SEALs in Vietnam M16 mystery picture

BIGGREG

DEAR ALL..

I noticed recently a picture....And i need the help of some experts here....i tried to find a solution..and now i'm lost...

I saw this picture ( another angle ) on the book of Eric Micheletti about the SEALs in Vietnam and i saw noticed it...(pag 3)...

The handguards of the M16 look really like an A2...could it be possible, since that model was only introduced in the '80

I thought also about the Canadian C7...but still introduced in '80....experimental handguards..????? or i am seing things???

please help...

BIG GREG

post-64352-0-30273100-1358951326_thumb.jpg

Well if it was "taped" and i was considering that option too... you would see it in "conical" way... but here... it's not it stays almost the same diameter...(by the way thanks Longhorn for your idea)... :)

Didnt some of the very early AR10s have the round hand guards.I believe in 1957 the Armalite Company revised the AR10 to fire the .223 round opposed to the 308 which it originally fired.I was thinking when Stoner developed this the handguards were round.Very well could be an early seriers rifle.

Also see coral booties and float coats in the pic.

MilitariaKollektor

There was a popular mechanics article in Aug 1967 that featured the M16 and there is a photo of the M16 with the M16A2 style round hand guard being available as early as 1967. Page 70-73 about a third to half way down the link. The article is titled "How good is our New Vietnam Rifle?". I hope this link works

http://books.google.com/books?id=Cyo...ed=0CFkQ6AEwBQ

To me it seems like an optical illusion caused by the angle of the handguard to the camera and the (I am not sure of the proper term) exposure in the photo. It looks like a standard triangular handguard to my eyes. The handguard in question also does not have any ribbing on the outside.

Hey guys, maybe this will help you. This is my picture with my M-16 in August 1967. We got issued these just before our unit deplyed from Ft Bragg in June 1967. At least it will give you something to chuckle about! :lol: Danny

post-1691-0-51213900-1358999677.jpg

Doesnt look like a standard 3 prong flash hider either unless he has a cover over it to keep out water

It appears as though there is a cover on the flash hider. If there were not you would see the end of the rifle open from where the bullet would exit, if that makes sense.

Tim

There were tubular experimental handguards issued in Vietnam. I cannot remember the details, but they were round and had to do with air circulation... They were designed to cool down the barrel.

Well THANK you guys.. you solved a "mistery"...now for the cover on the muzzle that is FOR SURE... for the water... ;-)

Thank you all if you have other pictures please.. post so we have more proofs... :-)

MilitariaKollektor

Annihilator I is correct. It could be from the the angle of the shot.

Here is a shot of triangular handguards that look cylindrical.

xqizcn.jpg

Guys: That's my picture of the skinny guy with no shirt holding the M-16. I never used a cover over the flash-hider on my M-16, and I carried an M-16 in one capacity or another until 1978.

So I'm not sure what you guys are imagining about the M-16 I carried to Vietnam from Ft Bragg in 1967. BTW, in 1968, I was promoted into another combat Artillery unit. I carried an M-14 with a Full-Auto selector switch, along with a .45. In fact. in my 20 years in the Army, I never put a cover over the muzzle on a rifle. Much to do about nothing! Danny

Well.. I understand your point MilitariaKollektor I don't want to be....how can I say.. paranoid but if you look carefully at the picture...the handguard looks like there are some "stripes"...it's not even (like the look of a conical one).... if you understand what i mean...so it's that that made think about a "experimental" handguard... i don't know...

This is whats up with the "muzzle cover". Prepare yourselves because it is really complicated and SEAL specific: 100 mph tape. Aka : OD duct tape. All sarcasm aside, that is not a muzzle cover. Or any standard issue item. it is simply tape over the flash hider. Now, why you may ask. Its simple, to keep dirt out of your barrel. m16s operate just fine if they are wet. and putting a muzzle cover on the end is not water proof. But wrapping you muzzle with a layer of tape keeps out dirt, and you can just shoot it off. And the experimental hand guards were ribbed horizontally along the length, and I believe they were a dark grey or green color.

The operator also has a 30 rd mag in use.

Several items over time have been uses as muzzle covers.

As mentioned tape as well as foil,condoms,plactic bags with tape or rubber bands.In WW2 there were canvas covers.

just my observation.. I think the forend is triangle shaped. I think that is why the shadow is flat on the bottom.. in addition to standard tape, electrical, duct, etc those little black muzzle covers were availble as early as 1976 because that is when I believe I first saw them. So I guess it could have been a muzzle cover but most likely tape if there is a cover on the rifle.

When did the 30 round mag come into use .. late 60's i believe.. standard issue 70? ... just trying to get an idea when the picture may have been taken...

and here are my comments.....

from this angle it really does not look like triangular to me...and i can see the tape only until a certain extend...so i think that this picture is still debatable... :):rolleyes:

post-64352-0-47994700-1359365326.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From the pictures it sure looks like the plastic muzzle cover with the rim on the end. That being said those muzzle covers always reminded me of the plastic covers we used in the AF to cover "cannon plugs" for electrical gear. Could it be that someone noticed that those plugs in the right size would fit over the FS of the M16? At that point it's just a FSN or NSN away from procuring a bag full of those things for field use. I've wondered in the past if that's not the way those muzzle covers came into use in the first place. There's lots of down time aboard a ship to get creative.

• 1 year later...

I've discovered this pic two days ago and I was then very surprise! I can assume with this better quality pic that the handguard is well an A2 one. Probably tested in a very short number in Vietnam...

captur10.jpg

If you can get a copy of the Black Rifle, vol. 1, by Stevens/Ezell, there is a photograph of a rifle like that on page 236. They are calling it a Colt model 616, the CAR 15, "Heavy Assault Rifle M1". C-1966.