Color photos of Iwo Jima landing.

strawberry 9

Are these the Whelan photos from the USS Sanborne?

Incredible I've seen many of his photos but not these!!

Thanks!

Leonardo

Leonardo..I posted some color slides from the Iwo Jima invasion back in Feb 2012, that were taken from the USS Newberry an attack transport. I dont know how to link to the page, but it came by search Iwo Jima Color Slides.

I think I have seen these before. manyb years ago Iw as at the Archives and this lady came in with some slides. The archivists were all "oooh!" and Aaaah" over them at another table. So I wandered over. They were slides taken by her husband at Iwo when he was in charge of a landing craft.

Said her husvband had his camera and figured it was a kind of important event. She had ZERO clue as to how important they were and was kind of embarrassed ot even bring them in.

They were just amazing. At the time they were going to make her a dupe copy to keep, and she was going to donate them, but I used to ask in my next visits about them, and no one had heard a thing. So I wondered what had happened.

They looked very much like these (in my memory) but then it could be a different person. Any idea where these came from? website? etc.

Post #16 could be the walking barrage that I've read so much about in the many Iwo books I've read,

That was feared by many of the initial landing forces as the Japanese had dialed in every meter of the beach.

Once the walking started it was dig in, move off the beach or get killed.

LF

One of my Iwo navy jumpers is from a sailor on the Sanborn, incredible that he was on the ship when these photos were taken.

The sanborn lost a lot of officers killed on the Iwo landing and one of the beach party sailors earned a Silver Star.

Incredible ship!

Leonardo