Mothers of Defenders of Liberty collection

KevinBeyer

Hello, All,

I haven't shared anything on the board in a while, so I thought I would post an image of the few Mothers of Defenders of Liberty pins that I have collected over the past several years.

I am curious if anyone has seen any pins from other cities not represented here?

Kevin

MothersOfDefenders_Group_1000.jpg

I have never seen an instance where these pins were named, but there are ones that can be found which are numbered. I have never seen a tally of numbers, so determining how many were issued by each city/state is currently not possible.

Kevin

MothersOfDefenders_Group_reverse1000.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have been slowly gathering images of Mothers of Defenders of Liberty pins. I still am not sure how many cities had them made.

ALBANY, NY

MOD_AlbanyNY_500K.jpg

Kevin

In addition to the ones shown here, I have seen them from Martin's Ferry, OH and Houston, TX. Unfortunately I have neither of them so I can't post their pictures.

Here is an example of the Buffalo, NY Mothers of the Defenders of Liberty badge embellished by the recipient.

post-1496-0-82996400-1456861674.jpg

An interesting and patriotic effect. The flag ribbon is typically used for Grand Army of the Republic, G.A.R., and United Spanish War Veterans, U.S.W.V., membership badges.

I wonder what the inspiration was for making this modification.

Kevin