Meyer: N.S. Meyer

ADMIN

Insigina Hunter

posted these in other Meyer marks thread but figured this topic could use them also

Mini Major insig measures 5/8inch tip to tip

post-14003-1289143925.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I know that M22 is for N.S. Meyer and the 9 over M in a shield is N.S. Meyer, but is this hallmark N.S. Meyer also? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

An old question that deserves an answer, if you havn't by now in these past two odd years found the answer :lol: it will be yes, it is the post 1964-65 Meyer code number, a peculiarity of Meyer in that they continued the style of the now superseded 1954 code 9M shield for a few years in the mid 60s into the 70s by still putting as I have found out, the 22 over the M, which when one looks at it would read 22M right, the correct codes would be the letter followed by the number, like G23 for Ira Green as an example, why Meyer did this? maybe because the still wanted to use the code shield and found that 22 would not FIT in the narrowed/tapered bottom half of the shield, but would in the broad upper half. You will see however later Meyer made badges that now have the code in the correct sequinace M22 or M-22 with no shields.

An old question that deserves an answer, if you havn't by now in these past two odd years found the answer :lol: it will be yes, it is the post 1964-65 Meyer code number, a peculiarity of Meyer in that they continued the style of the now superseded 1954 code 9M shield for a few years in the mid 60s into the 70s by still putting as I have found out, the 22 over the M, which when one looks at it would read 22M right, the correct codes would be the letter followed by the number, like G23 for Ira Green as an example, why Meyer did this? maybe because the still wanted to use the code shield and found that 22 would not FIT in the narrowed/tapered bottom half of the shield, but would in the broad upper half. You will see however later Meyer made badges that now have the code in the correct sequinace M22 or M-22 with no shields.

Ahhhh, many thanks patches. Good things come to all those who wait (or something like that).. Appreciate the info and the follow-up. Al.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
marks'militaria

So what is the date of this militia buckle.. with N.S. Meyer/New York..(no shield) ingraved in center of back.

The pics shown here is from The Union Drummer Boy site... this one doen NOT have the hallmark, and is listed at $125.00

Here in Cleveland there is one offered to me.. , the exact same workmanship, but with the above makers mark, at $20.00

post-7411-0-84182500-1368404623.jpg

post-7411-0-78572000-1368404644.jpg

Mark, this is the reference section for posting hallmarks. As you can see by the previous post, there is little discussion and not the place for identification or pricing advice.

I would suggest posting here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/1195-whats-it-worth/ or here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/4-uniforms/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Pre-WW2 (1920's - 1930's era) Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer cap anchor. N.S. Meyer New York

Note the fouled cable which later changed to a fouled chain around 1942.

post-50776-0-22240300-1387523918.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

N.S. Meyer markings

In the 20’s : screwback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” (raised), no shield

Early 30’s : screwback, “N.S. MEYER NEW YORK” + shield (engraved).

Mid 30’s to 1943 : screwback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (engraved).

WWII : pinback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (raised)

Late 40’s : Shield only (raised)

Late 40’s to early 50’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (raised and ½ size)

Early 50’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC. N.Y.C” or “N.S. MEYER, INC. N.Y.©” + shield (raised)

Mid 50’s to Mid 60’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC NY” or “N.S. MEYER, INC NEW YORK” + Shield + 9M (raised).

Mid 60’s to mid 70’s : N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield + 22M (raised)

Since mid 70’s : N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK MADE IN USA” + shield + 22M (raised).

Source : Militaria magazine, issue 272, mars 2008, p. 43.

Hope it helps.

Dan.

I have clutch back NS Meyer Inc. New York, engraved, no shield. is that same as 20's? also have same with raised, no shield.

post-150589-0-15159100-1388256622.jpg

N.S. Meyer markings

Late 40’s to early 50’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (raised and ½ size)

Early 50’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC. N.Y.C” or “N.S. MEYER, INC. N.Y.©” + shield (raised)

Mid 50’s to Mid 60’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC NY” or “N.S. MEYER, INC NEW YORK” + Shield + 9M (raised).

Since mid 70’s : N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK MADE IN USA” + shield + 22M (raised).

Hope it helps.

Dan.

Here is some information posted by GLM in another forum:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...highlight=meyer

attachicon.gifmeyer.jpg

Here's an 11th Infantry Regiment DUI that I picked up today. Screwback with shield, raised. Doesn't seem to fit any of the given eras ???....Interesting. I'm thinking early to middle 40's.

Scott

post-124172-0-72795400-1388295999.jpgpost-124172-0-45251900-1388296014.jpg

I personally think we, as collectors, put too much faith in lists and references and need to step back sometimes. Realizing that many base their thoughts and written articles based on what is current knowledge at that time, we need to remember that not every possible variation has been seen. We can only keep adding to the list as more and more examples come forward.

With a company such as N.S.. Meyer, there appear to be several variations in marks, combinations, and placement on items that one has to wonder what rhyme or reason applied.

As far as applying actual dates to markings, we need to make sure those items are attributed with a marked card, box, or whatever the item originally came issued in. Contract dates (DSA & DLA numbers) often can isolate a date down to a few months for items that do not have an actual calender date showing. Period examples are one thing, but many items continued to be produced or issued after dates we often think should be the period of manufacture.

Just my opinions.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

anybody know about shield incused with 22 only?

N.S. Meyer markings

Hope it helps.

Dan.

• 2 months later...

Here is a Quartermaster Officer's collar BOS. Raised Meyer Metal sharing the M and with the center arrow. Raised shield, not reversed. Clutch back. Shows some age. What era? Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-62897300-1414612667.jpg

post-12790-0-99603900-1414612701.jpg

I collect mainly QM stuff, so based on what I've researched and collected, this type of eagle would be from post-1935 (when they insignia was redesigned to having an eagle with its head up) through maybe early WWII. The wing shapes changed over the years as well. I'm planning on taking some photos of this to post as a reference on this site sometime soon.

I collect mainly QM stuff, so based on what I've researched and collected, this type of eagle would be from post-1935 (when they insignia was redesigned to having an eagle with its head up) through maybe early WWII. The wing shapes changed over the years as well. I'm planning on taking some photos of this to post as a reference on this site sometime soon.

We look foward to it, it will be Meyer marked yes?