WWII dated 30 cal Carbine brass

LtRGFRANK

I got close to 2,000 rds of 30 cal Carbine brass from my son that he inherited from his late brother-in-law. As I was sorting it after tumbling it I'm coming up with quite a bit of 43-44-45 dated brass. I'm going to reload the 43-44 dated brass as soon as I come up with the proper bullet. I would guess 110 gr FMJ. I wonder is there a special collectablity to 45 dated WWII brass. I'm thinking of taking it to a gun show in a couple of weeks

Robert

I cant say I know of any certain dates of brass that brings more or is more collectible than others for carbine brass.Most of what I encounter is the 50s era stuff.There are a few boxes that show up that are WW2 dated but not often.To me the value is in the brass itself.From what I have been seeing lately here the componets are getting tought to find for any of the common caliburs.Even .22 shell are again becoming hard to find as the buying frenzy of the stock pilers are cleaning out the shelves at any store I have been to.Primers,powder etc are ususally out of stock an hour or so if they store has gotten it in.I heard that one of the Sportsmans Wharehouses had .22 ammo last weekend but didnt have it in the case.You had to ask and then they would only sell one box/brick to you at a time.I figure we will see also a regulation of ammo sales so your brass may turn to gold ;):lol:

Frank,

In my relaoding days, I used to take the brass you are talking about, leave the expended primers in it, reload a ball round and then sell it as dummy rounds for the perfectionist to load magazines and clips with. I have had cases where guys wanted unexpended primers, so I would soak the primers in WD-40, and load them as dummies.

The only thing of concern with old brass is that it tends to get brittle. Firing once is not a usual problem, but when it starts being used several times over, more likely to split or worse, case head seperate. I have found that if you tumble it and it has a red look to the brass, that stuff tends to be the most suseptible to being brittle.

The 43 dated brass has been reloaded once but looks mint. I'm going to load it live just for display. I have over 1,000 rds of commercial Win that I'm going to load for shooting if I can find bullets. All my suppliers are sold at at the moment. Crazy world. Since we can't get political on this Forum I'll hold my comments. Bob