M1's used on Parris Island or Guadalcanal?

foxcompany1944

RustyCanteen

Yes, sort of.

The Marines adopted the M1 in 1941, but the commitment to outfitting a rapidly expanding prewar Army meant that the Marines were dependent on the M1903 even during the landing at Guadalcanal in August 1942. However, some of the Army units that landed a little later brought M1 rifles with them.

See this old thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/159427-is-it-true-the-army-had-better-weapons-and-were-more-equipt-than-the-marines/page__st__20#entry1209018

Hello,

I am asuming your are refering to WW2 ? so I will try to adress for both Army and USMC

The Army used the M1 on Guadalcanal, when the 164th Infantry Regiment relieved the 1st Marine Division in OCT 1943.

The Marine Corps generic rifle was the M1903, even thought the Army adopted the M1 in '36.

As with all things, the Corps conducted multiple tests of the M1, in 1938.

The M1 was standardised by the Corps by June 26 1942. It was not unil early 1943 that the M1903 was replaced in any great numbers.

REF: Grunt Gear By Alec S Tulkoff, Chapt. 4, pp. 242 - 247.

So based on this information and a study of original images from Eric Hammel's USMC eBook series, No M1's on Guadalcanal (OP Watchtower) in 1942, I do not believe that any of the initial tests of the M1 were conducted at Parris Island. I do not think you will see an M1 until 1943 on the Island. After 1943 you will see Marines M1's on Guadalcanal as the Island was a staging/training area.

I hope this helps, and I hope others will chime in with pearls of wisdom.

Cheers

Sean

Though the 164th Inf Reg N.D. Nat'l Gaurd was GOOD; I don't believe they replaced the entire 1st Marine Div Oct. 1942. They did howsomever bring their M-1 Garands with them and used them to devestating effect. The Marines were much impressed with the effect of this weapon.

Though the 164th Inf Reg N.D. Nat'l Gaurd was GOOD; I don't believe they replaced the entire 1st Marine Div Oct. 1942. They did howsomever bring their M-1 Garands with them and used them to devestating effect. The Marines were much impressed with the effect of this weapon.

Yes you are quite correct, should read 'Re inforced with some 2, 800 men'...I guess you could look at that as quite a relief for the 1st Marine Division :)

There were M-1's at Parris Island in late 1941. Obviously these did not make it to the canal but the Marine Corps was fielding them as early as late 1941 at least at PI. Check out the image attached. It's somewhat difficult to make this out given that I had to shrink this down but the M-1s are clearly visible. The recruit 2nd from the left in the third row from the bottom was Perley W. Sargent of Co. B 1st Bn 8th Marines MIA Tarawa November 20, 1943.

post-2182-0-19515200-1357023442_thumb.jpg

That is a great image devildog, with a good mix of M1903 and M1 and in 1941 to boot. Just goes to show that you never say never. Thank you :)

The M1903 was in use at least as late as the Tarawa battle. There is well-known color footage of a Marine in a cammo jacket and helmet cover steadily cranking off rounds from his '03. The editors always seem to cut to other footage before he finishes the magazine, though. Anyone know what I am talking about?

foxcompany1944

The marines in WW2. I've been told that on Guadalcanal the marines were steeling M1 Garands from the army.

first time my uncle saw a m1 he was told by his gunny it was a piece of s##t, he was in the 1st wave hitting the beach on the canal,said all in his outfit hated the m1,but they loved the johnson,marine raiders had them on the island and once he did get to shoot one,

i have been told by more than one marine who were present when the army arrived on the canal, that the marines would send out raiding partys to steal the new M1s because they were semi

semper fi

conn

There is a glib story ( probably just a early WWII Servicemen's joke at any rate ) of a 1st Marine Division Marine following around a GI of either the Americal or 25th Infantry Division on the Canal. When the GI said hey there fella why you keep following me around? the Marine goes or something to effect , if you get hit I want to be the first to get your Garand! :D

My grandfather (6th Marines) said that there were many Marines who "acquired" through a midnight requisition some M-1s you could see the exposed gas cylinder in formation he said. It did happen and he personally witnessed several men in L Company 3rd Bn 6th Marines with them.