Orber Mfg Co, Pawtucket, RI: examples and patterns

I bought this Aerial Gunner's wings since they were sold as being WWII period and not reproductions from the photos attached. After receiving them they look much better than in the photos.

Any idea who the manufacturer is, 3 inch marked sterling. I viewed an example very similiar to these on the us wings USAAF collection pages in brilliant sterling silver. What do you think, the real deal or not? Thanks in advance

Jack

post-11767-1312490388.jpg

post-11767-1312490432.jpg

Jack,

This type of wings has a distinctive pattern. However, the maker of these wings are unknown as far as I know. I'll double check on my wings collection later tonight to see if there's any wings with hallmark that have a similar pattern, I think I still have a couple pairs of these type in my collection if I din't sell them. And if you're still concerned about the authenticity of these wings, these wings are original WW2 period. It's a real deal indeed.

Regards,

Lonny

These are more than likely made from Orber dies. You find wings from Orber with the hallmark (usually in a circle form), with the hallmark partially obscured (as in this example) and IMHO with out the hallmark as in the example above.

Patrick

post-1519-1312568970.jpg

These are more than likely made from Orber dies. You find wings from Orber with the hallmark (usually in a circle form), with the hallmark partially obscured (as in this example) and IMHO with out the hallmark as in the example above.

Patrick

Thank You Patrick; appreciate the information.

Jack

• 1 year later...

Orber is one of the most unique wings make in the WWII era, standing apart from all others in its shorter height and thinner longer, undulating at times, feathering and wing design. This is the only other Orber Liaison I have found outside "Silver Wings" but I am newer and have limited exposure, so they may be more plentiful than I presume. I will point out two factors which need be considered when you look upon these wings for authenticity. There are TINY and VERY THIN whispy horizontal lines of differing length on EACH SHOULDER's outline AND next to the fletching in the pelican beak. Also, in the FIRST smaller layer of feathering below the shoulder on the Sinister (pilot's left), the feathering has a depression which looks like the wing got pressed HARD up against something SOLID and created an indention across the lower portion of the feathering. This is NOT seen on the Dexter side. I thought it damage from the pilot's adventures...NO...this is a commonality across the Orber Liaison wings unless two Liaison pilots had the exact same type of accident with a crush indent in the exact same portion of the two L wings by Orber I have seen. I have arrowed to the lines I spoke of and underscored the indention area.

post-76516-0-63615800-1358534984.jpg

post-76516-0-93254500-1358534996.jpg

post-76516-0-75422900-1358535241.jpg

Oh man, that Engineer is my favorite Non-Theater Made Engineer Wing! I was looking for the artistic style which the Orber artisan(s) employed to come up with such a unique style unorthodox to the typical styles of wings at the time. The use of CURVES is SO pronounced in these wings. I might be way off as I am not an art history man but try to keep a Renaissance attitude to anything I understake to understand with my little mind so that the "guts" of the entire process at least become somewhat elucidated to me and I can grasp it in a deeper sense. Check out this description of Art Nouveau and look at the Orber wings...

the term "whiplash" is frequently applied to the characteristic curves employed by Art Nouveau artists.[27] Such decorative "whiplash" motifs, formed by dynamic, undulating, and flowing lines in a syncopated rhythm, are found throughout the architecture, painting, sculpture, and other forms of Art Nouveau design.

See what I mean? I think the curves are markedly beautiful in the Engineer Wing in how they act as a receeded frame for the stark geometric symmetry of the prop and radial engine...GOOD STUFF! and one of the most unique.

I hope we get some more ORBER Wings posted!

Hey! I have only seen the 3 inchers on those and only one...WOW...what a great wing and it looks like the caduceus snakes are happy campers about the job well done too (a little wing humor....very little :) ). The caduceus on this two inch Orber follows the Orber motif and accentuates the curvature of the bodies of the snakes, even putting an intended, as we see in the rear die stamp signature, slight curvature bend to the crown of the staff. Thank you so much John! The way Orber brings the ornate nature of their wings down to the smaller scale is matched as I see it, only by the Lux and Blackinton 2 inchers. It is a different artistic approach so apples and oranges in design but technique is excellent. Here is my favorite 2 inch wing to match your Engineer John, which I was ecstatic to find and have been happy just to mull over it at times since. Look how the prop blades are eliptical loops which start on top and fold back around and underneath....

post-76516-0-00561400-1358688485_thumb.jpg

post-76516-0-45652300-1358688495_thumb.jpg

post-76516-0-91078000-1358688506.jpg

Hello Mtnman,

Thank you for the info on the inherent flaw found in Orber-made Liaison Pilot wings. Apparently the original die was either unprofessionally rough, or sustained damage before they produced this limited run. Here's my example.

Russ

IMG_3459_crop.jpg

post-4927-0-87279800-1358701995.jpgpost-4927-0-86689300-1358701963.jpg

Here are mine.The Bombardier has had its fittings removed so it could be glued to an old display I assume, but it has the makers mark in full.

Graham

Russ,

As Always, Thank You for the most thorough and EXCELLENT examples of US Military Aviation Wings.....I have seen your posts and appreciate your dedication and devotion to the preservation of history through its tiny monuments borne upon the hearts of those men we were Blessed in this Nation to have represent the defense of our country..

Graham, you've posted some very nice "Orber" examples! Your Air Crew wing is a tough one to find! Here's an Orber Pilot and Senior Pilot badge in shirt size...

IMG_3466_crop.jpg

The radial engine of this Flight Engineer badge has been attached to a standard Pilot wing, instead of an Observer wing.

IMG_3469_crop.jpg

Gracious !! There are some really nice wings here. I really like it when the serious collectors play show and tell. Thanks to all for posting some great wings!! :)

Chris

Here are two second pattern Orber Pilot wings.

The top wing is the standard Orber with obliterated hallmark.

The lower has a all the attributes of an Orber, but clearly is a slightly

different pattern. It is simply marked sterling.

Best, John

post-12439-0-30488400-1358727774_thumb.jpg