1970s USAF 4-star General uniform, ID help!

MattS

I am negotiating to purchase this uniform, but there is no name with it. It is a 1971 McConnell style, blue shade 1549 coat with direct embroidered stars, "US"s, and command wings. The "US" insignia is not in the normally accepted position closer to the center of the lapels. Given the low position of the wings, there were probably only 3 rows of ribbons. Even at 4 across (as the USAF sometimes does) that is still about a dozen ribbons. The 1971 acceptance date narrows it down to about two dozen 4-stars on active duty during the early-mid 1970s. I hope someone here will be able to help me narrow down my search further, thanks!

post-32676-0-27515700-1357486290.jpg

post-32676-0-68362500-1357486316.jpg

Matt...IIRC, member tsakers85 specializes in this kind of GO collectible. Might be worth shooting him a PM?

Ian

Matt

Shouldn't there be a wider cuff band for a general officer?

Nope, the USAF generals didn't get the wider cuff braid until 1994 with the "retrofit" uniform.

Matt...IIRC, member tsakers85 specializes in this kind of GO collectible. Might be worth shooting him a PM?

Ian

Thanks Ian, I will do that. And congratulations on your 'promotion'!

Nope, the USAF generals didn't get the wider cuff braid until 1994 with the "retrofit" uniform.

I did not know that! I'll never keep straight all of the USAF uniform changes.

I don't own this uniform, but I asked the seller and they stated the wings "looks like it is sewn into the fabric". They did send this photo.

post-32676-0-12640400-1357531068_thumb.jpg

I did not know that! I'll never keep straight all of the USAF uniform changes.

It is true, even the Chief of Staff (with his special unique service cap) had the same cuff braid as a second lieutenant. Must be why General Hoyt Vandenberg looks so ticked off.

post-32676-0-85004300-1357531794.jpg

Johnny Signor

Did they check all the inside pockets/seams etc for any name/id markings, sometimes they're in out of the way places , see if they can check...........................

CNY Militaria

They said they have checked and could not find any name. Without a name, I feel it is not worth nearly as much as an identified one.

You are very correct in that assessment. If you are looking for an ID'd USAF GO uniform, wait for a solid one, as they pop up every few months on ebay or elsewhere.

Yeah, without an ID and without definite markings of how many rows the guy wore left as "scarring" marks in the lining on the left chest, this one would be tough to pin down. I wouldn't put out too much on it if I were buying it.

Sadly, it would probably be worth more if it was worn by George C. Scott. Anyone remember Johnny Cash's USAF enlisted shirt and pants that sold for $11,520?

post-32676-0-14960300-1357674250_thumb.jpg

Or the prop leather jacket worn by Frank Sinatra in "Von Ryan's Express" and made famous by Colonel Hogan that sold for $40,000? An authentic 4-star uniform for $250 seems like a bargain by comparison!

post-32676-0-93904700-1357674419.jpg

The last ribbon is the regular KW service ribbon...but I'm not sure what the miniature eagle motif on it is meant to represent?!