold of someone's collection or something!? All the rare and amazing things he has listed now and what was listed a few days ago.

• 6 months later...

Thought the members might like to see a variation of this WWII mystery knife that was discussed in the topic above. It came out of Shoemakersville, PA recently and is obviously made by the same shop but has an entirely different shaped blade. This would not have fit in the short M6 sheath that previous examples have been found in. No marking on this knife and the only markings that I have seen on any of these knives is a hand engraved "BCAaa" on the blade. The pommel on this knife is much larger than the original style usually seen. All these knives exhibit the strange blade grind with one side being completely flat but very sharp. Perhaps one day someone can identify who made these neat fighting knives.

post-93122-0-33537700-1377730833.jpg

Thanks for the comments, I wish I could have seen what the sheath for the top knife looked like? Perhaps a big wide short M6?? Anyone have a strange, wider than normal, M6 sheath out there? The blade is just a hair over 1 1/4" wide and is 6" long.

• 6 years later...

There has long been discussion about who made these knives. I recently acquired a book "French Military Knives and Bayonets" by a fellow named Christian Mery. On page 107, he shows one and states" ... it was a local fabrication made by a private firm in Hanoi. This firm was said created by a Chinese store keeper and a retired smith of the French Navy. ..." On page 109, he shows one with the short Barwood lookalike sheath.

Has the mystery been solved?

post-8804-0-63557100-1573772360.jpg

post-8804-0-03632300-1573772379.jpg

post-8804-0-27681600-1573772397.jpg

siclfde- If I'm seeing page 109 above, the sheaths pictured appear to be full size M6 scabbards, or M6 type , even says it on the bottom left. The knives sure look like the ones we see in the short scabbards, but these on page 109 are M3 blade length. Not sure if mystery is solved, but could be getting closer. Thanks for showing. SKIP

Sure looks like a full size M6 and longer bladed knives as noted by Skiph. Pommels look more like the mystery ones but aren't constructed out of brass as the ones in coles are.

Ken

Question I have is that the sheaths have been identified by multiple people as being made by Barwood, which, as best I understand, made them during WW2 (don't know about post-WW2 manufacture). The combination would tend to point to a US origination. The ones shown in the book on French knives look the same but too many differences to make me believe they are the same. Until a photo emerges that shows the short knives in the Barwood surfaces, I don't think we'll be able to put this to rest.

siclfde- If I'm seeing page 109 above, the sheaths pictured appear to be full size M6 scabbards, or M6 type , even says it on the bottom left. The knives sure look like the ones we see in the short scabbards, but these on page 109 are M3 blade length. Not sure if mystery is solved, but could be getting closer. Thanks for showing. SKIP

Yeah - I think you are right Skip (et all) - it is a full length M6 with an M3 length blade approx. I think I got a little ahead of myself seeing the pic on page 109 and with the grip looking just like my short one did the old assumption thing and got in too much of a hurry. On page 108 (not shown) it even gives the blade length as 165 mm which is a little over 6 inches.

You can't see it on the original picture I posted (had to compress it too much to get it to post), but the scabbard on page 109 is actually marked 'USM8/SBL CO./1943", which opens up a whole new can of worms. Obviously not a Barwood and obviously not an M8. Were the French/Vietnamese making M6 type sheaths & putting M8 on them?

I have another M6 lookalike that is very well made, but has the marking BRL on it. Sorry for the pic quality - best I can do with all the required compression.

post-8804-0-59551600-1573840193.jpg